Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964sepp
to make it clear: a LWF has no influence on power or torque, it just reduces the (rotatory) mass, the engine has to accellerate. Lighter wheels will show the same effect
I'm no authority on the subject of physics but I believe power output is affected because it is a function of torque and rotational speed, and a lighter flywheel will spin faster than a heavier one, given the same amount of (non-zero) torque is applied. No?

Anyway, my real point is that some folks claim that a lighter flywheel makes a noticeable difference in performance (acceleration, I presume). I think this is all imagined - the car feels more responsive and therefore "faster".

So, has anyone who feels there is a performance difference actually measured it (dyno? 0-60? anything?) with and without a LWF?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way its been described to me, less fly wheel mass means the engine works less hard to accelerate and therefore a quicker throttle response, hence quicker car.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonF
I have an early build '95 with the lwf and have an occasional stall when my lights are on and I downshift (from say 3rd to 2nd) while simultaneously making a turn. I can also get the car to stall if I dump the clutch coming to a stop - also when my lights are on.

In normal driving with the lights off I usually cannot get the car to stall if I try. Strangely, a/c operation doesn't cause the car to stall.

To date, here's what I've done to address the stalling issue:

1. thoroughly clean the ISV every 3k miles (I really should install a new unit);
2. slightly adjusted the ISV to raise idle revs to around 900rpm (I need bump the idle again since it has since settled back down); and
3. installed a Steve Weiner chip

I didn't know about cleaning the MAF and throttle body. That's next on the list when time permits. The lwf was installed as part of a comprehensive top-end rebuild that also replaced all the 'while your in there' stuff including various gaskets, etc...I'll have my indy do a vacuum test this spring.

My initial impression after the first drive with the lwf installed was that the car felt much more responsive and seemed to get up to speed quicker. Since I don't track the car I'm not sure if I'd do it again, but the car does feel a little sharper and the gear noise doesn't bother me one bit. I'm drawn to the longhood (lwb 69-73) 911's since they have a reputation for being tons of fun to drive, sharp throttled and quick-feeling despite the low hp numbers. I feel that the lwf on a 993 helps to capture a bit of that experience, with much more creature comforts.
Jason, have you tried blipping the throttle as you downshift going into your turn, to keep the revs up? If so has this worked?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No regrets

I've enjoyed the upgrade on my 96 C4. I've had zero issues with idle but that is the benefit of the OBD II system on the 96. The car definitely has more gear noise at idle - clutch out, and low RPM. I do like the quicker throttle response and after a year with the setup I would still recommend it to anyone who needs to accomplish a clutch/MFW change.

Quick Reply: Has anyone regreted changing to the LWF?