993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspense about suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with JIC / Cross due to the dual nature...street/track. They have a helper spring that helps some on the street. That said, I track it, so keep it pretty stiff.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I think the Bilstein HDs are valved weirdly. High-speed compression dampening is not very harsh in the absolute sense, but it is harsh with respect to the rest of the package. You still get a decent bit of body roll on the track with the HD/M030 set-up, but it isn't compliant enough with bumps/ruts on the street to justify its softness where it matters. Just the opinion of someone who has tracked his car and driven it on city streets...

I think I agree with this. I think that the HDs are overdamped on compression. I am pretty happy with mine (I have H&R springs), but think the Konis on my 968 are better shocks all around. It may not be worth the extra price, but I think the adjustability of PSS10s or maybe KWs would avoid the issues I perceive the HDs to have. And +1 on the tire pressure comments (having 285 30s on the rear of mine probably doesn't help the issues I am talking about).
Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

PSS10's are not a track suspension, it's a good street suspension. Really it rides better then OEM US M030 setup. They are totally worth the price, but really I don't see many adjusting them much. I got mine set up kind of soft, & then just click the back a few click tighter for the track. But it's a little soft for the track, & you don't get enough adjustment out of it to really dial in the car with them.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey guys! I went with the HD setup! Pickup today!!!

I'll post follow up later. One more opinion to confuse everybody.... that's what we need.
Miguel
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great choice, although you really couldn't go wrong either way.

I put Bilstein HD / ROW M030's on last year, and the transformation from worn, stock shocks was substantive. I found the ride firm, but not harsh.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a big fan of my HDs (or any Bilsteins for that matter) - too much compression dampening for less than perfect roads. Have you considered KW Variant 3s? Colin (Ninemeister) has great things to say about them. I'm going to give them a shot when I finally get my car lift installed......
Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
PSS10's are not a track suspension, it's a good street suspension. Really it rides better then OEM US M030 setup. They are totally worth the price, but really I don't see many adjusting them much. ...
This is comforting feedback since I went with the PSS10s overe the HDs and will have them installed in a few weeks. Now I just hope the H&R sways aren't too much for the car.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
I'm not a big fan of my HDs (or any Bilsteins for that matter) - too much compression dampening for less than perfect roads. Have you considered KW Variant 3s? Colin (Ninemeister) has great things to say about them. I'm going to give them a shot when I finally get my car lift installed......
I am curious if Colin has done a comparison to the updated pss10's. Did Bilstein change anything other than the adjustment?

-dto
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Twins:
You're in Tampa now right? You are welcome to drive my M030/HDs anytime. I'm in Montana until Sunday night, but shoot me a PM and we'll get together so you can decide for yourself...
Rick
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twinreds
I'll post follow up later. One more opinion to confuse everybody.... that's what we need.
Miguel
Twinreds, just wondering if you have a follow up for us on this, I'm currently debating the PSS10 vs HD, M030 package from Carnewal with sways? I'm just looking for my car to handle the very best that it can.

Any other opinions would be welcome information for me on suspensions,

Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ironimages
.....I'm just looking for my car to handle the very best that it can....
In that case you should be thinking only coilover setups rather than spring/shocks...and choosing between PSS-10s vs KW v3 vs H&R (not a fan but some people are). Once you throw in the cost of alignment and install then the incremental cost (in percentage terms) is not that large. Being able to adjust for not only height but also rebound and damping makes a big difference.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
In that case you should be thinking only coilover setups rather than spring/shocks...and choosing between PSS-10s vs KW v3 vs H&R (not a fan but some people are). Once you throw in the cost of alignment and install then the incremental cost (in percentage terms) is not that large. Being able to adjust for not only height but also rebound and damping makes a big difference.

Excellent point. For what I've spent on tweaking the set-up on my HD's, I could have / should have gone the coilover route.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
cmat
Racer

What sort of tire pressures are you running for the street with 18" wheels? With TechArt springs and HD's my ride is pretty harsh with the recommended 36/44 psi. I reduced these pressures a few pounds and it definitely took the edge off the harshness but I don't want to go too far.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
twinreds
Racer

Originally Posted by ironimages
Twinreds, just wondering if you have a follow up for us on this, I'm currently debating the PSS10 vs HD, M030 package from Carnewal with sways? I'm just looking for my car to handle the very best that it can.

Any other opinions would be welcome information for me on suspensions,

Thanks
In my opinion, the HD M030 is a little stiffer, but not unbearable. The car shows no roll and handling is definitely improved. I think the only advantage of the PSS10 is the adjustability, but if you want handling, you will end up dialing it into what HD's are; so why spend the extra $$?

Last edited by twinreds; 07-30-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
twinreds
Racer

BTW: Rick, I had completely forgotten of this post. I would live to meet you. I'm in Tampa, at least for now...

Quick Reply: Suspense about suspension