Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Another more likely theory is that the earlier 95 cars are more prone to stalling than the later 95s. (Nile, is you car an early 95?) Recall that there are 2 versions of the non-drive block ECU for the US 95 cars. (For those of you who are interested, there's more info on the ecu differences in my v-ram conversion write-up). Perhaps the later 95 ecu (which is v-ram compatable with the right chip) is also better able to compensate for the LWF.

(I just love this stuff)
Yes, mine's an early car, 4/94 build. No drive block ECU. What's the other ECU number?

I have to get to John D's house at some point when it's warm to have him help me with ICV adjustment. I think his magic touch might help.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can see from the above responses, people's experiences as to stalling differ. OBD is a US polution control system right? If so, I do not have it and still experienced very significant stalling issues on my 1996. I cannot say whether this was mainly attributable to the LWF and/or the 9M sport cams. The problem was much as described above - the system was just not fast enough to detect idle. After much anguish and having two different shops try and cure the stalling, I totally cured the issue by changing from Motronic to Motec engine management and no longer using the air mass sensor but a manifold sensor, and having brand new engine mapping. I undertook this at no small cost, not just to cure the idle issue but to get the most performance out of my modified engine and 100 cell cats. The stalling was maddening and this is what I ended up as pre Motec, but in the end it was all worth it:
Attached Images  

Last edited by TargaTango; 01-11-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I have an early build '95 with the lwf and have an occasional stall when my lights are on and I downshift (from say 3rd to 2nd) while simultaneously making a turn. I can also get the car to stall if I dump the clutch coming to a stop - also when my lights are on.

In normal driving with the lights off I usually cannot get the car to stall if I try. Strangely, a/c operation doesn't cause the car to stall.

To date, here's what I've done to address the stalling issue:

1. thoroughly clean the ISV every 3k miles (I really should install a new unit);
2. slightly adjusted the ISV to raise idle revs to around 900rpm (I need bump the idle again since it has since settled back down); and
3. installed a Steve Weiner chip

I didn't know about cleaning the MAF and throttle body. That's next on the list when time permits. The lwf was installed as part of a comprehensive top-end rebuild that also replaced all the 'while your in there' stuff including various gaskets, etc...I'll have my indy do a vacuum test this spring.

My initial impression after the first drive with the lwf installed was that the car felt much more responsive and seemed to get up to speed quicker. Since I don't track the car I'm not sure if I'd do it again, but the car does feel a little sharper and the gear noise doesn't bother me one bit. I'm drawn to the longhood (lwb 69-73) 911's since they have a reputation for being tons of fun to drive, sharp throttled and quick-feeling despite the low hp numbers. I feel that the lwf on a 993 helps to capture a bit of that experience, with much more creature comforts.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Mighty J
Rennlist Member

I just put in a LWF last spring, in conjuncion with a Steve W chip and a Dach X 200 CEL sport cat (98 C2S). Zero stalls, a little gear chatter, and honestly not even sure I had to change my driving style at all to accomodate it, aside from intientionl throttle blips for grins. My car has stock sport mufflers and I already had a Carrera Cup airbox (best bang for the buck imagineable), however, I still get the impression that the airflow out the back end needs to be opened up more, so a LPMM bypass is on the agenda for this spring as its clear that with all the opening up for increase airflow if it cannot get out the back end, its for naught. Kinda disappointed that the throttle response is not more noticeably improved; I did expect more free revving experience. The car, on the track is SOP noticeabley faster, perceiveable even at my low skill level.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

No regrets here, although my car is a race car that is prepped for G class. My '95 used to have occasional stalling issues on the street, something I haven't experienced in a while for whatever reason. I will say that I don't feel much of a difference, but that can be easily attributable to the unreliability of the seat-of-the-pants dyno.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Yes, mine's an early car, 4/94 build. No drive block ECU. What's the other ECU number?
Mike,

Here are the '95 ECU's:
  • 0.261.203.679;
  • 0.261.203.674;
  • 0.261.203.675 (late model build '95 with drive block)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

No stalling, no regrets, the engine definitely revs faster than a 96 with a DMF, and I love the simplicity of the system with less things to go wrong....I guess us ODB-II boys now have a reply when the 95 boys start slagging the SAI issue!!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
icelatte
Racer

I have a late build 95 with OBD1. I got stalling during every drive when I first had it. Cleaned the ISV, no change, then I adjusted the ISV to bump the idle to 750-800 with all the lights, radio, air on. Since then, it's once in a great while that I stall. I think there are small vacuum leaks that should be diagnosed as well to help with the issue.

End of the day, it revs freely but I'm probably numb to any performance benefit it provides. I wouldn't replace a perfectly good clutch and flywheel with one but if I had to replace them, I would go with the LWF again as this is my weekend and track car.

If this were my daily driver and I never saw the track - DMF for sure.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regretted, I would say no.

Disappointed in the occassional stall--yes.

When mine stalls, it usually is back to back stalls, or back to back to back on occasion. If I were to do it all over again, I wouldnt do it knowing all the issues with a 95.

Even after the ISV was completely cleaned, 60k tune, and 4 stops at the shop to address the problem when the LWF was installed (almost 5 years ago), I give up. I dont have the time or care to even deal with it any more.

When the time comes where the transmission needs to be dropped, the DMF is going back in. Or, I just may have it done in an upcoming project.

Anyone who goes with a LWF and a 95, there is a 70% percent chance you will deal with a stall. I polled it back several months ago and that was the real world statistic on this board.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 257 Posts

No regrets, but it's in a track car. My previous '95 street car stalled very occasionally, but it was still a great mod.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Good thread. I was considering going LWF when it's time for mine, but I'm leaning towards just going back stock now. Mine's not a DD, but closer to that than a weekend only car and since a lot of mine is city driving, I think it would frustrate me if it happened.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
Good thread. I was considering going LWF when it's time for mine, but I'm leaning towards just going back stock now. Mine's not a DD, but closer to that than a weekend only car and since a lot of mine is city driving, I think it would frustrate me if it happened.
Frustrating: The one word to sum it all up.

At least in my situation.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy has an early 95 C2 with LWF (bought car from a RLer with my help) and it stalls all the time. My buddy is a good driver, but not a complete enthusiast. He is what I would call an average shifter. His stalls constantly. And it is driving him nuts. I may suggest that he goes back to a DMF, but don't really know the cost.

Adjusting the idle is a good suggestion.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mike,

Here are the '95 ECU's:
  • 0.261.203.679;
  • 0.261.203.674;
  • 0.261.203.675 (late model build '95 with drive block)
Hey Mark,

According to my info, Late ECU are 0.261.203.674 (no drive block) 0.261.203.675 (drive block). However early 95s (no drive block) are Porsche # 993.618.123.02 / Bosch # 0.261.203.163. I think the number ending 679 you quoted is a Euro ECU w/drive block.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
As you can see from the above responses, people's experiences as to stalling differ. OBD is a US polution control system right? If so, I do not have it and still experienced very significant stalling issues on my 1996. I cannot say whether this was mainly attributable to the LWF and/or the 9M sport cams. The problem was much as described above - the system was just not fast enough to detect idle. After much anguish and having two different shops try and cure the stalling, I totally cured the issue by changing from Motronic to Motec engine management and no longer using the air mass sensor but a manifold sensor, and having brand new engine mapping. I undertook this at no small cost, not just to cure the idle issue but to get the most performance out of my modified engine and 100 cell cats. The stalling was maddening and this is what I ended up as pre Motec, but in the end it was all worth it:
Not exactly. The OBD is system is a diagnostic system which monitors a number of functions. All 993s came with either OBD-I or OBD-II from the factory. Your car being ROW was originally equipped with OBD-I as was the RS for which the LWF was designed.

I think it's important to refer back to the list of possible cause of stalling referenced earlier. I'm not sure I totally buy into the OBD-I theory as again the RS was so-equipped. Also, as you can see, some people with OBD-II cars also experienced this problem. As a result, it's really important to ensure your car's ICV and vacuum system is functioning properly.

Quick Reply: Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?