Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guards Red will fade faster than other colors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 AM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guards Red will fade faster than other colors?

Probably in the next year I will be in the market to trade up from my '88 911 to a 993.

My current car is black and it looks awesome after a wash and shine. Then the next day it is covered with pollen and dew, etc. and it looks like crap. So this time around I'm trying to avoid the darker colors.

I would like to try Guards Red. I've never had a red car before and I want to try something different instead of the "safe colors" like black or silver.

My friend has a 993 and he says the Guards Red is more prone to fading (but not Arena Red).

I know all paints fade over time, but will Guards Red pigment fade that much faster than the other colors (midnight blue, black, silver)?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any darker color will most likely oxidize faster if exposed to the same amount of light and conditions as a lighter color due to the fact that dark colors simply absorb more light vs. reflecting it.

With regard to Guards Red vs. Arena Red, this is just a guess, but it may be that Arena doesn't fade as fast because it is a Metallic base paint (again reflects more light.) Let's wait and see what the real paint experts have to say...

Old 10-16-2008, 02:16 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I would offer that its all in how you care for the guards red paint. If the car is garaged and its cared for I see no issues. How is that for a 14 years old paint:
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Looks pretty damn good!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While caring for the paint certainly will make a huge difference... All red paints fade faster than most other colors... I've always been told that this is due to the stuff the paint manufacturers make the pigment out of. The only color that fades faster than red, I've always heard, is silver...

I'm sure we have some auto paint experts here who can explain better than I.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

It depends if you are parked in the desert all day or a parking garage. If it sits out all day then I would not get red.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

FWIW, more red cars win at car shows and concours than an other color. More people, (including law enforcement) are attracted to red than an other color. Having said that, proper preventive maintenance will pay big dividends in keeping any color paint in good condition.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
red89
Racer

Default GR is awesome

Mine looks like the day is was born, almost twenty years.

Originally Posted by plymouthcolt
Probably in the next year I will be in the market to trade up from my '88 911 to a 993.

My friend has a 993 and he says the Guards Red is more prone to fading (but not Arena Red).

I know all paints fade over time, but will Guards Red pigment fade that much faster than the other colors (midnight blue, black, silver)?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I know that there is some debate about whether or not guards red has a clearcoat(https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/195779-clear-coat-or-no-clear-coat-on-guards-red.html), but maybe it's the lack of a clearcoat that is causing the fading issues.

Before I bought my current, green, 2007 Sequoia, I looked into getting a white Sequoia and found, to my dismay, that the non-pearlescent whites were single stage, non-clearcoated colors. I looked closely at various Camrys, 4Runners and Sequoias and found many with faded paint from owners who had not waxed them on a regular basis. I'm a clearcoat guy, so I chose a two stage green with a clearcoat on it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
It depends if you are parked in the desert all day or a parking garage. If it sits out all day then I would not get red.
+1. How many pink Toyotas do you see running around that used to be "Super Red" or whatever? While we've seen some pristine examples here, I expect that Guards Red is the color that's least tolerant of abusive care. Depends on where you park it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:53 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GR daily driver and it still looks great. The paint was phenomenal when I bought it and is now in need of another detail (2 years later) as there are many fine scratches from the rigors of daily use and the fact that I cover it daily. The cover protects from sun damage but does contribute to fine scratches.

I like the single state paint because it polishes up extremely well - just look at DJF1's car. I would normally favor "safer" colors for my cars as well (although I have a red one and a yellow one, go figure) but could not be happier with the red 993. It is very striking and really shows off the design well. My only other choice would have been blue (preferably Mexico, etc).

But, the best part of the 993 is being behind the wheel and you can't really tell what color it is from that seat...well, except for the red ones cause they are faster, right?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine still looks great (With a little bit of care ofcourse)
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Any uncared for car will oxidize. But yes, red does it a bit faster. Do you know how to stop it? It's really hard...

YOU WAX IT! Like 3-4X a year, you will be fine. Then every year or 2 you polish it out. The car will be showroom fresh after.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in your shoes just about a year ago, I found the right car, from the right owner with the right records at the right price. It just happened to be GR. I really wanted a silver, black or blue cab, but whatever I wound up with red. I was VERY fearful of the fadeing factor, too.

If you lived in Arizona without a garage, I would look for something else. If you can do a really good wax & detail twice a year and will park the car in a garage I think you will be fine.

I am also under the impression that my 95 has no clearcoat, therefore if ever need be I can spend some serious money with a real detail professional who could bring the life back to it if it started to fade on me.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
I would offer that its all in how you care for the guards red paint. If the car is garaged and its cared for I see no issues. How is that for a 14 years old paint:
After you polished it with a machine

My GR car also has been cared for so looks quite shiny.

As Danny says, it is how you care for the paint. Guards Red has no clear coat so perhaps this makes it more prone to fade than Arena Red?

Harry

Quick Reply: Guards Red will fade faster than other colors?