Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arena Red vs. Silver exterior

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Speaking of AR, a nice TT listing on Autotrader. Anyone's here?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=65120219&ct=p
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not having ever owned a 993 (or any Porsche), when I was doing my pre-purchase investigation I spent a lot of time reading this Forum. There was one thread among many that that discussed color options, and the consensus seemed to be that dark colors showed the curves better than light.

With that in mind I started looking at dark colored Porsches and the first time I saw an Arena Red on Rennlist I knew that was it. My search over almost a year seemed to show that Arena Red was only available on at best ten percent of the 993s that came up for sale.

Gary
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tanger
Speaking of AR, a nice TT listing on Autotrader. Anyone's here?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=65120219&ct=p
I saw this baby on the Denver CL. Been meaning to find a reason to go by and check it out. Let me know if anyone need me to put eyes on this beauty...

Bob-
Old 04-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I really like AR. It's a luscious sort of color that has depth. And unique for a sports car (I always think red, yellow, silver, white, black for sports cars; and not Macadamia, Malachite Green, Nordic Gold, etc.. But AR is good!)

It looks yummy when washed and waxed. Otherwise it can look horrible. Several of the ARs I had looked at had swirls. It made me realize I was going to chose between always cleaning the car or not having to worry so much about it.

So, after years of dark and hard-to-keep-looking-good colors, I had to go with Polar Silver. I still clean it often but don't have to all the time just to keep it looking decent. There's nothing worse than a good color that looks dirty, imho. My DD is a neutral gray for that reason, too.

But nonetheless, AR is a super color.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I really like AR. It's a luscious sort of color that has depth. And unique for a sports car (I always think red, yellow, silver, white, black for sports cars; and not Macadamia, Malachite Green, Nordic Gold, etc.. But AR is good!)

It looks yummy when washed and waxed. Otherwise it can look horrible. Several of the ARs I had looked at had swirls. It made me realize I was going to chose between always cleaning the car or not having to worry so much about it.

So, after years of dark and hard-to-keep-looking-good colors, I had to go with Polar Silver. I still clean it often but don't have to all the time just to keep it looking decent. There's nothing worse than a good color that looks dirty, imho. My DD is a neutral gray for that reason, too.

But nonetheless, AR is a super color.
I have had two silver Porsches and one Black on Black. I liked those well enough but as easy to clean as silver is I never got really EXCITED about it, you know? And black...that thing was a beast to keep clean! The AR really glows in the light when it is clean. My approach is that I dont drive it in the rain, typically...so I use my California duster between drives and it stays pretty clean. Any dirty car looks crumby I guess...some more than others!

Bottom line...pick the color that you love when it is clean and become a detail nut like me!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Silver

Unlike darker colors, silver never looks great and never looks bad. Black and other dark colors look great when clean and polished and look bad when dirty. 993s look great/strong in dark colors. There are so many silver cars that it tends to look boring, however it is very easy to live with on a driver.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

When I bought my Arena red car in October, many friends questioned why I would get that color. Now, after this week's detail, EVERYONE that has seen the car has commented on how the color looks amazing!!!! My silver car should be here this month and I'll take some comparrison pics side by side.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Huh? They make these cars in other colors than just silver? Who knew? And why?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Arena Red rocks, in my view, even though I'm a black on red guy.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zedder, I see you and I were deep into the red this weekend! I spent all weekend on mine...I love the color more with time. When polished the depth of AR is astounding.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ABCar; 05-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arena Red is absolutely beautiful (very elegant, especially over marble grey), but silver is the classic Porsche color (Porsche Number 1, most 550 Spyders, etc.) and the color that Porsche seems to most often choose to market its recent high-end offerings (e.g., Carrera GT, 918 Spyder) - so that tells me that the factory, throughout its history, has considered silver to be a color that exudes "Porscheness."

I do recall the "Kills Bugs Fast" poster (Arena Red 993 turbo) however.

I love all 911s in all colors, but silver (in all its iterations) is my favorite.

I found it interesting/surprising that on the "Ultimate Factories" episode on the 911, they said that the most popular colors are (IIRC) Red, White and Black - not silver.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 AM
banzai993
Racer

Purdy.....real purdy...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
BBeebe
AutoX

Finally a topic I am qualified to answer as I have owned both. Arena Red is a very "rich" color, but it appears by the marketplace more people perfer silver. As was said before, buy what YOU like, screw everyone else.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Metallic silver or Arena red metallic were my two choices in the end when ordering the 993. It was a toss up however the interior had to be full black leather regardless. A test driver MY96 C4 993 I'd borrowed for the day way back in '97 was Arena Red w/ full black leather. Made me think twice about ordering Arctic Silver Metallic.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Arena red and silver are great as long as they are black.....

Quick Reply: Arena Red vs. Silver exterior