Sponsored by:

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Geets
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uber 911
New to the 993. Where is the factory amp located?

chris
Chris, if you have the Hifi option in your car which is the three seperate speakers on your doors then the amp is located under the right side passenger seat for american models. I'm assuming it would be the same for euro models but i twould then be under the driver's seat on the right side.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Geets..
Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Get the CRD 220, or TP. Factory fit & finish, you can add a iPod. It also sounds a lot nicer. Takes about 20-40min to install.

The best way to tell if you have the Hi-Fi is the door pockets, if you have a single speaker with a storage box, it's the standard system, if it's got 2 speakers with a tweeter high up, & no pocket it's the Hi-Fi.

This is the Traffic Pro, old school Nav.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Geets
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how is that traffic pro?

Is the navigation decent? I wouldn't need it everyday just once in a blue moon if I got lost somewhere.

Will the traffic pro plug into my exisitng harness or do I have to make modifications?

Is it a non amped unit that uses my amp in hte Hifi package or does it have it's own power and I need to run speaker wires?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Geets
So how is that traffic pro?

Is the navigation decent? I wouldn't need it everyday just once in a blue moon if I got lost somewhere.

Will the traffic pro plug into my exisitng harness or do I have to make modifications?

Is it a non amped unit that uses my amp in hte Hifi package or does it have it's own power and I need to run speaker wires?
It's good, but the maps are from 2004, so new stuff will not be on there. So far it helped me quite a bit.

Well, yes & no. In my 97, all I had to do was unplug & replug, then route the nav antenna. Easy. In my 95 there was a little bit of wiring, the speed pulse needed to be tapped from the rear wing control, of course route the antenna. Still didn't take much more then 45min.

Don't know about it being amped or not, I just plugged it in, & it worked. Becker USA would know for sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

My 95 has the factory "Hi-Fi" and I put a Pioneer Premier deck in with the features you listed all available. The only one I use is the Ipod. I'm no audiophile myself and this setup works just fine for me though I'm sure it's not the best sound available. As a previous poster stated, the sound coming from the stereo is secondary in this car.

My 97 came with the basic CDR210 cassette with trunk mounted CD changer (no Hi-Fi). I switched to the CDR220 from Becker North America and got an iPod connector that will also charge from a place Stealth993 recommended (). Great results with a very "factory look" the only downside being that the CD changer no longer works. No loss. Again, I'm sure the audiophiles out there would laugh at the sound quality but it's just fine for my needs. Having said that, the speakers may soon get an upgrade just to see.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade