Sponsored by:

9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: Bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
Dude, you are trippin. They should paint it blue and put it in "the blue 993 thread" or chop the top and put it in "the 993 cab thread".
I knew that would get you to come out and play.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd vote for Kermit Green or whatever that GT3RS green is called.

You guys DEFINITELY have all the best toys.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,185 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Colin, I dream of building a car like that. What a truly fantastic project.

Can you provide further feedback on the KW clubsports? how do they compare to the Moton and JRZ clubsports?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

This will be the first of our 993RS's to have the Clubsport KW package so I cannot really give a firm opinion, however the word up from the KW Engineer is that the usual Variant 3 kit is great for road with occasional track, the Clubsport is track with occasional road and the Motorsport that I use is definitely track 'cause you would be mad to drive it on the road.

(I drive mine on the road of course.)

Back on the plot for a moment: this build is a re-shell of a genuine RHD 993RS CS so as far as we (& customer) are concerned it is as 100% RS as any factory re-shell.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Back on the plot for a moment: this build is a re-shell of a genuine RHD 993RS CS so as far as we (& customer) are concerned it is as 100% RS as any factory re-shell.
It looks great 9M, fantastic workmanship.......but with respect, as long as you and customer feel the car is 100% RS that is fine,,,I very much doubt, the market place will view a rhd widebody RS conversion in quite the same way as a factory re-shell, even if a genuine RS narrow bodied shell were available.

Having said that the customer is getting a very special and unique car that should give a lot of fun in the years going forward.

One thing that often suprises me with these 993 matter cages in rhd cars,,,does the roof diagonal bar go over the passenger or rhd driver?

Look forward to further updates.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As you say, in my opinion it is unfortunate that a large sector of the UK Porsche market seems to be entirely transfixed by the perceived investment value of their cars, particularly when it comes to RS models and ultimately we will probably get to the stage where RS owners are afraid to use their cars as Porsche intended for fear of devaluing them. As you know, I'm definitely not in this camp and as a result have absolutely no fear of devaluing my RS CS by using it in competition, even though it's apparently "worth" 3 times the price I paid for it. With respct to this or any other 9mRS, our customers simply want a "new" RS, built to their specification, so that they can use it as they see fit irrespective of some notion of future value, so we are obviously not serving the "traditional" UK aircooled RS buyer.

As far as the Matter weld in rollcages are concerned, the LHD and RHD versions of the CS cage are mirror imaged with respect to roof brace and rear diagonals.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So, the next stage of the job was to paint the interior, floor, engine bay and boot - I guess that the pictures speak for themselves:
Attached Images      
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's the next stage of the shell paint routine. Miles has finished the floor and interior and de-masked the car on the spit. Next he paints the outer panels with the car lowered onto axle stands and fully masked to the floor. This traps any dust inside the shell as well as keeping overspray off the fresh paint.
Attached Images     
Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 397 Posts

Great stuff! keep it coming,

even more detail when you get to the motor
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

DROOL!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On with the final colour: a single application of Basalt Black metallic basecoat followed by two coats of high solids clear laquer.
Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Naturally there are other parts to paint in addition to the shell. The doors and petrol flap were prepared for painting at the same time as the bodyshell, but there is not enough room in the booth to hang up the arches, mirrors and lid hinges, so these were painted in another batch. Unfortunately when Miles painted these the carbon-kevlar bonnet and engine lid had not arrived, so these will have to be done later along with the front & rear bumpers, front splitter, rear spoiler & spoiler blade (RS Clubsport version).

The doors had to be lightweight for this car, so rather than fit aluminium GT2 doors we had lighter ones moulded in carbon-kevlar. Even though we are going to fit RS door cards when they are on the car, iwe also wanted to show off the carbon-kevlar weave inside the door which is why you can see a masking paper layer covering the inside of the door whilst it is being painted. This is an absolute pain to do properly, but it has to be done to keep the inside paint free - however you could argue that you will also save weight if the inside is unpainted....
Attached Images      
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The final stage is to dry flat, clean and polish the exterior panels with compound before de-masking. Unfortunately Miles (seen here in the white paint overalls) beat the camera, so these last photos are after the job has been finished and we caught him removing the last traces of masking tape. Our senior technician Robin sneaked in on the act in the last two pictures.

Whilst it is being assembed the shell will stay on the trolley until the complete running gear is fitted so we can move it around the shop. At the moment we are working on the interior and wiring first whilst the chassis parts are being prepared, however we could not resist fitting the GT2 arches and doors in the meantime ....
Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Slightly off topic but I'm bound to be asked:

The pastel blue 911 in the adjacent bay is a completely standard 1971 LHD 911 2.2T that we are restoring for another customer, apparently was one of three 1971 911's painted this colour and may be the only remaining example.

The car was built sold new in the US , at some time in its life it was colour changed to gold and shipped across to the UK, it arrived at our door in 2004 looking quite good until we stripped it and found the bottom 6" of the shell rotten. We managed to source a perfect LHD floorpan and graft it in along with new inner and outer sills, and have since done a similar paint job as the 9mRS above apart from the E-coating of the shell. At the time this shell was completed we did not know of the dipping process so we had this shell blasted instead, however the blaster managed to ripple practically every panel so it has taken an age to get everything right before painting.

The car is now being assembled alongside the 9mRS, I'll sneak a shot of this in the thread if anyone is interested.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course we are all interested in the light blue!....

You should just start the "Projects at 9m" thread. I'd check in everyday!

Quick Reply: 9m93RS Clubsport GT2 look: Bodywork