Sponsored by:

H&R Suspension installed, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H&R Suspension installed, a few questions

I just installed a used set of H&R coilovers that were purchased from a fellow RL'er. There were claimed to be on his car just over a month I believe he said. I'm having two issues with the front and hoping someone can shed some light on exactly what might be happening.

1. Ride Height. The front is LOOOOW. Fenders sit at 25 3/8" which, from reading some of Jeff's(InTheAir) posts, suggest that is RS height territory. I wasn't looking to go that low but I can not get the car to come up any higher. The perches are threaded all the way to the top. It was my understanding this H&R kit (99% sure its the street kit, it has the blue, silver, and black perches/lock collars) would lower the car anywhere from 1 to 2.5 inches. I was right around 27" fender height before it was lowered, and again, the perches are threaded all the way up with no more room for adjustment. Its just too low. I followed Jeff's DIY install for dummies post but the measurements were off on what I was using, and I attributed that to installing the H&R's instead of the Bilstein HD's.

2. Noise. I have a very harsh clunking noise from the front on bumps. This seems to occur over things like manhole covers, pushed up pavement, etc. It sounds like the front end of the car is going to come apart. I've double-checked everything to make sure everything is tight and in its proper place. The only thing I can think is its coming from the hats or that the springs are not seated properly.

I searched around and didn't come up with too much, hoping someone can help figure out what I've done wrong, or what is wrong with the setup. The car drives ok and feels very solid in the rear, but the front doesn't seem right. It may be in my head because of how low it is, but it seems EXTREMELY stiff up front.

FWIW, the rear seems fine and has plenty of threads to go either up or down.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

For the clunking, its easy not to get the top bearing seated where it needs to be upon tightening the shock shaft nut.

The nut will tighten down, but only because the top bearing can be sitting on a shoulder of the shock shaft, and not all the way down on the flat bearing surface of the shock shaft. It may be seated now that the car has been driven, go out and have a look. Perhaps even post a few pictures of the left and the right top nuts.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Black993
Drifting

Thanks Chris. Do you think if thats the problem it would also cause or relate to the ride height issue?

Passenger side front:

Drivers side front:
Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What shocks are you using?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have H&R springs over stock springs on a 95 C2, installed about 2,000 miles ago. Front higth measured to bottom of fender lip is 24.5" and rear is 25". I hear that they are slightly lower than RS, but so far have cleared all of the speed bumbs taken very sloooow.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:02 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone here suggested tieing the spring to the "hat" with marine grade wire? something to do with the clunking over bumps.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

I don't know what 25 3/8" roughly translates to for front chassis height, but my max front chassis height is ~134mm, which is near the very top of RS range. (Actually, we "cheated" up the collar a full thread beyond the end of the threaded portion of the shock body to get up to 133mm during the corner balance.) The rear matches at ~115mm. Perfect height for overall street use, IMO.

As Pewter pointed out, the rattling could be unloaded springs banging against the hats. Easy fix is to get some stainless marine seizing wire and tie the top of the spring to the hat.

What is your front and rear chassis heights?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Black993
Drifting

Thanks for the info. Guess I missed that in my research on these things somehow.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:41 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same setup on my cabrio since 2002. Really great coilover system. Had/have the same clunking noise, only its the rears for me. First it was the right side, now its the left. The right side we "wrapped" the top to the hat, problem solved. Got to do the same thing on the left side.

As for the ride height, mine sits at 25.3 inches at RS height. Never had an issue really, looks fantastic , but I did install Gert's front protection bar.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJF1
I have the same setup on my cabrio since 2002. Really great coilover system. Had/have the same clunking noise, only its the rears for me. First it was the right side, now its the left. The right side we "wrapped" the top to the hat, problem solved. Got to do the same thing on the left side.

As for the ride height, mine sits at 25.3 inches at RS height. Never had an issue really, looks fantastic , but I did install Gert's front protection bar.
What do you mean by "wrapped" the top to the hat?
Thanks, glad to know I may be able to enjoy these after all.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
What do you mean by "wrapped" the top to the hat?
Thanks, glad to know I may be able to enjoy these after all.
Yeah, just that, wrapped with plastic film! The mechanic who did this up here in Vancouver ( SCAN Automotive) have encountered this on race cars. You may call them, speak to James and asked him about Danny's red cabrio. He can give you the details... http://www.scanautomotive.com/
Old 08-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Get the part # on the springs, you may need to purchase longer springs in the same weight. You know H&R makes about 6 different coil over systems for the 993?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Black993
Drifting

I took the car out this morning again to get some miles under it and see if things would settle any more. It seems that they have, to an extent. Its much less noticeable compared to the first drive after the install. Its still there on slow bumps (turning into a parking lot, small bump in the road). Its fine at speed and it rides really well.

Question though....
Is it possible to tie the hats down while in the car? I really don't want to remove the strut assembly again if I don't have to. Just wondering if there is DIY on this or anyone has experience with it.

Thanks again for all the help thus far, and for Jeff's great DIY on the install. I LOOOVE my car that much more now! Pics to come tonight hopefully
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
RedlineRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin,

From your pictures, it looks like you have more exposed threads than I remember.
Did you transfer the spacer washer that is located between the upper mount and
spring hat (964.343.514.00) ?

Steve
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

You also need to use a tool to hold the shaft in place while you tighten the nut at the top. Robin's site has a good photo of that. You may have softened up the compression or rebound depending on the shock design if you didn't. Also make sure the springs were mounted right side up.

Bilstein offers front struts with extra threads to allow more height adjustment.

Quick Reply: H&R Suspension installed, a few questions