Sponsored by:

Help, I think I need a SAI flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help, I think I need a SAI flush

So my car threw a 1411 RIGHT BEFORE I needed a smog check. Thanks car. I'm sure it's not the valve guides, since that issue has been addressed already.

Anyone know where I can get my SAI flushed in the San Francisco East Bay Area?

I really think this SAI thing is ridiculous...looking at my smog emissions numbers, my car is running SOOOOOO clean. Just stupid.

Any help would be great guys, thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sched smog ref appt say batt was disconn for some work and readiness codes won't all reset, clear codes, do drive cycle to get all but two reset, get car to smog ref, pass go and collect $200!

Car looks killer BTW
Old 10-30-2008, 11:03 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The referees are back in business as of early this month so this is an easy way around the problem for now.

If you already had a valve job, how many miles since then? It is very unlikely the SAI passages are clogged unless you have many miles on the new top end.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Could you explain more about the referees part? My renewal instructed me to go to a test-only station. My car has about 35k on the new top end.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Could you explain more about the referees part? My renewal instructed me to go to a test-only station. My car has about 35k on the new top end.
sure, here is the deal, straight from the BAR: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...e_Centers.html

Since this has just popped up you might be able to:
- Reset the SAI CEL
- Do the drive cycle to reset the readiness codes (must be done twice)
- Drive to a smog test center and pass smog

You may just want to avoid that and clear codes, go to referee, claim dead a battery. They have the power to pass you without the codes set.

All else fails, shoot me a PM on the SAI flush if you want to go that route. I am in the East Bay area and can do this.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Mark, thanks for the information and the offer to help. As it stands, my car has a freshly cleaned ISV and reset codes (not yet ready). I might just go to the referee station and get it passed just for smog sake. But if the light does come back and the code is 1411 again, I might take you up on that SAI flush. I suspect if left on, the check engine light will drive me mad.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Jim,

Sorry to read of your troubles. I sure hope after 35K miles your valve guides haven't worn to the point that oil blow-by past the guides is clogging the SAI ports.

I just got my car back from a VERY expensive top-end redo and you are describing my worst fears when it comes to code 1411.

Do you know if one or both banks of cyclinders are reporting the fault? May have to hook it up to the Porsche diagnostics software to tell.

In any case, I had something scheduled for the smog ref right before the budget crisis closed them down for a few weeks. Only reason I didn't follow through when they were back in biz was that in addition to the SAI fault I was also getting several codes for misfires, the motor was leaking at the throughbolts and my clutch was almost certainly getting a bit long in the tooth.

Anyway the point is that the ref said I could have up to two monitors not "set" and still pass. Easy to call smog ref for an appt, say you had work done or batt died. Then clear codes and hope like heck you get all but two monitors ready w/out the CEL for SAI.

Still very interested in whats up with the code after 35K miles. Who did your top-end and what/who's guides did you have installed?

Dave
Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Jim,

Do you know if one or both banks of cyclinders are reporting the fault? May have to hook it up to the Porsche diagnostics software to tell.
1411 is Cyl 4-6

Good luck Jimmy, hope it leaves and never comes back!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Jim,

Sorry to read of your troubles. I sure hope after 35K miles your valve guides haven't worn to the point that oil blow-by past the guides is clogging the SAI ports.

I just got my car back from a VERY expensive top-end redo and you are describing my worst fears when it comes to code 1411.

In any case, I had something scheduled for the smog ref right before the budget crisis closed them down for a few weeks. Only reason I didn't follow through when they were back in biz was that in addition to the SAI fault I was also getting several codes for misfires, the motor was leaking at the throughbolts and my clutch was almost certainly getting a bit long in the tooth.

Anyway the point is that the ref said I could have up to two monitors not "set" and still pass. Easy to call smog ref for an appt, say you had work done or batt died. Then clear codes and hope like heck you get all but two monitors ready w/out the CEL for SAI.

Still very interested in whats up with the code after 35K miles. Who did your top-end and what/who's guides did you have installed?

Dave
Dave, my top end was done by Callas Rennsport in Socal. The guides used are supposedly not OEM but a harder metal, the details were not divulged. I really doubt after 35K my guides are worn since I have not seen an increase in oil consumption since the top end was done.

MarkD, thanks for the kind words, I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:11 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkD
1411 is Cyl 4-6

Good luck Jimmy, hope it leaves and never comes back!
Hmm, didn't look at my decoder book, thought that was a general SAI fault code. I had the exact same one on my car.

I'd be very interested to know why the car is reporting a fault if his guides are likely in great shape. Doesn't seem to make any sense. What was interesting with my car was that only one bank of cyclinders had bad carbon build-up at about 82K miles. The other side didn't look great but was still clear enough at that mileage not to trigger a code. SAI problems suck!!!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only add to this is that I have had the SAI code for the Left bank (cyl 1-3) only, bought an EQUUS OBDII (only $130 on eBay - WELL worth it), confirmed the code, then started driving at high rpm - never under 2800-3000 rpm, except shifting. Result, SAI code disapperared but cyl #2 misfire code appeared. Ahah - could have had SAI induced by poor combustion in cyl 2. Experiment awaits completion since the car is in for its 60k tune up (at 56k) and the plug wires look sorta old. When I get it back, I will be most curious if the CEL never goes on again. Other thing to mention is the control valve for the SAI system. These get clogged with age and use and this could casue an SAI code easily (may have happned in my case). Best to replace while in maintanance. Question for Jimmy - with the new valve guides, what is your oil consumption, using 15-50 I assume? And does it vary with city driving vs on a trip?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

When my car's top end was redone we replaced that valve you mentioned but the old one actually wasn't in too bad a shape. That means it probably hadn't failed to do its job. Its just too bad the design of these SAI systems is so problematic and expensive to correct.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did your oil consumption improve after the guide job?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

If thsat question is directed at me the answer is I don't know yet. I only have a couple hundred miles on it since having the work done. I'm going to change the oil at 1000 miles per my mechanic's recommendation and may know better then but thats a few weeks away at the earliest given the low miles I drive the car. A better person to ask would be Jim who started the thread.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy,

I had SAI/CEL issues with my 96 993 but was able to pass smog with some luck and persistence. Using the Durametric software, I cleared all the fault codes and was able to set 4 of 5 of the readiness codes using the BMW driving cycle method. It took two times through the driving cycles, but it worked and I'm good for two more years.
Hard for me to imagine your SAI faults so soon after the engine work.
If it were me, I'd clear the fault codes and try to reset the readiness codes using the BMW drive cycle. (I got SAI faults if I went through the cold start/idle part of drive cycle, so avoided it.)
Good luck! You can overcome this problem!
Phil

Quick Reply: Help, I think I need a SAI flush