993 Forum 1995-1998

LPMMs, Dach X-pipes, RSRs, FisterD's...and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Default LPMMs, Dach X-pipes, RSRs, FisterD's...and questions

Of course there's a million threads on the subject of mufflers, but for the novice like me, here are questions I couldn't find using a search.

I live in California and my C4S is my daily driver. I was wondering if any one could list the pros and cons of each of the most popular muffler mods. I read lots about different set ups, i.e. "RSRs", "stage II", "stage III" etc., but I don't know what any of this really means.

For me, I'd like a teensy more noise, burble and pop from my muffler, but not at the expense of driveabililty. I really don't wanna have a bass-y drone at highway speed that makes the car a pain to drive on long commutes, or something so loud and obnoxious that it drowns out the sound of my flat-6. I just want a slightly more aggressive sound when I put my foot into it, but other wise sounds mostly stock when I'm not. I also need to be able to pass California smog tests. Any suggestions?

Also, out of all the popular mods, which are the quietest? Which are the loudest? Which mods will make it harder to pass smog? Which are the lightest weight? Do any set-ups provide any horsepower gains?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and suggestions.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:50 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

I am a 53 year old guy who had the same concerns as you. I put FisterD's basic mod on my 993 C4, and it was perfect!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/431947-now-she-sounds-right-lpmm-mod.html

http://fistermetalworks.com/Porsche_Stuff.php

None of the mods should change emissions or performance.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The RSRs, stage 1, 2, & 3's, and LPMM are all just that,.....modifications to the factory muffler. The intent and end result is more sound. None of these will give you any HP gains at all, it's all about the sound. Since you are dealing with "cat back" items you should have no problem with CA smog.

From what I know, none of the above will give you any resonance or droning in the cabin. I have RSRs on my car (bought them from a rennlister that went up to stage 2s), and like you, was apprehensive at first about it being too loud or annoying over the long haul. The RSRs are just sligtly louder than stock, they have a slight burble at idle while standing behind the car and there is slightly more sound while cruising. I have no resonance or buzzing in the car (top up or down). I actually would like a little more sound than the RSRs provide so I am contemplating Stage 2s from Darin or having a local muffler shop do the LPMM to my stock units.

I think your best bet is to ride in a car that has had the various procedures done, and then decide what you want on your car. The Youtube videos are O.K., but you really don't get the true sound that way.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
The RSRs, stage 1, 2, & 3's, and LPMM are all just that,.....modifications to the factory muffler. The intent and end result is more sound. None of these will give you any HP gains at all, it's all about the sound. Since you are dealing with "cat back" items you should have no problem with CA smog.

From what I know, none of the above will give you any resonance or droning in the cabin. I have RSRs on my car (bought them from a rennlister that went up to stage 2s), and like you, was apprehensive at first about it being too loud or annoying over the long haul. The RSRs are just sligtly louder than stock, they have a slight burble at idle while standing behind the car and there is slightly more sound while cruising. I have no resonance or buzzing in the car (top up or down). I actually would like a little more sound than the RSRs provide so I am contemplating Stage 2s from Darin or having a local muffler shop do the LPMM to my stock units.

I think your best bet is to ride in a car that has had the various procedures done, and then decide what you want on your car. The Youtube videos are O.K., but you really don't get the true sound that way.
OK thanks for that info. So, are RSR's less aggressive sounding and/or quieter than LPMMs? Are Stage 2s louder than Stage 1s? I guess that would make Stage 3s even louder then?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

As I recall, RSR and LPMM are both acronyms for the guys offering similar mods in the past. The current supplier (who I have no affiliation with other than being a satisfied customer) is FisterD.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by centerpunch
I am a 53 year old guy who had the same concerns as you. I put FisterD's basic mod on my 993 C4, and it was perfect!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431947

http://fistermetalworks.com/Porsche_Stuff.php

None of the mods should change emissions or performance.
+1. I have Fister's "stage 1" on my 993 cab. I was initially concerned it would be too loud, but it is great. In fact, I'm wishing I'd gone w/ at least Stage II at this point as I get used to the sound.

I also don't think any of these would impact emissions unless you also mess w/ your cat.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Stages I-III are refering to the Fister Sport Exhaust Modifications. As the stages increase, so does the volume and aggressiveness of the tone. They also get lighter.
Stage I.........mildest of the 3, nice idle rumble, nice on acceleration. Not overly loud, but one of best tones you can get for a 993. In the cabin it's hard to tell any difference, but outside you can.
Stage II.......More aggressive tone, a little louder than Stage I. Also has internal modifications. More aggressive on heavy acceleration, yet mild while cruising. The best-of-both worlds.
Stage III.......Most aggressive and loudest. Complete redesign of the inside. Lightest of all 3. This mod was inspired by the GT Cup Cars at Laguna Seca. Great volume.....amazing pops and burbles! Must be heard in person. This is what I am running on my car, and I am constantly smiling, every time I fire it up....

I will say, many people end up upgrading from Stage I after they have had them on for a while. You kind of get used to the sound, and end up wanting more.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, so where do motorsound mufflers fit into the picture? Quieter than all of these mods?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam5oh
Ok, so where do motorsound mufflers fit into the picture? Quieter than all of these mods?
Yes. Motorsound mufflers are barely louder then stock. It would be hard to tell the difference in a blind test (but then I'm a drummer, so my ears probably aren't that great!)
Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

hi darin,

i have read about your stage three's, and everyone that has them sounds very pleased. is it an exchange that you do, or do i send you my mufflers and then you modify those? also, what are the cost? i now have the motorsound package but think i would like a bit more sound.

lucas
Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by air993
hi darin,

i have read about your stage three's, and everyone that has them sounds very pleased. is it an exchange that you do, or do i send you my mufflers and then you modify those? also, what are the cost? i now have the motorsound package but think i would like a bit more sound.

lucas
Lucas, email me directly at: fisterd@earthlink.net
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Stages I-III are refering to the Fister Sport Exhaust Modifications. As the stages increase, so does the volume and aggressiveness of the tone. They also get lighter.
Stage I.........mildest of the 3, nice idle rumble, nice on acceleration. Not overly loud, but one of best tones you can get for a 993. In the cabin it's hard to tell any difference, but outside you can.
Stage II.......More aggressive tone, a little louder than Stage I. Also has internal modifications. More aggressive on heavy acceleration, yet mild while cruising. The best-of-both worlds.
Stage III.......Most aggressive and loudest. Complete redesign of the inside. Lightest of all 3. This mod was inspired by the GT Cup Cars at Laguna Seca. Great volume.....amazing pops and burbles! Must be heard in person. This is what I am running on my car, and I am constantly smiling, every time I fire it up....

I will say, many people end up upgrading from Stage I after they have had them on for a while. You kind of get used to the sound, and end up wanting more.
Thanks for that explanation. I guess that leaves me wondering if the LPMM mod that some do here is comparable to Fister's Stage I or not? Maybe someone who has both, or has heard both can chime in...?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Thanks for that explanation. I guess that leaves me wondering if the LPMM mod that some do here is comparable to Fister's Stage I or not? Maybe someone who has both, or has heard both can chime in...?
The original LPMM refers to Leland Pate. He built the first one with 1 1/2" galvanized pipe, and welded it with mild steel.....
I do my Stage I with 2" stainless tubing and weld it with stainless. Stage I is my version of LPMM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a fan of the RSR mufflers since you lose so much weight. RSR muffs weigh 15 lbs less in total, whereas the LPMM weight is unchanged (or gains a touch).
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI: Darin's new STGIII mufflers are the same weight as RSR's.

Quick Reply: LPMMs, Dach X-pipes, RSRs, FisterD's...and questions