Sponsored by:

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Geets
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade

I have the stock cassette player with cd changer and hi fi option in my 95 993. The sound is not terrible but I would like Ipod, bluetooth and Sirius so I'm thinking of upgrading my head unit. My question is can I simply install a new head unit in place of the old one or is there an amp somewhere in the car with the hi fi option I have? It sounds kind of loud to be coming out of the head unit so I'm assuming there is an amp somewhere??
Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search "radio upgrade"
Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Geets
Advanced

I've been trying to seach all different ways, is it just me or does everyone else that trys to search find that there are so many results that have nothing to do with what I searched for show up? Anyway to avoid this?

Back to the subject at hand, so I have confirmed that there is a amp under the passenger seat with the Hifi optioned stereo. My question now is how can I connect a new head unit to use this amp and existing speakers? The new headunit is going to have power coming out the speaker inputs so I'm guessing that I have to use the preamp outputs and somehow connect to the existing amp. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

You don't want to use the existing amp, it's a pretty crappy piece. As are the Nokia speakers in Hi-Fi package. If anything, you should be replacing speakers first, following by the amp and then the head unit.

The amp is connected to the head via a DIN (I believe) cable. So if you want to re-use it you'll need some sort of RCA to DIN adaptor. But, again, just spring for a replacement amp.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Geets
Advanced

Maybe my ears aren't so great at telling the difference but I feel it really isn't all that bad. I was hoping to just get another head unit in there to give me Ipod, bluetooth and Sirius capability and then I could always expand on it later. So for now I was hoping to see if someone had a solution to connect to the existing amp and speakers.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Try going with an iPod-ready Alpine model. Your iPod will sit in the glove and you will control it via the Alpine head unit. They can be had for about $200+. They are also bluetooth and XM-ready so your installer can hook you up with bluetooth+XM/Sirius units to go with it.
The Alpines look real clean also, with the only caveat being they produce a lot of glare in daylight and are hard to see.
I like mine.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
timabe
Instructor

I have a Pioneer Premiere headunit (Bluetooth, Sirius, CD, etc...) and, like the Alpines, glare is a problem. However, for about 200 bucks I'm not complaining.

Like the others said, the amp under the passenger seat is pretty much useless. Your new head unit will provide plenty of power to drive your new speakers (get rid of the paper Nokias). Remember, you are in a Porsche, not a Lexus sedan. IMO, high-end stereo equipment in a 993 can only be appreciated while sitting in the garage. As soon as you fire up your sweet sounding motor all audiophile pretense (and the money spent) gets blown out the window. Unless, of course, you see some sort of redeeming value in having a deep THUMP THUMP THUMP proceed you by a quarter mile. In which case there is little I can offer as advice.

Last edited by timabe; 01-06-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Personally, I love the sound of our engines as well as the next guy. I will even more-so after Darin gets his hands on it.
But I do enjoy some good loud grooves to go with the turns and I believe these magnificent machines deserve the best sound possible.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
travanx
Pro

Just install the new stereo and run new speaker wires from there into the doors onto new speakers. Not sure how the hi-hi sounds, but my car had expensive speakers in the doors when i bought it used. Its plenty good just upgrading the speakers and head unit. I decided to install 2 subs and amp, and now my car hits hard on the rock and rap I like. And nicely you can't hear the bass outside the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

All I did was run wires from where the stock amp was. Tapped into the speaker wires under the passanger seat up to the radio location and used the factory speakers. I put a single 8" sub in a small box behind the passenger seat and the amp for that sub. under the front bonet mounted in the spare tire. All tucked away. I have an Eclipse unit with Sirius and blue tooth. Sounds great...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to get rid of the factory amp, because it's heavy. I also have a stock cassette player/hi-fi sound option. I'm not an audiophile whatsoever. I just want a modern head unit and some good speakers in the front, and will probably ditch the rear speakers and amp.

The one thing I don't want to do, though, is hack up the car's wiring or do a crap install with multi-colored wires showing everywhere. How is everyone running speaker wires from the head unit out to the new door speakers?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
vicrossi
Advanced

I recently ugraded my audio system with an Alpine 9886 head unit with ipod, sirius, and USB, Diamond Audio 6.5" components for the doors, 2- 8" JL Audio subs in Rod Birch custom enclosures which I bought used from a rennlister, a 300 W. mono Orion amp pushing the subs and an Alpine amp pushing the components that was there from the PO. Both amps are mounted up front in the trunk. I couln't be happier with the sound, its clean and crisp. Of course I enjoy the music that comes out of the RSR's but clean tunes with the top down on a sunny So Cal day is hard to beat.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
travanx
Pro

Just run the wires from the back of the headunit through the door. The original installer had put the crossovers right above the foot area. Which means you still have full access to the side compartment things in the doors without having to drill holes.

Its pretty easy to hide the wire in the car. I still have my amp wiring showing going to the back seat since I still don't know if I like where I ran it through the center console or not. Since I think mounting the amp under the passenger seat is better than using the boot.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to the 993. Where is the factory amp located?

chris
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
V
Rennlist Member

I bought the Becker head unit (factory retrofit) from Departstop last year. Do a search on "Best buy of the year" or something like that. I havn't mounted it yet but you will get better sound with a decent set of new front speakers. A big plus IMHO is the factory look is retained.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade