Sponsored by:

Performance headers w/ heat exchangers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Performance headers w/ heat exchangers

Ok, I tried searching but couldn't find much.

I want to upgrade my exhaust by swapping in performance headers with equal lenght primers. I also want to retain my heating system so the headers obviously need to have a heat exchanger of sort. I know there are some out there for our cars (Schnell, B&B ???) Question is where to find a set and does anyone have any experience with these on the 993s?

Oh, and before you say I won't gain any performance; I already know that, I just love the sound of the 3.6 boxer with equal length primers.
Plus when I will do some work on the heads in the future, the headers won't be a bad idea either...
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Ok, I tried searching but couldn't find much.

I want to upgrade my exhaust by swapping in performance headers with equal lenght primers. I also want to retain my heating system so the headers obviously need to have a heat exchanger of sort. I know there are some out there for our cars (Schnell, B&B ???) Question is where to find a set and does anyone have any experience with these on the 993s?

Oh, and before you say I won't gain any performance; I already know that, I just love the sound of the 3.6 boxer with equal length primers.
Plus when I will do some work on the heads in the future, the headers won't be a bad idea either...
i've used stock w/ Fabspeed cat by pass and B&B 1/75" primary versions, very little if any performance difference, B&B will be a bit lighter, noise from stock/Fabspeed is far more liveable(and track legal where that's a PIA)

If you use some lumpier cams the headers will come into thier own, but w/ stock, not.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
i've used stock w/ Fabspeed cat by pass and B&B 1/75" primary versions, very little if any performance difference, B&B will be a bit lighter, noise from stock/Fabspeed is far more liveable(and track legal where that's a PIA)

If you use some lumpier cams the headers will come into thier own, but w/ stock, not.
I have DACH-X cat by-pass pipes and RSR mufflers and I like the sound but I just can't get over how good Petu's 993 sounds with the equal length headers.

Thanks to Chuck, pretty much everything that can be reasonably done on a 993 (that is still driven on the street occasionally) has already been done on my car, except for the engine, which is due soon. New heads with beefier cams etc. is in the plans so better flowing headers will eventually be needed. So why not upgrade those already?
My only problem is I want to retain the heating system, I cannot imagine not having it.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have DACH-X cat by-pass pipes and RSR mufflers and I like the sound but I just can't get over how good Petu's 993 sounds with the equal length headers.

Thanks to Chuck, pretty much everything that can be reasonably done on a 993 (that is still driven on the street occasionally) has already been done on my car, except for the engine, which is due soon. New heads with beefier cams etc. is in the plans so better flowing headers will eventually be needed. So why not upgrade those already?
My only problem is I want to retain the heating system, I cannot imagine not having it.
95% of the sound will be due to the mufflers. What mufflers is he using?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was in one of Geoffreys Moteced 964s w/ Fabspeed headers & muffler w/ heat, that 3.6 was putting out ~300hp. They are a much nicer design than B&B. And are available w/ heat.

It sounded great and would still be Lime Rock legal(that's the toughest noise track up here)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
95% of the sound will be due to the mufflers. What mufflers is he using?
None...lol!

I know it's the headers that make the difference. His engine does not sound like a VW beetle boxer (mine does), it's completely different. I've heard his car with stock headers and the equal length headers.
I guess having three evenly timed exhaust impulses instead of whatever cacophony the stock headers create is what makes the difference and changes the exhaust note.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

None...lol!

I know it's the headers that make the difference. His engine does not sound like a VW beetle boxer (mine does), it's completely different. I've heard his car with stock headers and the equal length headers.
I guess having three evenly timed exhaust impulses instead of whatever cacophony the stock headers create is what makes the difference and changes the exhaust note.
To be honest I never listed to mine w/ just the headers, w/o mufflers, cr, displacement, idle speed and cams will also have a big impact on sound.

the 3.8RS and 3.6 stock have very different exhaust qualities even w/ the same muffled exhaust.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:14 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

None...lol!

Is there a sound clip of this somewhere? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Here you go.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try, maxspeed-motorsports.com. He has headers with heaterbox's and they look to be close to equal length but you would have to call Nello and ask. I have purchased his mufflers and he and the mufflers were great. Also a friend of mine bought a complete header / exhaust system from him and we installed them and I must say the quality was excellent.

Please let me know what you find out from him as I am interested in doing headers now as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
+1 Also interested in seeing a comparison on the difference in exhaust note between the two. Please report back Juha
Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vhanzon
+1 Also interested in seeing a comparison on the difference in exhaust note between the two. Please report back Juha
Viggo,
Chris posted a link to one of Petu's videos, here: Finn's fast lap

And here's another one I uploaded in streetfire.com some time ago: Petu setting the pace

BTW, I found these for $900/set with heat exchangers (made by Dansk):

http://www.goingsuperfast.com/Porsche.html
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know FVD carries that Dasnk stuff as well - great deal on the sport cats.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Juha, those look very muck like the ones offered by Maxspeed motorsports.. There is probably very little performance difference (if any?) but you know that already. There are definately weight savings involved. I never thought the exhaust note could be that different, but Petu's car really sounds like an animal .

Juha I think it only takes two characters to fullfill all your needs right now . . ...... .... "9M"
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Just watched the two videos again. Inspiring to say the least . WOW that sound is addictive .

I think the headers in your link Juha are the same headers as these:

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/993headers.html

So you imply that because of the equal length headers, this somewhat "rawer" / more refined exhaust note is achieved? That the exhaust pulses sort of amplify eachother when the headers are of equal length.. Interesting.. As I said, the sound of Finn's car is intoxicating .. I want more!!! heheh

Quick Reply: Performance headers w/ heat exchangers