993 Forum 1995-1998

Haze spots after car was covered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Haze spots after car was covered?

I've had to leave the 993 (guards red, single stage paint) outside the past few nights, as I'm having construction work done in the garage (building a man-cave upstairs).

I've kept the car covered, because there's a tree over my driveway that drops berries that birds eat and they s--- all over everything. It's not a pretty sight.

It rained one night, and when I uncovered the car the next morning to drive it, I discovered some round whitish haze marks on the paint, about the size of a nickel, only on the hood up near the windshield, both sides.

I have seen this before with car covers but can't remember how to address it; they don't rub off easily, I know that much. I assume since it's single stage paint I can go down far enough if I have to, because there's no clear coat, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this.

Ironically, this same car spent most of a winter outdoors two years ago, with the same cover, snow, ice, soaking rains, covered for weeks at a time ... and no spots. I just had it detailed a month ago, with 3M products, so I'm wondering if it's somehow related.

Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Try just a car wash, if that doesn't work, use a light polish , or a cleaner wax.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No, this is deeper into the paint somehow ... hard to describe but I've seen it before ...
Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try a Glaze to rub out the water spots. The 3M Hand Glaze works miracles! A glaze is the lightest of the compounds and should not hurt your paint provided you are careful. That should work. Then follow up with wax.

Better yet, take it back to your detail guy, point to the spots and tell him "What the heck...Fix it!!".
Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Sometimes moisture gets between the wax and the paint, and shows up as hazy spots...
Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been living with this the last few years , first with my covered 996 and now in evidence on my 993.
It only seems to haze on the wax layer (I detail with zymol ) , so I put up with the hazing until I remove the zymol layer with that HD clense stuff . This always completely clears the haze effect.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Brian F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur that it there is likely moisture that has become trapped below the surface. I would check with an experienced detailer, but I see it here at the dealership occasionally and our detailer gets it out using a buffer with the theory that the moderate heat generated removes it. Don't try this at home kids; you must be a master of the buffer.

Brian
Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would let paint soak in sun. Seems surface related. But is unusual, if cover breaths. Perhaps it rained and some moisture got in and it dried on surface of paint.

Quick Reply: Haze spots after car was covered?