DIY - 993 Transmission Drop & LWF

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

OK Mr H, I must admit that I have 11,000sqft to play with at work, but it's still nice to have the space at home to tinker on those weekends that I'm not racing. Nowadays having a conventional double garage is just not enough, the RS takes up one half and the other is now filled (by the missus) with a plethora of christmas boxes, old bed frames and bicycles. I'm seriously thinking about taking the keys off her - why are trips to the tip always my responsibility??
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin,
I agree with double garage is not enough. I spent many hours tidying up my double garage with cycles supported on wall brackets and small items have been tidied into the eaves of the loft and managed to squeeze my other car in! Now I need a triple garage and a quarter of million pounds to buy my dream car As for the women encroaching on the garage space - anything we didn't want went to the skip station and guess what it was my job but I guess I have now monopolised my garage

Harry
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent write-up.
Only thing I would change is the shaft installation, I assemble both the bearings and seals and then install.
If the bearing is already in the trans there's a good chance of displacing the bearing needles, which you don't know about until the shaft won't go fully in.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No need to edit Neil, you got it correct, the springs go towards the flywheel, i.e. engine side and the flat face towards the cover / gearbox side.

I just wanted to mention that it is possible to put the plate in the wrong way round, a mistake which happens because this is how the disc is fitted on most other conventional clutch assemblies. Hence I thought I should pre-warn everyone to be dilligent so it won't happen to a fellow Rennlister. All the best.
also, most discs I have seen are labelled "flywheel side". That helps too.
Funny thing is, I usually spend time thinking about it instead of reading the words stamped in the steel
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Gbag
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This write up is absolutely fantastic, great docs, and to the point. Of course having the garage is a huge bonus.

My Dad spoiled the heck out of us, garage-wise, growing up in Maine. We had a garage like that and he even installed heat one fall so I could keep his pcar clean in the winter, one of my weekly "chores". I would spend hours in there organizing and working on my Scirocco.

Now that I live on my own with my 993 in California, I have a spacious carport and a clean flat surface, but that garage in the photo reminded me. Very nice.

I'm definitely doing this project when the time comes. Looks clear cut.

G
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GMS
Excellent write-up.
Only thing I would change is the shaft installation, I assemble both the bearings and seals and then install.
If the bearing is already in the trans there's a good chance of displacing the bearing needles, which you don't know about until the shaft won't go fully in.
Same here- but you only get one shot at it

Second Colin's advice as well. This disk is used in GT3's and some BMW's as well. For the BMW application, we have seen them labelled conventionally "flywheel side" when in fact this is wrong for P-cars and their 'pull' type clutches.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
baron95993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great write up Thanks for the hard work this is a project I think most of us will do at some time.

Baron
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

very nice info.
thanks

Craig
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic writeup. I didn't see the part numbers for the flannel shirts on your list though? Did you tell Andreas to do a pre-concurs detail on the tranny before you shipped it out, it sure looks that way!

Can I suggest this also be submitted to pcarworkshop.com ?

Again, great writeup.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Fantastic writeup. I didn't see the part numbers for the flannel shirts on your list though? Did you tell Andreas to do a pre-concurs detail on the tranny before you shipped it out, it sure looks that way!
Wiseacre!

Andreas
Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where can I find a pair of jack stands like those?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 PM
matt777
Drifting

Check out this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=18268
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm three bolts away from having my tranny out - two on the tranny mount and the upper starter bolt are all that's left. I'm doing this alone and it's taken me the better part of the day. I'm doing this in a one car garage, but I have all the space and tools I need. When I get the tranny out, I'll put it on a stand in my two car garage. I can't imagine how this could only take two hours. Everything has been so hard to reach - the slave cyl.nuts, the tranny-engine case bolts, just a nightmare. My whole drivetrain is coming out next time. This job sucks!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I'm three bolts away from having my tranny out - two on the tranny mount and the upper starter bolt are all that's left. I'm doing this alone and it's taken me the better part of the day. I'm doing this in a one car garage, but I have all the space and tools I need. When I get the tranny out, I'll put it on a stand in my two car garage. I can't imagine how this could only take two hours. Everything has been so hard to reach - the slave cyl.nuts, the tranny-engine case bolts, just a nightmare. My whole drivetrain is coming out next time. This job sucks!
I can only imagine the trouble taking out just the transmission by yourself in a small garage. I took everything out and it was a 8 hour job (hadn't done it before). Good luck, at least there are a bunch of good resources on this board.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG! Please take pictures of how you are doing this. I am in the same boat with my small garage!

Quick Reply: DIY - 993 Transmission Drop & LWF