Sponsored by:

Installed a Lift Master

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Installed a Lift Master

I finally have some flexibility in my garage. Due to my ceiling height and the use of a chain drive opener, I've had to store my SC over top of the C4S. Something about the shape of the Targa versus the Coupe only allowed the Targa to be on top. Today, I had a LiftMaster opener installed and I now have a full foot of extra space on top. The door is even lighter because the direct drive jack shaft opener doesn't require the extra door panel on top to pull.

Now I can put the SC on the bottom and the C4S on top so I can drive it more frequently and give the C4S a rest. It even lifts up high enough now to park my BMW. The unit is very quiet and comes with lots of features to boot.

Here's a shot of the old setup and of the new Lift Master. I'll see how well the unit works over time, but today at least it's great.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-24-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Shazzam! I'm going to look into that. Looks like it replaces the wound spring?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tonydec
Shazzam! I'm going to look into that. Looks like it replaces the wound spring?
Doesn't replace the wound spring. It's on the opposite side; out of sight in this photo. I couldn't take a head on shot because of the cars. The spring is still used to neutralize the door weight in case you have to open it manually and makes it not have to work as hard. Actually the wound spring in the first photo is the one that remains in place.

The unit even comes with a dead bolt lock that works automatically.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly the set-up I am looking for!! When you have a second, what is the height from the floor to the ceiling? I have a lowered Volvo V70R wagon that I would put underneath the 993 and I think this set-up would accomodate both assuming the ceiling height is the similar to my garage.

Thanks.

JH
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhale
That is exactly the set-up I am looking for!! When you have a second, what is the height from the floor to the ceiling? I have a lowered Volvo V70R wagon that I would put underneath the 993 and I think this set-up would accomodate both assuming the ceiling height is the similar to my garage.

Thanks.

JH
Floor to ceiling is 125 inches.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered one with my new garage build. I had never heard of them until recently. They are a great space saver and a must if you have a vaulted ceiling. I think it was only $200 more over the std Chamberlain 1/2 hp. I will now have 11' clear which should allow the lift to go to the max height. I'm deferring any under car maintenance until the lift is ready to go.

Does yours have the automatic electric locking mechanism? I hear this is required on these types of openers. I didn't ask if that was included as std with the Liftmaster but I think it is.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That is a cool idea! My opener is a bit in the way when I lift a 911 on my two post lift, I was just thinking of moving the opener over, but if it fails this looks like a great solution!

Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

These (the openers) are great solutions - had two put into my garage. The jack shaft openers are the same concept as the industrial kind and for years they weren't out because of the lack of safety sensors (you know, kids and the like...) - but finally, finally, they've come around.

Nice garage man.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
jhale
Pro

Floor to ceiling is 125 inches.
Great, thanks. I am going to measure the ceiling height this weekend and see if I can make it work.

Quick Reply: Installed a Lift Master