speakers replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 AM
henrymug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers replacement

my factory speakers are cracked.

I asked the shop for MBquart options, but they say it is costly.

the shop recommended Phoenix Gold R5.0 as a value for money option.

any good?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These prices will be lower than you'll get at installer shops, but will give you a frame of reference for speaker costs. I've called on speakers that these guys don't have but they do have a pretty complete list so it makes for a good reference if nothing else.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/Main_..._Speakers.aspx

A markup from a retailer is to be expected. The amount you are willing to tolerate is up to you.

Virtually all speaker manufacturers sell speakers in multiple quality/price tiers. MB Quart has plenty of inexpensive speakers. It's possible your installer gets better margins on Phoenix Gold stuff and/or that's what he keeps in stock. He may have MB quart in stock but maybe only the higher tiers. If you see something you like online, ask him what it will take for him to order. If he doesn't stock them, he'd be ordering one pair from his wholesaler and probably gets minimal discount - and he's going to protect his margin by charging you more unless you negotiate.

We used to make fun of Phoenix Gold a long time ago. I honestly don't know how good they are. It looks like they have butyl surrounds on most models so at least they won't rot off like the foams on the factory speakers.

Seriously, if you want MB Quarts, hold out for them or go to another installer.

dave
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 AM
henrymug
Advanced

thanks Dave,

the price on the site seems like 40% of retail prices... to good to be true?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 AM
henrymug
Advanced

for 993, what are the sizes of the 3 speakers on the door?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 AM
henrymug
Advanced

any help please?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

I don't have the hi fi option. Searched around and found the part numbers for the woofer and midrange but none of the sites have sizes. Someone said in another post that it was 5.25 for the woofer. That would sound about right since the non hi-fi setup uses something like a 6.25.

Their prices are for real. If you are buying in US, you also avoid sales tax by purchasing online - but that's balanced by having to pay for shipping. Of course you would have to install yourself.

So what kind of system are you after? Just replacing cones or are you really upgrading?

dave
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

What about Boston Acoustics? I have always been really impressed with their sound and reasonable price, especially when compared to JBL, Kenwood and Polk. Not sure if it's too low-end for you.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you go with MB Quart than make sure you get the RFV series. MB Quart had a management buyout and the RFV series (older but you can still get it online) is still the one that has been made in Germany and not in China like the newer crapp.

http://www.12v-electronics.com/catal...ml?language=en
Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my speakers with stock OEM speakers. Not cutting no drilling. No hacking. Sound is just OK but I don't care. Cost was minimal. Ordered from suncoast.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

I'll second Mark on Boston Acoustics. Used to have and loved them.

dave
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 AM
henrymug
Advanced

thanks for the input, I am not picky with only $200 budget for everything, just want to have the best of the buck.

afterall, the air cooled engine from behind makes the best sound.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 AM
henrymug
Advanced

thanks for the link, again, by simple comparsion, the car audio shop is charging 2-3 times more than online prices...

Originally Posted by e9stibi
If you go with MB Quart than make sure you get the RFV series. MB Quart had a management buyout and the RFV series (older but you can still get it online) is still the one that has been made in Germany and not in China like the newer crapp.

http://www.12v-electronics.com/catal...ml?language=en
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

With a $200 budget, you might want to consider just getting some new cones and not replacing everything and also doing it yourself. If you have not done before, it's not too difficult if the speakers are the same size.

dave
Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock door speakers are 5.25" with a 1" dia. tweeter. Depending on manufacturer, some 6.25" speaker designs will fit into the stock speaker opening without having to cut the opening wider. I haven't replaced my front speakers yet but have been looking at a set of Morel separates.

This is a thread that I started for replacing the rear speakers when I replaced the ones in the rear deck.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=57498
Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Becker135
Intermediate

Sounds like you have the HiFi option, as do I. I just ordered Infinity 5.25" for the lower speakers, and Phoenix Gold 3" for the uppers, and won't do the small tweeters in the door panel until I see how these sound. The options that seemed to fit the speaker box in the door were limited, and the Infinitys might be a little big requiring some customization. I'll let you know. FYI, I did buy these at onlinecarstereo.com, spent right at $110.

Quick Reply: speakers replacement