993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally a plug-n-play LED solution for 964/993 gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bjornebo
They go pretty low (low enough for me at least).

One approach that you could consider if you are concerned about this would be to buy a couple of the 74-WWHP3 LEDs and install them in the fuel/oil level gauge and see if they go low enough for you. The only difficulty in this would be that you would also need to buy two of the holders and then buy more later if you like them. Or you could buy enough of the holders to do all of your instrument lights in case you like these LEDs (this is what I did - I figured that it was worth $10 to have them if I needed them).

Re the warning lights, you might buy the 2 and 6 lumen versions in amber and red and try them both in the fuel/oil level gauge and oil temp/press gauge to decide which you like better. This was the approach that I took - I bought one of each of the LEDs that I was considering and then followed up with a second order for the ones that I decided I wanted.
Thanks for the info on the dimming, I will order the UK bases accordingly (plus a couple of extras, because Murphy will break one if I don't).

I gather both the 8.4D and 8.5D bases will fit ok in this application? Earlier on, you asked about the difference between them but no one chimed in.

Good idea to order a sampler, that way I can also evaluate some other options eg xenon white and amber illumination, and different brightness warning lamps. Guess doing two orders didn't occur to me because:

A) Tore's LED kits have spoiled me and made me lazy (wish he would do one for the gauges but I'm not patient enough to wait), and

B) here in Canada we usually pay brutal shipping fees from the USA so it has become habit to only order once.*

Thanks again for the info: you really should consider doing a DIY writeup and posting here and on Pcarworkshop!

*Frequently shipping to Canada - if the vendor will even do that- costs as much as the goods themselves, whereas you lucky folks south of the 49th get free shipping as often as not. Count yer blessings.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Both bases will fit (I verified this when I tried my assortment of LEDs). The only difference is that the tabs on the 8.4D bases need to be bent a bit to make the holder fit tighter (they are too loose as received) while the tabs on the 8.5D bases need to be bent a bit to make them looser (as received they are too tight to allow installation)

Re the shipping, it is unfortunate that your costs are substantially higher. Probably not as quick either (I got each order from superbright LEDs three days after I placed the order). Oh well...

Good luck with this.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:20 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re warning lights, my manual C4S coupe has 22 (4 orange/amber, 4 green, 1 blue, and 13 red) this total includes the turn signal and high beam indicator lights. Note that the specific number of warning lights that you have depends on how your car is equipped.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Brian,

Both bases will fit (I verified this when I tried my assortment of LEDs). The only difference is that the tabs on the 8.4D bases need to be bent a bit to make the holder fit tighter (they are too loose as received) while the tabs on the 8.5D bases need to be bent a bit to make them looser (as received they are too tight to allow installation)

Re the shipping, it is unfortunate that your costs are substantially higher. Probably not as quick either (I got each order from superbright LEDs three days after I placed the order). Oh well...

Good luck with this.
Thanks again George, you da man. Will post back with results in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:50 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

has anyone tried green backlighting for the retro/ruf look?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:31 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What mine looks like with the connectors and amber LEDs in the gauges and white in the clock.

The gauges are apart for some cleaning and repair of the odo

Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Led lights

Finally got around to installing the super bright LEDs and bases (UK).
Took about 2 hours. Moved from left to right cleaning the earwax from the rubber mounting rings and instrument nacelles. Followed Tore B!s directions about removing tach ring then tach from right- worked like a charm w/o steering wheel removal. Definitely make sure all bulbs/contacts work before reinstalling-polarity never an issue but several of the holder side contacts had to be " adjusted" to encourage bulb to light. Used a light application of 303 on the rubber rings to ease reinsertion. Surprised to see that I had 2 incandescent bulbs out-- never noticed before. Personally see no great need to replace all warning lights as they are pretty bright as is and smaller, younger and more dexterous fingers would be highly recommended. Very pleased with results and looking forward to a midnight run.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

lots of great info here thanks - I see WARM white LED B8.4's were mentioned
but on superbrights website and EBay I dont seem to be able to find them - only COOL white - ... any chance anyone has?

thanks for the help!

Matt
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
xcoldricex
Racer

Originally Posted by HiWind
lots of great info here thanks - I see WARM white LED B8.4's were mentioned
but on superbrights website and EBay I dont seem to be able to find them - only COOL white - ... any chance anyone has?

thanks for the help!

Matt
they are here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/

you need to get the bases separately, there is unfortunately no complete one. you can get the bases here:

http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/509T-3xPLCC-2-LED.html

Assembly is straightforward, but you do have to bend the side tabs a bit to fit our application. I just bent one to fit and then bent all the others the same with some needle nose pliers. I didn't have any tabs break, but I'd order a handful extra just in case (they're cheap anyway).

it is worth the effort though!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:52 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you go back to Page 9 (post 126) on this thread there is more information. Make sure to order extra bulb holders as some will give you problems.

Don't forget to buy 2 more LEDs from the climate control unit!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quacktoduck
What mine looks like with the connectors and amber LEDs in the gauges and white in the clock.

The gauges are apart for some cleaning and repair of the odo
Can you update with a few more pictures of the amber LED lit gauges. I currently have the "warm white" installed and I'm wondering if I might prefer the amber setup. More pictures would help me decide.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

OK thanks Xcold & AZT ... I was going the wrong way looking for the one piece solution though if the UK holder is the right shape for those bulbs it wont be a hassle to fit them and bend the tabs etc..

Not sure the amber would look right - I quite like the 'newness' of the cold white but the warm white would soften and blend in better I figure ... amber might look too modded
Old 11-05-2015, 03:32 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

i'm very happy with the warm white - dimmed a little it's not too "new" looking.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to update my instrument lights but I have a question about what type of bulb is needed.

DobermanDad used B8.4D bulbs:

However, AZ Targa used B8.5D bulb holders:

It seems odd that both will fit but they evidently do. Is one closer in size/geometry to the OEM bulb holders? Or is either one OK to use?
Originally Posted by HiWind
OK thanks Xcold & AZT ... I was going the wrong way looking for the one piece solution though if the UK holder is the right shape for those bulbs it wont be a hassle to fit them and bend the tabs etc..

Not sure the amber would look right - I quite like the 'newness' of the cold white but the warm white would soften and blend in better I figure ... amber might look too modded
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
i'm very happy with the warm white - dimmed a little it's not too "new" looking.
That is exactly what I was going for too! Cool white was just too new for my tastes; to me I just looks out of place with "blue" light.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:16 PM
wilson.c
Track Day

Re warning lights, my manual C4S coupe has 22 (4 orange/amber, 4 green, 1 blue, and 13 red) this total includes the turn signal and high beam indicator lights. Note that the specific number of warning lights that you have depends on how your car is equipped. If you have a C4S or turbo you will have a red brake pressure warning light, otherwise no. And you will have a Tiptronic Emergency Program warning light and/or a convertible top warning light if you have a Tip and/or cabriolet (I don't have either).

As indicated in previous posts there are 11 instrument lights (3 for spedo, 2 for each of the other instruments). I went with the warm white lights recommended by AZ Targa and am very happy with them.

I don't know about the accessory lights.
Great info in this forum!! I've managed to do all the instrument lights with exception of the Tach. Being that it's a PITA to get out, will wait till my 993TT goes see my mechanic next time to remove the steering wheel. I have installed the 'soft whites' from superbrightleds.com and the plastic bases from crazyleds.co.uk. Backlighting of the instruments look much better than stock! However I was playing around with swapping the warning lights and found that when I change from stock to LED the AirBag warning in the clock glows dim when the ignition is on. This warning normally lights up when you turn the key and goes away a few seconds later. It may be due to the decreased resistance of the LED bulbs, when I replace the stock bulb back, it works normally.

Anyway I have three of the four warning lights in the clock on LEDs and the AirBag on stock. I'll try the other warning lights to see if they are as sensitive as the AirBag. If ok, I will order the remaining 'B8 LED Bulb - SMD Instrument Panel LED' in their respective colors. I will also try other bulbs to see if I can get around this problem.

Wilson
1997 993 Turbo

Quick Reply: Finally a plug-n-play LED solution for 964/993 gauges