993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, First Maintenance, First Problem, First Post

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 12:43 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Plug threads are M14x1.25: I would suggest using a 'chase' vs. a 'tap'. The former has a less aggressive profile meant for cleaning existing threading - wheras the latter is designed to cut new threads. The tap will work perfectly well - but it MUST center on the first of the existing threads, or it will cut them into non-existance .... so proceed with caution
Old 09-04-2008 | 12:46 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Before the chase/tap put a lot of grease on the tip tap, hopefully it will pick up any metal shaving as you back it out.
Old 09-04-2008 | 06:47 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Wow. Sounds like a nightmare. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008 | 11:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Work on it carefully...if uncertain get professional help. Getting metal filings into the combustion chamber is not the end of the world (they are likely just to get burnt or blown out the combustion chamber).

ALso, check out the pictures on www.pcarworkshop.com ; the 993 engine pictures will help you with the routing of the wires.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-06-2008 | 04:23 AM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Whew! All is well and the engine is grumbling like it should be! No more CEL. Took four stores before finding the correct tap at o'rielly's. Only found one "chase" and it could not fit the opening since it required using a 13/16 spark plug socket to drive it. The tap shaved some metal off and stuck to the grease tip as suggested by Robin.

Great pictures on your site Mike. Are those relatively new? Did not remember seeing those a couple of months ago. Anyways, maybe you can identify a part regarding this picture on your link. http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...101_-_0046.JPG

It is the part that has the larger vacum hose labeled "E." If I am not mistaken, it is right behind the Alternator cover. Is this the tank vent valve? I see some wet oil stains around this area and was wondering if anyone knew about this problem?

Again, thanks for everyone's help and suggestions as this is getting me closer to getting the car ready for my first DE event next week at TWS in College Station, TX. Anyone else going to that event?
Old 09-06-2008 | 05:09 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Just back home and seing this thread...Man you're lucky!
It doesn't sound like that car was too well maintained by the previous owner. I would suggest a good check on the brake pads and flush the brake/clutch fluid replacing it with a fresh one.

Not bad as a first post! Welcome to the best forum!
Old 09-06-2008 | 09:08 AM
95_993
Race Car

tchubacha,

Nicely done! Such a great forum as well. That's the "fun" thing about DIY....no matter how simple the task appears, there is always the possibility of "something" more. Your patience and research really paid off.

As for the comment ^^^^ above, I don't believe your experience indicates the car was poorly maintained by the PO and you shouldn't be alarmed. Although a good check on the brake pads and flush the brake/clutch fluid is always a good suggestion "if" you don't know when it was last done.
Old 09-06-2008 | 12:19 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

I was looking specifically for a high mileage C4S of any kind to mod to a turbo in about a year. I have one co-worker that use to make turbo kits for mazda 3's/ford focus and another one is a machinist/mechanic that fabricates older alfa/fiat/bmw parts. And we are a hedge fund outfit, go figure. They swear it can be done like none before. I am not ever looking to sell any car, so lost on investment is not really an issue. I am still driving a 96 mazda mx6 and my other vehicle is a 01 Tundra. Don't make the same $$$ in IT as the traders that are driving 08 Turbos. Anyways, I am glad that this 4S was available and even put my deposit down before seeing the car in person. Also the price was right at 36K since I could not find a single 4S for under 40. And I knew it was the perfect car once I saw and test drove it for the first time. Luckily, all of the 996 C4S that was in my price range were sold.

Now, back to the maintenance history of the car. It was suppose to be well kept by a "reputable" Porsche shop and the PO has all of the records. A big plus as since I was going to drive it 3K miles back. He spent almost 9K on it last year alone! If only he would have sold it me before doing all of that maintenance to get the car in "selling" condition last year. Cosmetically, the car is in great condition inside and out since half of that 9K went to that last year. Engine maintenance is another story as I found out now. Wonder why they only replaced one spark wire. And only cleaned the distributor caps and charged 1.5hr of labor. A couple of bolts were missing, one of the 3 hex bolt holding the muffler bracket and one of the 2 for the air intake tube. But I guess its one of those "if you want it done right, DIY." Or twice in my case. Call it a right of passage or whatever, but I know I will not not install a distributor cap rotor incorrectly again. Or have you guys to set me straight! Thanks for welcoming me and now I better get out there and do some more work on the car. Also got my membership ID yesterday so I will be posting some pictures soon.
Old 09-06-2008 | 12:26 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Glad to hear you got your car all sort it out, don't beat yourself up too hard on any mistakes it can happen to all of us.

I remember when I changed out my distributor belt in my 993, I decided to change the PS belt while I was at it. And accidentally moved the TDC mark on the crank pulley. I saw that the crank pulley was off and moved it back into the spot again. What I did was moved it 60 degrees. Car would not start after I installed the distributor, gave me bunch of cold sweat until I figured out what went wrong. Lesson from this is, do one thing at a time. LOL!
Old 09-06-2008 | 12:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tchubacha
I was looking specifically for a high mileage C4S of any kind to mod to a turbo in about a year. I have one co-worker that use to make turbo kits for mazda 3's/ford focus and another one is a machinist/mechanic that fabricates older alfa/fiat/bmw parts. And we are a hedge fund outfit, go figure. They swear it can be done like none before. I am not ever looking to sell any car, so lost on investment is not really an issue. I am still driving a 96 mazda mx6 and my other vehicle is a 01 Tundra. Don't make the same $$$ in IT as the traders that are driving 08 Turbos. Anyways, I am glad that this 4S was available and even put my deposit down before seeing the car in person. Also the price was right at 36K since I could not find a single 4S for under 40. And I knew it was the perfect car once I saw and test drove it for the first time. Luckily, all of the 996 C4S that was in my price range were sold.
Did you get your C4S for $36k? That is crazy cheap! nice find, I wouldn't be upset at all to find out it needed a few things here & there!
Old 09-06-2008 | 02:33 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

35,800 + tax to be exact. Really nice guy who sold it to me. I put a deposit down just after talking to the guy over the phone so that I would have first dibs on it. He set aside a whole day to tell me everything he knew about the car. He told me he had spare "chips" for the car that turned out to be DME spares.
Old 09-06-2008 | 09:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tchubacha
Great pictures on your site Mike. Are those relatively new? Did not remember seeing those a couple of months ago. Anyways, maybe you can identify a part regarding this picture on your link. http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...101_-_0046.JPG

It is the part that has the larger vacum hose labeled "E." If I am not mistaken, it is right behind the Alternator cover. Is this the tank vent valve? I see some wet oil stains around this area and was wondering if anyone knew about this problem?
Nope, the site has had a big inventory of pictures since day one . Additions such as the complete set of TSB's etc. was later. I have a bunch of new articles queued up for addition and hopefully will have time to get to it soon.

You might be getting oil leaks/etc from the case vent ; its right behind the alternator, dead center to the engine, and towards the back.

You can see where the vent is ; it plugged with the rag. This is a shot looking from the back to the front of the engine, looking at the back of the cover for the alternator.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...103_-_0041.JPG

Here is a closer look at leak that I had, the cover is the one with the rag on it.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...103_-_0068.JPG

Its common as the gaskets dry out.....

Cheers

Mike
Old 09-12-2008 | 05:35 PM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Getting ready for IKE here in Houston!
Attached Images  

Last edited by tchubacha; 02-04-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: First Porsche, First Maintenance, First Problem, First Post