Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspense about suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009 | 03:41 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David in LA
In that case you should be thinking only coilover setups rather than spring/shocks...and choosing between PSS-10s vs KW v3 vs H&R (not a fan but some people are). Once you throw in the cost of alignment and install then the incremental cost (in percentage terms) is not that large. Being able to adjust for not only height but also rebound and damping makes a big difference.

Thanks David, this is good to know, I will be looking at the other options. What price would I be looking for the shocks and install?
Old 07-30-2009 | 03:44 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by beers4all
Excellent point. For what I've spent on tweaking the set-up on my HD's, I could have / should have gone the coilover route.
Beers,

Thanks for the comment as this is what I'm trying to avoid, I would sooner pay once now, than 3 more times in the future!

Mark
Old 07-30-2009 | 06:10 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ironimages
Beers,

Thanks for the comment as this is what I'm trying to avoid, I would sooner pay once now, than 3 more times in the future!

Mark
Unfortunately, I did just that. HD's/H&R springs too harsh for me for street driving. I had them replaced with PSS10's in June which cost me $2400 for the parts and $1100 to install and align/corner balance the car. I did sell the first setup of shocks/springs for about 75% of what I paid so there's some relief. PSS10's are a massive improvement IMHO. I started with a stiffer than factory sport setting and have since gone one notch stiffer all the way around. Will probably go up one more notch before I'm satisfied. I also replaced the shot rear toe-link rods with ERP adjustables at the same time. Car corners flat now, but ride is close to stock-comfortable around town and on the freeway, mission accomplished.
Old 07-31-2009 | 10:35 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Thanks JPP:

I think you just tipped my scale toward the PSS10's. BTW nice white 993....... sweet!
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ironimages
Thanks JPP:

I think you just tipped my scale toward the PSS10's. BTW nice white 993....... sweet!
Thanks for the kind words, as with most cars around here, she's a work in progress. You will be more than pleased with your decision. Believe me, stepping through trial and error to learn is overrated
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:20 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Being a new owner of a stock 1998 C2S, I need to get to know the jargon? What are PSS10's? Wo makes them, etc and costs? Maybe matt777 here also in Alberta can enlighten...

Bert
Calgary, Albera
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:23 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

I just had Bilstein PSS10's installed. Cost including labor and an alignment was $3200. I had the car lowered to 'just below Euro ride height'. Went back & forth about lowering but really glad I did.

The difference is amazing. I haven't messed with the adjustability yet, but I think the fronts are 5 and the rear 7. Car handles like it's on rails.

If anyone in the PNW is interested, I got the work done at German Master Tech in bend OR. Very satisfied with the price and workmanship.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:37 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ocean Blue C2S
Being a new owner of a stock 1998 C2S, I need to get to know the jargon? What are PSS10's? Wo makes them, etc and costs? Maybe matt777 here also in Alberta can enlighten...

Bert
Calgary, Albera
It's an adjustable coil over shock made by Bilstein. They run around $2300. The shocks are 10 way adjustable compression/rebound. They have a big tender spring, that makes them run smooth on small bumps.

Paul congrats on the 10's! Didn't take you long to start the upgrades! I take it your stock stuff was toast?
Old 07-31-2009 | 12:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ocean Blue C2S

Bert
Calgary, Albera
Hey Bert,
Congrats on your new car. PSS10 is a monotube, adjustable coilover suspension developed by Bilstein. Here's a link to Tireracks explanation:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...+Coil-Over+Kit

Gives you 10 settings for ride firmness and almost infinite ride height adjustability without having to remove anything to do the adjustments.
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:04 PM
DryFly
Advanced

+1 on PSS10's. wrestled with all the same issues and concerns. Ultimatly, spent a few extra bucks and never will look back. GREAT upgrade. Paul K. is right about Tim Morris at German Master Tech in Bend, OR. They did a very good job! I hear they even throw in a few driving pointers on the test drive

When in doubt, get the best. No regrets. Right Paul?
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:07 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

I posted earlier on this thread prior to my decision. I finally opted for the PSS10s. W/ labor I paid about $3,300. I have messed w/ the adjustability. Currently, have 4 on rears and 3 on fronts. Had the car lowered to just below Euro as well. I love it. HUGE difference in both appearance and handling. I have not had any problems scraping speed bumps/driveways etc, so haven't bought a FPB yet. No regrets.
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DryFly
+1 on PSS10's. wrestled with all the same issues and concerns. Ultimatly, spent a few extra bucks and never will look back. GREAT upgrade. Paul K. is right about Tim Morris at German Master Tech in Bend, OR. They did a very good job! I hear they even throw in a few driving pointers on the test drive

When in doubt, get the best. No regrets. Right Paul?
There's the difference between prices/labor rates in Nor Cal and the Pacific Northwest, gotta love that price and better yet, in Oregon, NO SALES TAX!!
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:23 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul K
I just had Bilstein PSS10's installed. Cost including labor and an alignment was $3200. I had the car lowered to 'just below Euro ride height'. Went back & forth about lowering but really glad I did.

The difference is amazing. I haven't messed with the adjustability yet, but I think the fronts are 5 and the rear 7. Car handles like it's on rails.

If anyone in the PNW is interested, I got the work done at German Master Tech in bend OR. Very satisfied with the price and workmanship.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks go's out to all you guy's this has helped me tremendously!

Paul, could you do me a favor a post a before and after shot of your car I'd like to see the difference in ride height.

Mark
Old 07-31-2009 | 01:45 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

DryFly:

Now I know how much I have to learn!

Mark:

Before:

After:

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-31-2009 | 05:19 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Paul: Wow! what a difference! I love the look!, Did you do the stabilizer bars also? How is the handling now? Love the MY02's... they look fantastic.

Quick Reply: Suspense about suspension