3rd Brake Light -> LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light -> LEDs

Hi guys,

I had been looking for a 993 for about four years, and earlier this year I saw one that looked right for me for sale on AutoTrader. It was a '97 C2 advertised with "33,000 miles" and "needs nothing". Zenith Blue Metalic over Royal Blue partial leather interior. Mods: H&R lowering springs, 18" Turbo Twists (Technology?), Sparco seats (original seats included) and airbox drilled and hogged out. The seller wanted $39,999 and the price was non-negotiable.

The PPI showed that it needed about $1000 worth of repairs (so much for "needs nothing" ): the front tires were at 0% remaining, the rear decklid shocks were shot (wouldn't begin to keep the decklid up) and a few other relatively minor issues. The seller put on new front tires and said that he would have the rear decklid shocks replaced by the time I flew down to check it out.

When I got there, the decklid shocks were not replaced as promised (and no other PPI issues addressed other than new front tires) and he still refused to budge on the price. Also, the mileage was 34,070 (so much for "33,000" ). I decided to get it anyway since it was in overall great condition and drove fantastic . Pics to come, I only have the POs (as in my Avatar).

Anyhow, one of the PPI issues that was not addressed was the 3rd brake light. Five bulbs were burned out which seemed odd since it only had 34k miles, and was not the sellers DD.

Has anyone heard of replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs? Does anyone have the 3rd brake light schematic that they would be willing to share? There will need to be a current limiting resistor or resistors, so I need to see the schematic.

Thanks for any help!

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

if you're good with a soldering iron, you can buy those little bulbs individually from the dealer and replace them yourself. It's not that hard and there's a DIY at pcar.com
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

When I got mine inspected my mechanic gave me a couple of led bulbs for my 3rd brakelight and told me they need to be soldered.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced 5 in mine at about 82,000 miles. Very easy to do (at least on the basket handle of mine). The DIY on p-car.com is for the newer roof mounted 3rd brake light, and I used it to do mine. They are almost identical except for mounting point.

Buy a few extra bulbs, just in case
Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 years?
wow. congrats on the purchase! Sounds nice.

Here ya go: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...rd_Brake_Light
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
if you're good with a soldering iron, you can buy those little bulbs individually from the dealer and replace them yourself. It's not that hard and there's a DIY at pcar.com
Chuck,

I already have the replacement bulbs and the DIY printed out. Yes, I'm very good with a soldering iron, electronics is my business. But, I was just thinking, would I have to replace burned out bulbs again on a regular basis? If I replace all of the bulbs with LEDs now, I should never have to worry about it again.

I would like to see the schematic in order to design in the LEDs.

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cactus
When I got mine inspected my mechanic gave me a couple of led bulbs for my 3rd brakelight and told me they need to be soldered.
Hey Cactus,

I think you mean that he gave you the incandescent bulbs, not LEDs, right?
I have the replacements and the DIY, but I was thinking about replacing all of the existing bulbs with LEDs. I just need to see the schematic.

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Originally Posted by CADguy
Chuck,

I already have the replacement bulbs and the DIY printed out. Yes, I'm very good with a soldering iron, electronics is my business. But, I was just thinking, would I have to replace burned out bulbs again on a regular basis? If I replace all of the bulbs with LEDs now, I should never have to worry about it again.

I would like to see the schematic in order to design in the LEDs.

Gary
I replaced mine a few years ago and haven't had an issue since. Regardless, the schematics would be on the workshop manual. Maybe someone here can scan the page. Otherwise, just follow the wire down to were it gets power and put the resistor there. You might even be able to fit it right in the assembly on the roof.
MarkD
Rennlist Member

You can DL the shop manual here. Not sure how good the schematics are. BIG download... http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm think these are scans...

good luck
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black993
Replaced 5 in mine at about 82,000 miles. Very easy to do (at least on the basket handle of mine). The DIY on p-car.com is for the newer roof mounted 3rd brake light, and I used it to do mine. They are almost identical except for mounting point.

Buy a few extra bulbs, just in case
Well I figured that if there are already five burned out at 34k miles, it will be an ongoing thing to replace burned out ones. If I replace all of them with LEDs now, it would pretty much be the last time I have to worry about the 3rd brake light.

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CADguy
Well I figured that if there are already five burned out at 34k miles, it will be an ongoing thing to replace burned out ones. If I replace all of them with LEDs now, it would pretty much be the last time I have to worry about the 3rd brake light.

Gary
or just replace the others when they burn out. Really isn't a big project.
You are an engineer, aren't you?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a good excuse to get out in the garage, no?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkD
4 years?
wow. congrats on the purchase! Sounds nice.

Here ya go: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...rd_Brake_Light
Hey Mark,

Thanks, yeah it took four years 'cause I was very picky about the exterior and interior colors, and wanted low miles to boot! It drives like a dream, actually it still does feel like I'm dreaming.

Thanks, I already have the bulbs and DIY, but was thinking of replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs.

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
CADguy
Instructor

You can DL the shop manual here. Not sure how good the schematics are. BIG download... http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm think these are scans...

good luck
Thanks Mark. I'll download it here at work, we've got a serious industrial strength internet connection .

Gary
Old 09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
CADguy
Instructor

or just replace the others when they burn out. Really isn't a big project.
You are an engineer, aren't you?
Yeah, it doesn't look like that big of a deal. I'm a PCB Design Engineer with AMD. I do PCB design/layout, the Engineer in the title is to justify my salary .

Gary

Quick Reply: 3rd Brake Light -> LEDs