Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Bill,
Please keep updating. When I installed my SRD's and harnesses I made a million adjustments and custom parts and am still not happy. I did not use the Rennline items though. I would like ot be able to easily clip and unclip the harnesses. That means you need factory belts which left with the stock seats. So, I bought another set of rear receivers and mouted them on the tunnel too.
it remains to be seen how this all plays out. As you know it's extremely tigh on the tunnel side, especially so w/ the wider seats like Profi XL.

The fall back is to use the existing tunnel side mounts w/ backing plates that I have been using for the last 4 yrs.

It's also unbelievable(or I'm doing something wrong) that so much drilling is needed to fit the Recaro & BK parts that are sold for this install, a couple of the holes look like I'll need an end mill to accomplish.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill,

Just ditch the stock seat belts, saves weight you know...

OK, it's a "bit" of a pain in the *** to get harnessed up every time you drive but like I said, weight savings, weight savings...
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Bill,

Just ditch the stock seat belts, saves weight you know...

OK, it's a "bit" of a pain in the *** to get harnessed up every time you drive but like I said, weight savings, weight savings...
That's what I've been doing for the last 4 yrs, but I get nervous at inspection time and when the gendarms are doing seatbelt inspections(fairly regularly around here, it's a supplemental source of revenue in a broke state)

The last(probably very minor) concern is the effect of sunlight on belts, if the racing harness can be removed except for when it's needed that is a plus

Anyway it's and adventure and learning experience
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
it remains to be seen how this all plays out. As you know it's extremely tigh on the tunnel side, especially so w/ the wider seats like Profi XL.

The fall back is to use the existing tunnel side mounts w/ backing plates that I have been using for the last 4 yrs.

It's also unbelievable(or I'm doing something wrong) that so much drilling is needed to fit the Recaro & BK parts that are sold for this install, a couple of the holes look like I'll need an end mill to accomplish.
Bill,

When I purchased the Pole Positions Stable Engery talked me out of Recaro side mounts and sold me BK's. The first day of install I quickly realized the BK side mounts do not match up correctly to the Recaro PP's and sliders, so I swapped them out for Recaro side mounts and the install was straight forward and the Recaro side mounts look better too!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
Bill,

When I purchased the Pole Positions Stable Engery talked me out of Recaro side mounts and sold me BK's. The first day of install I quickly realized the BK side mounts do not match up correctly to the Recaro PP's and sliders, so I swapped them out for Recaro side mounts and the install was straight forward and the Recaro side mounts look better too!

I also have a set of Recaro sidemounts, they would also need to be drilled.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:33 PM
hutch
Instructor

Bill, remove the covers from you inner seat belt receptacles and lengthen them so they are above the console. This will solve your problem. I used a large diameter heat shrink to cover the welds.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hutch
Bill, remove the covers from you inner seat belt receptacles and lengthen them so they are above the console. This will solve your problem. I used a large diameter heat shrink to cover the welds.
????

Mockup of tunnel side
Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not sure why you chose not to use the recaro sidemounts and sliders.... the install was very easy (no drilling... every thing went together very smoothly). However, working with what you have displayed, I'd probably move the seat belt receiver bolt up an inch or two (see my last photo). You're going to have a hard time accessing the harness anchor at that position. Also, if you move it up a bit, you can slip the seat belt receiver through the lap belt hole in the seat (1st and 3rd pic) There is a point where the receiver will fit snug against the seat and then the wider portion will be above the side thigh support (hard to describe, but you can get the point from the attached photos). With the seat belt receiver on the outside of the SPG XL seats, the shoulder strap of the seatbelt will come across your throat (see pic #2 for my first iteration which turned out to be unacceptable)... with a narrower seat (e.g. pole position), this is not a problem.
Attached Images     
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

some more pics
Attached Images    
Old 12-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I'm not sure why you chose not to use the recaro sidemounts and sliders.... the install was very easy (no drilling... every thing went together very smoothly). However, working with what you have displayed, I'd probably move the seat belt receiver bolt up an inch or two (see my last photo). You're going to have a hard time accessing the harness anchor at that position. Also, if you move it up a bit, you can slip the seat belt receiver through the lap belt hole in the seat (1st and 3rd pic) There is a point where the receiver will fit snug against the seat and then the wider portion will be above the side thigh support (hard to describe, but you can get the point from the attached photos). With the seat belt receiver on the outside of the SPG XL seats, the shoulder strap of the seatbelt will come across your throat (see pic #2 for my first iteration which turned out to be unacceptable)... with a narrower seat (e.g. pole position), this is not a problem.
I agree that the Recaro sidemounts would work as well, part of the issue is that I will use double M8 bolts fore and aft, most installs use single fore and aft. I also want all the belt loads to go through the heavily reinforced RS seat belt mount which is double bolted, I'll probably also mount a Schroth eye bolt on the tunnel, I'll use whichever is most convienient. Other that that i'm emulating the factory RS install w/ the receiver outside the seat
Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking good Bill!

I just finished installing a pair of Recaro PP's. I used the Recaro Universal sliders and BK R-9062 Mounts. Both seats were installed in less than and hour (and I'm mechanically inept) I was expecting a nightmare but it was a piece of cake. No drilling and FVD supplied more than enough hardware to bolt everything up. Holding off on the harness mounts until I have enough $ for a Hans but the Rennline products look like the way to go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/daltvate...29766521697810
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
I used the Recaro Universal sliders and BK R-9062 Mounts.
I have the same BK mounts, but Sparco sliders, with the crossbar/handle piece that is the right width for Porsche applications. I had read that the Sparco sliders and R-9062 side mounts are the right parts for the PP's. Is there a difference between Recaro and Sparco sliders?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:02 PM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah
I have the same BK mounts, but Sparco sliders, with the crossbar/handle piece that is the right width for Porsche applications. I had read that the Sparco sliders and R-9062 side mounts are the right parts for the PP's. Is there a difference between Recaro and Sparco sliders?
I have recaro sliders on the drivers side and sparco on the passengers. I had to drill both to fit the BK mounts. The recaro sliders are longer and provide more contact area with the sidemounts. You can also feel that the sparco side isn't as sturdy and gives a bit more play. At some point, I'll probably go back and replace it with a Recaro slider.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daltvater
Looking good Bill!

I just finished installing a pair of Recaro PP's. I used the Recaro Universal sliders and BK R-9062 Mounts. Both seats were installed in less than and hour (and I'm mechanically inept) I was expecting a nightmare but it was a piece of cake. No drilling and FVD supplied more than enough hardware to bolt everything up. Holding off on the harness mounts until I have enough $ for a Hans but the Rennline products look like the way to go.

http://picasaweb.google.com/daltvate...29766521697810
Looks good!, my issue is the desire to double bolt, If I was going to single bolt it would be done except for the harness mounts.

Where did you get the carpeting for the rear area? That's another planned project.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
yes, I had both available for the initial trial fits, the Recaros are a tad lower and somewhat more robustly built that the Sparco, I do like the geometry of the Sparco handle but think that the Recaro flat slider(re 0.70.9NT) is the way to go. You can also use 944 or 928 manual sliders(factory used 928 on all the 964/993RS) but they are prohibitively expensive new and not readily available used.

Quick Reply: Mounting Recaro's in a 993