993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Transmission drop - pretty easy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
degreasing in the back yard without collecting and disposing of pollutants is irresponsible; and failing to use safety gear is foolish. Eye injuries from chemicals and foreign objects are just a matter of percentages if you don't wear glasses. Inhaling solvents of any kind is harmful.

If not for you, at least as a comment for others to read in this thread -- you're not setting a good example in terms of safety or environmental conscience.
I've had about enough of this ****.

Dear hall monitor,

1. Nobody who posts pictures on this forum need worry about "setting the right example" for safety. We're all grownups here. If somebody doesn't want to wear safety glasses while he washes his gearbox, that's his goddamned business. Get a life.

2. There are dozens upon dozens of millions of cars in the United States that leak oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and CV joint grease all over our roads and driveways, all of which gets washed away every time it rains. This has a negligible impact on the environment, and is part of living in a modern industrialized society. Do you seriously believe that allowing a few drops of grease and cosmoline to get washed down the drain somewhere in suburban Maryland has *any* impact on the environment? What do you think happens when you wash your greasy hands after working on your car? It's not like he poured 10 quarts of used motor oil down a storm drain. Again, get a life. And if you're really this concerned about the environment, you should just get it over with and kill yourself, because every day you're alive you create pollution and toxins that are killing baby seals. Or at the very least, sell your polluting Porsche and ride a donkey to work.

3. One Al Gore already exists, and he's a blowhard and hypocrite. The world doesn't need another. So stop auditioning.

4. I'm going to have a Spotted Owl taco for lunch, just to **** you off.

Sincerely,
Noah

P.S.

As for tact, I think the litotes is a valid form of tactful communication. I think it belittles the recipient to sugarcoat criticism.
You didn't use a litotes, genius. A litotes is when an affirmative is expressed by negating its opposite. Not too bright, indeed.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

^^Awesome.....and you really made me hungry for a Spotted Owl taco!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

I think I just **** my pants laughing at Noah's post. Which of course means I might have created a superfund worthy environmental disaster in my gitch. Oops.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny - I remember in high school seeing my dad take used motor oil from an oil change and pour it over his landscaping timbers to preserve them. He always called it poor-man creosote. The timbers 30 years later are still there, not rotted and a termite wont go near them AND the vegetation around the timbers look pretty damn healthy too!

Im all for clean water, I surf occasionally, but I do own a pressure washer. Technically, I believe they are not legal in the area I live (5 mi from the ocean). Im not going to loose sleep over it - at least not until Tijuana MX stops dumping their raw sewage in the ocean 40 miles south of me...

I look forward to the write-up. Im dropping the engine and tranny together this month since I need to service the motor as well. Ive heard that you can do what you guys did, but never saw it written up before. Good job guys.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I've had about enough of this ****.

Dear hall monitor,

1. Nobody who posts pictures on this forum need worry about "setting the right example" for safety. We're all grownups here. If somebody doesn't want to wear safety glasses while he washes his gearbox, that's his goddamned business. Get a life.

2. There are dozens upon dozens of millions of cars in the United States that leak oil, coolant, tranny fluid, and CV joint grease all over our roads and driveways, all of which gets washed away every time it rains. This has a negligible impact on the environment, and is part of living in a modern industrialized society. Do you seriously believe that allowing a few drops of grease and cosmoline to get washed down the drain somewhere in suburban Maryland has *any* impact on the environment? What do you think happens when you wash your greasy hands after working on your car? It's not like he poured 10 quarts of used motor oil down a storm drain. Again, get a life. And if you're really this concerned about the environment, you should just get it over with and kill yourself, because every day you're alive you create pollution and toxins that are killing baby seals. Or at the very least, sell your polluting Porsche and ride a donkey to work.

3. One Al Gore already exists, and he's a blowhard and hypocrite. The world doesn't need another. So stop auditioning.

4. I'm going to have a Spotted Owl taco for lunch, just to **** you off.

Sincerely,
Noah

P.S.

You didn't use a litotes, genius. A litotes is when an affirmative is expressed by negating its opposite. Not too bright, indeed.
Thank you, Noah.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mmm...trans ****....nice!

Last edited by dcdude; 11-03-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had about enough of this <snip>
P.S.
You didn't use a litotes, genius.
I think if you took your lead from Andreas, you'd learn something about polite discussion -- he seemed able to take some constructive criticism in stride while taking exception to my choice of language. You feel the need to express plainly wrong and misguided opinions from the sidelines (one of the worst habits of people on forum sites) but thankfully the population is learning that 300 million people abusing the environment is not a sustainable national practice. And you might Google beyond the first dictionary entry on litotes.

I think folks are coming to this thread to read about a major 993 project, not to be provoked to add you (and me) to their ignore list.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Chemical waste? Seriously?
I am going to assume they didn't drain the thing on the ground and roll in it. Andreas seems to be at least bright enough not to do that.

Cosmoline itself doesn't appear to be a hazardous material, according to the US DOT.

"accumulated grease and road grime"... wow. OK. So I need to wear a hazmat suit when I wash my cars. Good to know.

Back to more important items from this thread... like, why does Cactus look suspiciously like Sir Elton John?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Back to more important items from this thread... like, why does Cactus look suspiciously like Sir Elton John?
You are wrong sir....that busted down queen Elton has more hair on top of his head than I do
Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Dang, I was going to go to the movies tonight but I think I'll stay in and monitor this post instead. This is alot more exciting than any of the lame suspense flicks out now.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
You are wrong sir....that busted down queen Elton has more hair on top of his head than I do

What was it that you said the other day regarding this?

As for the rest of this thread, I will just observe its gradual slide into an abyss of galactic silliness.

Andreas
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or at the very least, sell your polluting Porsche and ride a donkey to work.

Well said, Noah!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Or at the very least, sell your polluting Porsche and ride a donkey to work. .

But wait...that would mean that in order to be ecologically and politically correct, you'd have to pick up donkey **** on the way to work in bio-degradable little bags and take them to the appropriate donkey poop recyclers for its proper disposal and/or re-use.

No thanks...I rather deal with my leaky Porsche any day.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio993

But wait...that would mean that in order to be ecologically and politically correct, you'd have to pick up donkey **** on the way to work in bio-degradable little bags and take them to the appropriate donkey poop recyclers for its proper disposal and/or re-use.

No thanks...I rather deal with my leaky Porsche any day.
I'd take an oil leak in the 993 over a leak in your scenario ANY day of the week! yuck
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love this place! Well said Noah... And, please don't forget to vote today (Noah... CarerraGT can stay home!) !

Quick Reply: 993 Transmission drop - pretty easy!