Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mounting Recaro's in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

I missed the end of this one, probably too late for the original poster but there is a factory TSB outlining the parts and steps needed to mount 996 GT3 LWB seats in a GT3
Serv # 7201 dated 13/08/1999

Mike J may have it at his site if not I can send it to him for use
or
PM me if you need it.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Squeaky seats

I just installed one Recaro SPG XL into my 964 using these instructions. Thank you for everyone's input. I am experiencing some noticeable squeaking while going through a turn. Is this normal? I think it may be coming from the 3mm thick washers I'm using to level out the seat for the seat belt bracket. They are not as wide as the ones Porsche sells (which is ridiculously priced by the way). Not positive though. I am using aluminum Recaro side mounts and Recaro sliders. Anyone else experience squeaking from their seats? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2023, 03:19 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Reviving this thread (as I think it's still the most useful resource on and definitive guide to the installation of aftermarket seats in the 993). Now that this is my 3rd time over the past 20 years doing it, i thought I'd share some lessions/tips that perhaps might be useful.

1. Maximizing leg room: many have complained about leg room when using the stock recaro side brackets. You can see in my photos from 2008 in post #23 in this thread, that you can reverse the direction of the side mounts, which moves the seat back at least 6" relative to the base. However, in doing this, the unmodified side brackets will likely overlap/interfere with the side holes in the seat for the seatbelts/harnesses. This can be easily modified (see photos with pencil mark where I cut). I did this back in 2008, but don't see it specifically mentioned anywhere on this thread. The last photo demonstrates the dramatic difference in leg room with the brackets reversed (driver seat) vs standard position (passenger seat) with both seats are in the rear-most position. {side note: the old SPG XL in the driver side is only in place until the project is completed... don't want to mess up the nice new leather on the new Pole Position ABE with Pepita inserts while i'm working on the car}

2. Seat belt receiver length: For those looking to replace old belts (some now close to 20 years old) or who want to change belt color, the belts from Seatbeltplanet.com are the exact same as those rebranded by Rennline and sold on Pelican. I confirmed with the supplier that they indeed manufacture the belts for Rennline. I just installed a set of red belts in my 993 without issue. Extra benefit to these belts (albeit not advertised) is that they offer three different lengths for their set belt receivers (stock 9", 10.63", and 13"). This is very helpful if you are installing aftermarket racing seats. Here is a comparison of the stock 9" receivers that come with the kit and the 10.63" receivers that I bought for my Pole Position ABE install. They do cost an additional $25/ea and they will only sell to you if you purchased their belts (and they are not listed on their website).

Last edited by ninjabones; 01-06-2023 at 03:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ninjabones:
dalves11 (01-07-2023), Kein_Ersatz (01-09-2023), milrad (01-18-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 02:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Reviving this thread (as I think it's still the most useful resource on and definitive guide to the installation of aftermarket seats in the 993). Now that this is my 3rd time over the past 20 years doing it, i thought I'd share some lessions/tips that perhaps might be useful.

1. Maximizing leg room: many have complained about leg room when using the stock recaro side brackets. You can see in my photos from 2008 in post #23 in this thread, that you can reverse the direction of the side mounts, which moves the seat back at least 6" relative to the base. However, in doing this, the unmodified side brackets will likely overlap/interfere with the side holes in the seat for the seatbelts/harnesses. This can be easily modified (see photos with pencil mark where I cut). I did this back in 2008, but don't see it specifically mentioned anywhere on this thread. The last photo demonstrates the dramatic difference in leg room with the brackets reversed (driver seat) vs standard position (passenger seat) with both seats are in the rear-most position. {side note: the old SPG XL in the driver side is only in place until the project is completed... don't want to mess up the nice new leather on the new Pole Position ABE with Pepita inserts while i'm working on the car}

2. Seat belt receiver length: For those looking to replace old belts (some now close to 20 years old) or who want to change belt color, the belts from Seatbeltplanet.com are the exact same as those rebranded by Rennline and sold on Pelican. I confirmed with the supplier that they indeed manufacture the belts for Rennline. I just installed a set of red belts in my 993 without issue. Extra benefit to these belts (albeit not advertised) is that they offer three different lengths for their set belt receivers (stock 9", 10.63", and 13"). This is very helpful if you are installing aftermarket racing seats. Here is a comparison of the stock 9" receivers that come with the kit and the 10.63" receivers that I bought for my Pole Position ABE install. They do cost an additional $25/ea and they will only sell to you if you purchased their belts (and they are not listed on their website).

Good to know and nice to see an old timer still w/ us
Old 01-07-2023, 04:58 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Good to know and nice to see an old timer still w/ us
Glad to be back, Bill. It’s been almost ten years since I sold “precious”. Glad to see some of the 993 hall-of-famers are still in the game. I’m in the finishing stages of an interesting 993 Hotrod build that I recently took over from an friend who got fatigued after 2 years and slow progress. I’ll make the big reveal when it’s done likely in the spring. Happy to be back in the 993 world.
The following users liked this post:
911F1 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 12:01 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

I’ll make the big reveal when it’s done likely in the spring.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:27 AM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad to be back, Bill. It’s been almost ten years since I sold “precious”. Glad to see some of the 993 hall-of-famers are still in the game. I’m in the finishing stages of an interesting 993 Hotrod build that I recently took over from an friend who got fatigued after 2 years and slow progress. I’ll make the big reveal when it’s done likely in the spring. Happy to be back in the 993 world.
We will be waiting to see!!

Quick Reply: Mounting Recaro's in a 993