Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Recaro's in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009 | 09:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Way back in Dec. when I started this project a friend loaned me a set of Recaro and a set of Sparco sliders. When placed side by side it's obvious which is better. factory 928/944/964/993 manual sliders work as well as the Recaros but I couldn't find 2 sets of them.

Bill - I did exactly the same thing as you for the sub mounts
You mean use the GT3 subs? I drilled through the floor eyes on the passenger side because the electrics plate under the seat was easy to deal w/.. I couldn't get the drivers side e/ plate out so in desperation retried the Recaro sides w/ holes drilled to get the seat back as far as possible w/o too much rocker. Miracle of miracles it worked.

BTW, I feel like I'm the only person who had a good experience using BK mounts with my pole positions.
Not at all, again when i started this I got recs. from several very knowledgeable/responsible people, they all used BK very successfully to mount PP, SPG XL is a very different seat. PP are perfect for my genotype but the harness holes are incompatible w/ my rollbar position as it relates to shoulder height.
Old 05-05-2009 | 09:55 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

While working on the passenger side today I thought I'd post some final points, I'm sure you'll all be glad to put this one to rest

Because the drivers side electric panel under the drivers seat was such a bear to deal w/ I used the GT3 sub bar on that side. The passenger side was easy to deal w/ so I have through the floor pad eyes there(I'll post pics later)

Don't know if you can see it or not but I ran out of the 3mm RS spacing washers on the last rail. So I used some 3mm stock that I had, it lays the full length of the door side between the sidemount and rail top, I like this better than just the washers at the corners but it probably doesn't make any difference. PS tunnel uses 3 x3mm washers and the RS seat belt mount, PS door uses 3 x3mm washers and the 3mm strip of steel stock. On the drivers side the GT3 sub is also 3mm and so supports part of the front w/ 3/mm washers else where

all side to rail bolts are M81.25x20 8.8 button heads, All rail to chassis are M8x1.25x25 8.8 allens, You need to be careful of the washers on the bottom. I found that the first batch of 1/4" US washers interfered w/ the slides, so I got some slightly smaller 1/4" hardened washers that did the trick.
Old 05-05-2009 | 11:22 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

You mean use the GT3 subs?

Actually it was BK sub mount bar that I was able to mount to the slider/side mount assembly similar to what you did. I got three bolts on the rear and two on the front of the rails so it is pretty solid...(understatement...). I have no qualms about the fact that the sub belts are not mounted to the car directly. You are right, moving the ECU and stuff would be a major PITA.

I guess I am one of the few that liked the BK hardware! It is solid stuff!
Old 05-05-2009 | 11:28 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Hmmm, I've never noticed any play in my Sparco sliders. If it's there, I'm too busy driving to feel it.
If somebody had of handed me a set of Sparcos only...no issue. I was just in a situation where I had them side by side.

BTW Mark, I look at your spoiler and I am so Jones'ing to get my car back from the body shop...RSR 3.8 Tailbase (not insert!!!) and Euro RS splitters

...gonna rock with the BBS RS-GT's!!!

(sorry I had'a do it!!)
Old 05-06-2009 | 12:00 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveM993
If somebody had of handed me a set of Sparcos only...no issue. I was just in a situation where I had them side by side.

BTW Mark, I look at your spoiler and I am so Jones'ing to get my car back from the body shop...RSR 3.8 Tailbase (not insert!!!) and Euro RS splitters

...gonna rock with the BBS RS-GT's!!!

(sorry I had'a do it!!)
Are you keeping the aerofoil element in it? Are you planning on racing the car in PCA? We need more 993's in club racing!

Yes, I do remember those RS-GT's, ya bastid.
Old 05-06-2009 | 11:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

As promised this should be the end or at least near the end, there are some harness issues to sort out.

passenger side floor

done, except for a few little details

Old 05-06-2009 | 12:20 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

I have a dumb question for you Bill (and others who've done seat installs). What order do you assemble/install the parts (sliders/sidemounts/seats) in?
Old 05-06-2009 | 12:39 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Installation: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=451099
Old 05-06-2009 | 01:11 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc V.
OK, that was the only way I could think to make it work, so that's what I did! I was just curious if there was some other easier method that my pea-brain hadn't considered.
Old 05-06-2009 | 01:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
I have a dumb question for you Bill (and others who've done seat installs). What order do you assemble/install the parts (sliders/sidemounts/seats) in?
  1. trial assemble each side/slider separately
  2. trial fit to chassis mounts, you will need a min of 4x 8mm holes 16" transversely and 132mm longitudinally more if you want multiple bolts
  3. assemble/disassemble multiple times until everything fits and lines up nicely, I wanted more than the bare min of 1 bolt at each corner so this multiplies the a/d cycles.
  4. assemble the entire base and trial fit to chassis, adjust as necessary install all bolts for fitment issues, it only gets harder if you don't do it now.
  5. bolt base assembly to seat, don't use allen on the tunnel side because you will want to install it loosely at first, I used 8mm hex heads for 3 positions and an 8mm allen for appearance on the forward door side
  6. bolt it all down loosely, gradually tighten all bolts slide for/aft to ensure free movement
  7. torque all bolts
  8. I installed the subs prior to the seats, so only had to install the rest of the harness assembly
  9. adjust harnesses to suit
  10. enjoy

Anyone have a good trick for tying up the tails on the shoulder harness, I made some velcro ties on my old install but was never real happy w/ that.
Old 05-06-2009 | 03:56 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Are you keeping the aerofoil element in it? Are you planning on racing the car in PCA? We need more 993's in club racing!

Yes, I do remember those RS-GT's, ya bastid.

someday...someday...not now still just DE'er

Yes I am keeping the airfoil in...I thought about your interesting mod to the spoiler but decided I don't need a boatload of down force (yet!) and am only installing RS splitters on the front. An airfoil is the most efficient way to get downforce and minimize drag....although given the overall drag of an RSR 3.8 I am not sure there would be much of a diff. one way or the other.

I'll post pics when I get it back
Old 12-21-2016 | 11:36 PM
sm
Drifting

Bill - I'd like to mount factory euro 996 GT3 seats to my 968 (same chassis mounting holes as a 944). The factory seat rails for these seats have downward facing tabs and a pin at the rear. I can hammer the tab flat and cut off the pin, but then these rails will no longer fit 996 cars should I want to sell them. So, can factory euro 996 gt3 seat brackets mount to flat, no tab Recaro sliders (recaro Sliders 0.70.9NT)?

Thought I'd ask you since you have been through so much with these rails and seats. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2016 | 11:59 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Yes, and a side bonus is that the Recaro/Sparco/... sliders are not as tall as the factory euro gt3 sliders so you get more headroom.

You may/will need to drill to get the side plate or slider to get the holes to line up, but that is pretty straight forward.

Pete
Old 12-28-2016 | 01:45 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Wow, 7 year old thread call-back. Impressive!

And if anyone figures out what seat belt receptacles work with Pole Positions, please let us know! I've spent way too much trying to solve this riddle....
Old 12-29-2016 | 12:07 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Good info is always best served bumped than newly opened

Quick Reply: Mounting Recaro's in a 993