993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: MCoupe addition...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDavid
Great little car... I have an '00 MRoadster with a similar set up... they are truly awesome little cars. I know people talk about the rear suspension as being from the E30... but that is quoted just because the magazines quoted it... in real life, real world scenarios, (even track) I don't think it is an issue at all... certainly not any more of an "issue" than leaf springs on a Z06.
Yup, I don't think it's as much an "issue" as people make it out to be. Yes, the suspension shares the same basic architecture as the e30 rear end, but the trailing arms are reinforced in several places (compared to an e30 M3), specifically to minimize dynamic camber changes. Also, there are some good aftermarket kits that allow proper/expanded toe and camber adjustments - important if these cars are lowered and driven with high loads (sticky tires, track use).
Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought those cars would make great track cars. Congrats.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDavid
Great little car... I have an '00 MRoadster with a similar set up... they are truly awesome little cars. I know people talk about the rear suspension as being from the E30... but that is quoted just because the magazines quoted it... in real life, real world scenarios, (even track) I don't think it is an issue at all... certainly not any more of an "issue" than leaf springs on a Z06.
First off E30's handle AWESOME! Yes, the E36/7 rear suspension is directly from the E30, in fact, some of the higher power E30's you put in the reinforced E36/7 rear trailing arms. On my old E30 M3, I had a couple of reinforcements welded in like the ones from the E36/7

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Thx Stealth - it's got monoballs.
FUN! That will cause a bunch of creaks & cracks.

FWIW, I owned a E30 M3 for 11 years, & had 2001 M roadster at my house for a few years.

Quick Reply: OT: MCoupe addition...