chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Good write up, well done.

Now, if you're REALLY worried about heat, lose the engine tray

Last edited by chris walrod; 11-02-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone done the Fister modification to a set of RSR's? I've been running Robin's mufflers for several years now, and I too wish for a more agressive sound... I have one of DACH's Sport Cat x-pipes on order, and am thinking of sending off my RSR's to Darin for modification... Comments?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
993inNC
Race Car

You may want to hold off until you install the pipes. They're going to open up your sound a bit and should make those rsr's sing! BTW should I be looking for something coming from where you are?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

You're probably right... I'll install the pipes, then see how the RSRs sound. Yes, the check in on it's way. I mailed it via first class... per the military post office's recommendation. They said all a Priority Mail enevlope would do is cost money, so it's coming in a plain white enevlope... Let me know when you get it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Has anyone done the Fister modification to a set of RSR's? I've been running Robin's mufflers for several years now, and I too wish for a more agressive sound... I have one of DACH's Sport Cat x-pipes on order, and am thinking of sending off my RSR's to Darin for modification... Comments?
My Stage II modification can't be done to RSR's, due to the missing internal parts. I have gotten a few core returns of RSR's for my Stage II, so I am working on a prototype muffler . I radically change the inside to get a more aggressive sound.

Last edited by FisterD; 11-03-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
It will be much louder with the DACH X pipe! My stock mufflers with the DACH pipe were on par with just getting RSR's, however, I did have Motorsound mufflers on there.

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Good write up, well done.

Now, if you're REALLY worried about heat, lose the engine tray
Thanks, I'm not really worried about heat, just the heat from the exhaust. My car never really gets to the 8 o'clock area. Our average temp is around 60.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
My Stage II modification can't be done to RSR's, due to the missing internal parts. I have gotten a few core returns of RSR's for my Stage II, so I am working on a prototype muffler which can be done to the RSRs that are being traded in to me. I radically change the inside to get a more aggressive Stage II sound.
Here is a video of the first prototype. it has great "backpressure burble" and is definitely louder and more aggressive. I am going to make another revision on these, to see how if I can't get even more volume (push the envelope a bit .)
This is with stock cats.
Prototype 1
Darin, you much does your mufflers (Stage II) weigh compared to RSRs? Do you remove the internal insulation material?

I would be interested in a set of your new Prototype mufflers, or if you have a set of RSRs you want to part with? PM me with price if you prefer. TIA
Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Darin, you much does your mufflers (Stage II) weigh compared to RSRs? Do you remove the internal insulation material?
Most comprehensive exhaust weight thread I know of:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/452061-weight-difference-rsr-and-stock-mufflers.html
Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

I would be interested in a set of your new Prototype mufflers, or if you have a set of RSRs you want to part with? PM me with price if you prefer. TIA
Viggo,
I finalized the Prototye mufflers yesterday (I made some revisions).......they are awesome....dare I say it....STAGE III. They will not be for everyone, louder than Stage II, incredible burble....Getting into Supercup volume range...but NO RESONANCE! WOW! I will try to shoot a new video today (raining now) and get it posted. I am very exited, they sound BAD A$$! Very mean!
Completely redesigned on the inside (no external bypass pipe), no insulation. I haved not weighed them yet, as they are still on my car.

I have all of these in my shop. This is how they weigh on my scale:
Stock............ 16 lbs
FSE Stg I.......16.2 lbs
FSE Stg II......14 lbs
RSRs.............11 lbs
Stage III.........? TBD
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm looking forward to stage 3........hopefully i'll be able to get some quality drives in before the snow flies.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Viggo,
I finalized the Prototye mufflers yesterday (I made some revisions).......they are awesome....dare I say it....STAGE III. They will not be for everyone, louder than Stage II, incredible burble....Getting into Supercup volume range...but NO RESONANCE! WOW! I will try to shoot a new video today (raining now) and get it posted. I am very exited, they sound BAD A$$! Very mean!
Completely redesigned on the inside (no external bypass pipe), no insulation. I haved not weighed them yet, as they are still on my car.

I have all of these in my shop. This is how they weigh on my scale:
Stock............ 16 lbs
FSE Stg I.......16.2 lbs
FSE Stg II......14 lbs
RSRs.............11 lbs
Stage III.........? TBD
Darin, WOW, awesome progress . So your Stage III mufflers are built using the RSRs as a base? Can't wait to watch the videoclip! Thanks for the weight figures. What happened to the Prototype I video? "Video was removed by user".
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Darin, WOW, awesome progress . So your Stage III mufflers are built using the RSRs as a base? Can't wait to watch the videoclip! Thanks for the weight figures. What happened to the Prototype I video? "Video was removed by user".
Actually, The prototype began life as an RSR, but no part of the RSR remains. It is completely redesigned, and can be done with any stock muffler. I removed the video, because the Prototype 1 muffler no longer exists. I wasn't finished with the prototype, and made another revision to it. I have now satisfied the Porsche demons in my head. I just shot the new muffler...STAGE III. MarkD is dumping it to you tube for me. I should have a link tonight. I will definitely post as soon as I get it. It is definitely not for the timid.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 AM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the link is up.......is this it darin? if so, i can't wait!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TpVBEouwY
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roche

You found it! I posted a new thread about the Stage III.
Stage III
I now have to build myself a set for my car....I LOVE THEM!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roche

WOW, this is SICK! Darin, I thought I was done with the Stage IIs.... now I have to reconsider. I must make another trip to your shop to check this out!

Quick Reply: Fister STG II's