993 Forum 1995-1998

Arena Red vs. Silver exterior

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arena Red vs. Silver exterior

I am looking for a 96-98 S2 coupe. Silver w/black interior was my original #1 color choice. I was leaving my options open to other colors and ended up looking at an Arena Red w/gray interior. I must say I liked it a lot and I am now torn between that and the silver. I think silver just screams Porsche, German, 911, etc. and I always envisioned a silver 911 in my garage. The Arena red is a little more eye catching/stunning to me without being a really strong color like yellow or guards red.

I know that color is a personal choice, but wondering if there are general market guidelines on the desirability of these colors. It seems there are a lot of silver cars out there and I guess that means it was a very desirable color (and probably still is). For arena red, there are fewer cars out there and it's probably not on everyones top list of colors, but it seems that some people like it a lot. Is arena red generally considered a "desirable" color? Should I have concerns about re-sale on an arena red car based on the color?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same boat too and I looked at an Arena Red w/classic grey color combo car and thought it was one of the classiest looking color combos and since then look at the Silver/black combo as kinda plain and typical. As far as value I don't think that silver will fetch more nor will arena red bring less. Thats MHO. And I bought the Arena Red!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colour is definetly a personal choice that must be made by the purchaser of the respective car. I personally find Arena Red to be gorgeous, and would bet that a lot of people on RL would agree.

From what I've seen of others purchasing 993's, the price of Arena Red cars was no less than the other colours made by Porsche if the cars were of similar miles, good shape, good service history, passed the PI, etc.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Arena Red is faster
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....and drops panties quicker than silver...... any ....day ......of...... the....... week.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by kdurg
....and drops panties quicker than silver...... any ....day ......of...... the....... week.
My wife did say she liked the color.... but I didn't really appreciate what she was saying until you clarified it. I'll make sure she is clear on the concept before any final decisions are made.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Silver Arena Red
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was first shopping for a 993, I was only looking at silver... until I ran into arena red. I've owned two of them.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color is indeed personal. Arena Red seems to have its devotees. Personally I had a hand-me-down Acura Integra in that Arena Red color, and that ruined it for me.

Silver seems more classic to me, in a historical way. When did you ever see a picture of James Dean in his Arena Red 550? Or pics of old school LeMans and Nurburgring races with Arena Red? No, they were all silver. And the very first Porsche? Silver.

Now I know you may say, so what? And you would be right. But to me, when I think of a Porsche I see silver in my mind. I only wish I could have found a silver exterior and red interior 993, which is another historically correct color combo....maybe Mark Wilson will decide to sell his 993 C4S, or exchange his red interior trim with me.....

While that line of thinking would lead to the ridiculous conclusion that every Porsche must be silver, the way I look at it is: I only get to own one Porsche as far as I know, so I'm gonna make it the color that I like the most, whether it's common or uncommon. And you should too.

There is no wrong color. I would gladly own an Arena Red Porsche anything over a silver Corvette.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 AM
banzai993
Racer

both look good on the 993 but the AR is more unique .. except on this thread
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

An Arena red turbo is what Porsche used to advertise the tt when the car came out. Kinda stuck in my mind I think.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
banzai993
Racer

and I bought one in 1997.. and when conditions required me to sell it (my dumbass thinking) and the conditions warranted me buying another Pcar (I came out from under the ether) i had to get another AR car.. could not afford the TT this time around but I got her little sister instead...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I had a choice, I would have bought Arena Red. But I had no choice when my car came up.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I love Arena Red. I have guards now, but if she sells and I get another, I'm opting for a different color. I'd love Rivi or Mexico blue, but those are so hard to find... will probably end up with something else. Anything except black. But AR would be near the top of my list as well. I've not seen one I didn't like.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
Arena Red is faster
Originally Posted by kdurg
I agree with the above comments. I get more complements with my color. The Arena Red with a grey interior and a grey cab top is real sexy and classy.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Arena Red vs. Silver exterior