Mounting Recaro's in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by icelatte
I have recaro sliders on the drivers side and sparco on the passengers. I had to drill both to fit the BK mounts. The recaro sliders are longer and provide more contact area with the sidemounts. You can also feel that the sparco side isn't as sturdy and gives a bit more play. At some point, I'll probably go back and replace it with a Recaro slider.
That was the conclusion I came to as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Looking good Bill!

I just finished installing a pair of Recaro PP's. I used the Recaro Universal sliders and BK R-9062 Mounts. Both seats were installed in less than and hour (and I'm mechanically inept) I was expecting a nightmare but it was a piece of cake. No drilling and FVD supplied more than enough hardware to bolt everything up. Holding off on the harness mounts until I have enough $ for a Hans but the Rennline products look like the way to go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/daltvate...29766521697810
Daltvater:

Nice work with the carpet install... you should initiate a new thread with those photos. Will be very helpful to guys trying to figure out how to fit those RS carpet kits together. BTW, where did you source the heat shield material?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

resurrecting this thread because of mounting issues

Don't know if they sold me the wrong side mounts or not
Recaro flat sliders
BK 9066 sidemounts, the flange at the rear of the sidemounts seems to interfere w/ the grp seat bottom at the back, also the rear bolts seem to interfere but button heads may solve that(to be determined)

anyone else have similar issues w/ their side mounts??
Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
resurrecting this thread because of mounting issues

Don't know if they sold me the wrong side mounts or not
Recaro flat sliders
BK 9066 sidemounts, the flange at the rear of the sidemounts seems to interfere w/ the grp seat bottom at the back, also the rear bolts seem to interfere but button heads may solve that(to be determined)

anyone else have similar issues w/ their side mounts??

I had the same experience. I returned the BK side mounts and swapped with Recaros and all went in without a hitch.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
I had the same experience. I returned the BK side mounts and swapped with Recaros and all went in without a hitch.
Al, which Recaro side mounts did you use?

I also have a set of steel Recaro sidemounts, but there are 2 holes in the rear position, the upper hole is ~ .5" too high(plenty of seat clearance, the lower hole is running into the seat bottom, more because of the really wide flanges at the rear. I do want the seats as low as possible

You can see the Recaros here, obviously one hole is stock the drilled by the p/o, not sure which is which, also the very wide flanges at the rear don't help w/ the seat height issue.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Those are what I have. I see your problem now with the rear hole positions. Not a problem for me since I don't need the seat really low at 5'8
Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 AM
hutch
Instructor

Wrong BK brackets, as I stated before 9062 and you have to notch the rear a bit not bad 5mm I seem to remember.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
....I also have a set of steel Recaro sidemounts, but there are 2 holes in the rear position, the upper hole is ~ .5" too high(plenty of seat clearance, the lower hole is running into the seat bottom, more because of the really wide flanges at the rear. I do want the seats as low as possible....
Bill - Since you car is primarily a track car, have you considered just using the BK mount to mount the seats directly to the floor? I'm considering doing this to my driver's side seats since no one drives my cars except me.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hutch
Wrong BK brackets, as I stated before 9062 and you have to notch the rear a bit not bad 5mm I seem to remember.
I know, 9066 is what the shop I'm dealing w/ recommended. I have asked BK to clarify the difference between 9062 and 9066.

I may be able to get some more clearance by grinding the flanges and using button head bolts.

What size and type bolt did you use to attach the sides to sliders?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Bill - Since you car is primarily a track car, have you considered just using the BK mount to mount the seats directly to the floor? I'm considering doing this to my driver's side seats since no one drives my cars except me.
When all else fails.....
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM
hutch
Instructor

David, my car has never been on the track. It's just a play toy, I had the roof changed out and installed a RS headliner so I now have plenty of room. You could fasten the mounts directly to the floor and then install the seats.
Bill, I ordered all the seat brackets and picked the one that worked the best and returned the rest. I couldn't find anybody the really new what the heck was best??? I guess you should just put in what they have in stock and shut up? Whit the brackets I used you have to remove some material on the rear inside to clear the bottom of the seat, then use a button head to mount the bracket to the sliders. I also used one of the washers from Porsche that spaces the brackets up when you use the RS seat belt bracket, under each side bracket bolt to get the width correct. This way I could push the seat toward the center after I lengthened the inside seat belt receptacle. Call me if you need any explantion, I have pic's but I'm to lazy to post as I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Porsche parts have nothing on Kitchen parts as far as money.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

.... Bill, I ordered all the seat brackets and picked the one that worked the best and returned the rest. I couldn't find anybody the really new what the heck was best??? I guess you should just put in what they have in stock and shut up?
agreed, getting tired of this?

Whit the brackets I used you have to remove some material on the rear inside to clear the bottom of the seat, then use a button head to mount the bracket to the sliders.
Now you tell me these are key issues

...... Call me if you need any explantion, I have pic's but I'm to lazy to post as I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Porsche parts have nothing on Kitchen parts as far as money.
I hear you, I did a bath last year, ouch, kitchen's got to be much worse

I think that i'm near a solution.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Daltvater:

Nice work with the carpet install... you should initiate a new thread with those photos. Will be very helpful to guys trying to figure out how to fit those RS carpet kits together. BTW, where did you source the heat shield material?
+1. this is on my list of "to do's" so DIY install instructions w/pics would be awesome!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rather than start a new thread here I'm documenting the install of the SPG XL seats here

This is what the milled sidebrakets need to look like to mount the seats in a 964/993

The 996 GT3 submount bar works perfectly
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Bill, What type of bolt (M8x20?) did you use to attach the side of seat to the side of the BK seat bracket?

Quick Reply: Mounting Recaro's in a 993