Mounting Recaro's in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by b5audia4
Bill, What type of bolt (M8x20?) did you use to attach the side of seat to the side of the BK seat bracket?
M8x25, 1.25 thread
Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well it's been awhile, all that work and I didn't like the way the seats sat in the car, soooo
lets try Recaro side mounts, these sit ~2mm higher in back than the BK9066 so there is less of an interference w/ the bottom of the seat bubble. I spent a while w/ a grider trimming off excess metal but all in all much easier to deal w/ than the BKs

here's the result

Maybe try to fit them in the car tomorrow

The other part of this is the pad eyes for the tunnel side harnessess
Of course the factory 964RS instructions cause the eyes to have to go where a 993 has a transmission brace, but there is a nice flat spot for the plate just behind it. Here the trans brace is out and a trial hole drilled.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Put a seat w/ the recaro sidemounts in the car today, they work great. So for my install of SPG XL in a 993, Recaro sidemounts and GT3 sub-bar work great, it all went together fairly painlessly, unlike the SOB BKs
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
ard
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 106 Posts

Bill, pardon my ignorance, but earlier in this thread you said something that I interpreted as meaning you wanted 2 bolts EACH for the front and rear on EACH side to attach the seat to the brackets. From your latest pictures it looks like the brackets and seat are connected by 1 bolt each for the front and rear on each side.

Did I mis-understand something? Just curious, really.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ard
Bill, pardon my ignorance, but earlier in this thread you said something that I interpreted as meaning you wanted 2 bolts EACH for the front and rear on EACH side to attach the seat to the brackets. From your latest pictures it looks like the brackets and seat are connected by 1 bolt each for the front and rear on each side.

Did I mis-understand something? Just curious, really.
Yes, that's just a trial assembly. I still need to drill several more holes for all the bolts, 2x front, 2x rear, 2x for each side of the sub-bar 2x for the tunnel stock belt receptical mount. Lots of holes. The nice thing about the Recaro sides mounts is that there is an existing hole on each side for the sub-bar, it makes assembly and drilling the other holes sooo much easier than starting from scratch. I should never have listened to the guys that used the BKs, oh well, different seats, different things will work. I'm hoping that the Aluminum Recaro side mounts are specced the same as the steel, Time to make some more phone calls.

Just as a data point the lower rear Recaro side holes are 2mm higher than the BKs. That silly little difference makes all the difference in the world in using the SPG XLs in a 993.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never use the BKs UNLESS you are installing 996 Euro GT3s in a 993 (or older). The brackets are about 17 lbs each, harder metal than most drill bits, and never fit right. I use the aluminum Recaro brackets, and Recaro sliders (NEVER USE THE SPARCO SLIDERS. EVEN IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SPARCO SEATS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.) These fit like a glove, even with the wider Recaros seats. Piece of cake.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Never use the BKs UNLESS you are installing 996 Euro GT3s in a 993 (or older). The brackets are about 17 lbs each, harder metal than most drill bits, and never fit right.
I agree in all respects

...NEVER USE THE SPARCO SLIDERS. EVEN IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SPARCO SEATS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.) These fit like a glove, even with the wider Recaros seats. Piece of cake.
Agree there too, way back at the beginning of all this I was given a set of Recaro and a set of Sparco sliders, when you have them side by side it's obvious which one you want to use.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Put a seat w/ the recaro sidemounts in the car today, they work great. So for my install of SPG XL in a 993, Recaro sidemounts and GT3 sub-bar work great, it all went together fairly painlessly, unlike the SOB BKs

I warned you about the BKs. Plus the Recaros look nicer.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Never use the BKs UNLESS you are installing 996 Euro GT3s in a 993 (or older). The brackets are about 17 lbs each, harder metal than most drill bits, and never fit right. I use the aluminum Recaro brackets, and Recaro sliders (NEVER USE THE SPARCO SLIDERS. EVEN IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SPARCO SEATS. YOU WILL REGRET IT.) These fit like a glove, even with the wider Recaros seats. Piece of cake.
Hi Bob, thanks for your post. I have purchased Euro GT3 seats and am planning to install later this summer. I have been following the various installation threads with interest and am frankly intimidated by the complexity of getting the right parts up front. May I contact you for specific advice when I get closer to my install?

Thanks~!

Matt
Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Sure Matt. No problem. I can even get you the items if you want when you need them. The install is actually pretty easy (yes it really can be) with the right parts and a couple of simple tips....
Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Sure Matt. No problem. I can even get you the items if you want when you need them. The install is actually pretty easy (yes it really can be) with the right parts and a couple of simple tips....
Bob, you have a PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Bob, thank you very much for the offer. I will definitely be in touch for the kit and advice when I am ready later this summer.

I have a fitment issue that I am already working on... my fat ***. If I don't take care of that, I am not even going to fit in my seats!

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some progress, I gave up on the BKs too much rocker that can't be eliminated. So back to the Recaro side mounts, they fit perfectly except the seat is too far forward for my long legs. However mount them backward and it's a good fit.

The rear seat belt receptacle through the side hole seems to be workable too, we'll see It's certainly seems to be good enough on the GT2s.

Purchased some Aluminum Recaro side mounts which have the same config as the steel.

Biggest issue is the GT3 sub bar needs new holes drilled further back, its a shame because when mounted in the Recaro design orientation all the holes are perfectly placed for mounting the side mounts and sub bar. May have to drill through the floor as the best solution.

Ninjabones pointed me in this direction way back when, should have listened, but I'm too stubborn and I had too much faith in the manufacturers designs. Both Recaro and BK make **** poor products for our cars.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

Ninjabones pointed me in this direction way back when, should have listened, but I'm too stubborn and I had too much faith in the manufacturers designs. Both Recaro and BK make **** poor products for our cars.

Looks good Bill. I might drill a hole on the tunnel side mount a bit higher for the seat belt receiver. That way, the thick portion of the receiver is above the passenger's thigh and is accessible when seated. I'd also put some plastic trim around the portion of the side mount that sticks up into the side lap harness holes. The soft plastic trim will protect your harnesses from wearing/fraying.

This stuff from Pegasus should work http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=4346.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not done yet, if I decide to pursue this(still undecided) the sides need to be clearance to give unobstructed access to the side holes and the release bar needs to be shortened, it sticks out too far this way.

All in all i'm totally disgusted w/ this.

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 04-02-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Mounting Recaro's in a 993