Sponsored by:

Guards Red?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
DJ993
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guards Red?

I'm still hunting for a good 993 (btw, thanks to all of you who gave me feedback on the other one I was recently looking at). I have to admit I've never been a big fan of red cars other than Ferraris -- I guess I always figured they'd be the first ones noticed by the police, drunks, etc. And, these days, the popular colors for newer cars seem to be silver, white, black, and other dark colors. I guess I like blending in a bit more...

But, I've come across a Guards Red '96 that is very clean, been well-maintained, has some nice options, etc., with Cashmere interior. Frankly, I'd ****** it up without thinking more about it (subject to a good PPI!) if it weren't red. So, have any of you been in a similar situation, bought the Guards Red car, and then totally fell in love with that color? Anyone buy a Guards Red car and later wished they'd kept looking until they found a different color?

Dave

Last edited by DJ993; 01-23-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate words
Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a few red 911's, and even a 944. While certainly not the signature color it once was, I still like it. I'd be more concerned about the CAR. But in this market, why settle?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
cmoss

Mine is GR w/ a Cashmere interior, and I like it. But then I really like red--specially Guards Red. It isn't wimpy, it has lots of blue, nice, dark, and bold. If it it is in decent condition if looks great waxed--or prepped with whatever emoliants you favor. I think it can tend to show scratches, like black, but nowhere near as bad.

Color is a personal choice... How finicky are you?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also one who prefers to blend in. You would never guess as I somehow ended up with a red 911 and a yellow 911. I also don't care for tan interiors.

So, I found the right car and it happened to be red with cashmere. I love it now. It is really a beautiful car and the color hides dirt without being a "vanilla" color like silver or white. Also, the cashmere interior looks good and seems to age better than black if you keep the carpet clean. I'd prefer red with grey interior but that's a tough combo to find.

Other than blue, there is no other color 993 I would rather have than red.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM
james944
Instructor

I was in this situation too. I wanted a stone gray car, just like my 944, and red was the last color I wanted (well maybe sand beige was the last color...), but came across a guards red car with a tan interior that I couldn't pass on and now I do really like it. If the car checks out, don't let the red stop you. I can't imagine you won't come to love it.

If you need a little help in liking guards red porsches (not 993s, but you'll get the idea), check out the guards red thread my Dad started with pictures of my car the day he took me to pick it up:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...wn-thread.html
Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I always dreamed of a red 911 and my first one ended up being black on black. I found my current C4 cab, red and cashmere and while I do love it, if I were in the market for one now, I'd probably lean towards another color. That's for a couple of reasons:

1. The Guards Red is so stereotypical and folks make lots of comments about it as a mid-life crisis car. Doesn't help that it's a cab.

2. I've really fallen in love w/ the Rivera and Mexico Blue colors so they'd be very high on my list to replace it. Much more rare than GR for sure.

3. I've seen quite a few Speed Yellow ones and really love them too.

But as others have said, if the car is solid, that's probably more important as long as you're not just dead set on a specific color.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Porsche lust was kindled by an Guards Red 911 back in '88. Still one of my dream cars....

On a practical level....red does attract attention, some the kind you don't want....policemen. I like to be more stealthy than GR.

I was infatuated with Arena Red when I was 993 hunting. Polar silver was my second choice. I ended up finding a Polar Silver car in the end and I'm quite happy with it. Once you are inside, the outside color doesn't really matter.

But when I do see an Arena Red 993.....mmmm, something between long lost love and just pure, wanton, lusty desire.... And I still think one day, one day....
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I too didn't want a red car but I bought the car and not the colour and after a while the colour has really grown on me, now I love having a red car. People in the business are hearing from buyers that they want anything but silver, it is so over sold.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was originally looking for a white 993 C2S when I came across my current 993.... first red car I've ever owned and now really like the color as it has grown on me.

Dave, I have a friend who just decided to sell his Artic Silver low mileage C2 over here in Spokane. If you're interested let me know and I can hook you up with him if you didn't see the post. See pictures in the "Any interest" thread I posted earlier today.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 PM
mce993
Track Day

Why would you want any other color? I've got a 96 in Guards Red with a black leather interior and sports seats and love it. Don't think. Go for it!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I wanted red also...Look what I ended up with...
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Didn't want red but now glad I got it! Too much attention sometimes though and I find myself going out for late night backroad country missions where I don't have ricers messing with me.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 AM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

I started out wanting anything but red. Followed my current one from Pelican-->PCA-->Autotrader-->ebay and viewed it so much I started to get attracted to it. While searching saw an Adveturine green one with bright red interior and while not for me, it kind of looked like fun. That clicked. It's supposed to look like fun.

Just about every time I get in the car I can't believe I considered anything but red. It just looks so right.

So that's my story of how I ended up in red.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your post reads very much like one of my very first on this site.

In searching for my car I knew I wanted a 6spd and I wanted it to be a cab.

My 1st choice for a color would have been silver with black leather, but I came across my car and it just all seemed right. ...............Right seller, records, great PPI, good price, right options, etc... AND it just happened to be Red on tan.

I thought long and hard about passing on the car due to it being red for some reasons listed above: mid life crisis-ish, flashy enough just being a convert, noticed by the cops, thought it would fade easily, and so on. In the end I am very happy with my car and the color has really grown (for lack of a better word) on me. The 993 looks really nice in Guards Red, classic Porsche IMHO. My '95 has no clearcoat and is pretty easy to get the finish looking super clear, clean and wet looking. Find the right 993.......if it happens to be red, it happens to be red. As I have told non-Pcar owning friends, you can only be so picky when shopping for a 13 year old car.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

You will love Guards Red in the sun:

Harry

Quick Reply: Guards Red?