Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sportech in Puerto Rico, criminal activity, beware!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sportech in Puerto Rico, criminal activity, beware!

My company, Acceleronics, made two separate COD shipments to Sportech (aka Euro-car) in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, totaling more than $1000. Carlos Nin, the guy who ordered the parts, stopped payment on both checks about a week after they were deposited. He does not answer or return my daily phone calls or emails. I've reported the fraud to my cousin the FBI agent, but I'm guessing the loss is too small to warrant their attention.

A Google search turned up a couple of 993 guys on the Pelican board who had been screwed by Carlos, but a search here turned up a guy singing his praises. Caveat emptor!

If anyone here lives in PR, or knows someone who does, I'd like to find out if Sportech's address is a real location. The address on the checks is:
752 Calle La Paz
Arecibo, PR 00612

Jeff

Last edited by MidnighTT; 07-26-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Sportech belongs to Sonny1 on Rennlist, or he works there or something. I don't know whether he has anything to do with it or not, but this is his email address:

sportech@xsn.net

I am sure he will answer your PM or this post.

In case you did not notice, the signature is not the same on both checks.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
Sportech belongs to Sonny1 on Rennlist, or he works there or something. I don't know whether he has anything to do with it or not, but this is his email address:

sportech@xsn.net
Thanks for the lead! I got that same sportech@xsn.net email address from Carlos, but every email I send bounces back. The two phone numbers on the checks were disconnected last time I tried them.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Jeff contact Sonny via PM.

If you are still unable to reach "Carlos", PM me, I will let you know who your brother should contact there to resolve this in no time.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:45 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Apparently my posts here and on the Pelican board caught Carlos' attention. He called this afternoon to say that he'd return some of the parts and send a money order for the rest. If that happens, I'll let everyone know that he came through. If it doesn't, I'll expand my warnings to every Porsche board I can find. I've found him on a few Spanish language boards so far.

Thanks for your help, Jean. I'll be in touch if need be.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 AM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Apparently my posts here and on the Pelican board caught Carlos' attention. He called this afternoon to say that he'd return some of the parts and send a money order for the rest. If that happens, I'll let everyone know that he came through. If it doesn't, I'll expand my warnings to every Porsche board I can find. I've found him on a few Spanish language boards so far.

Thanks for your help, Jean. I'll be in touch if need be.

Jeff
Hmm, good luck with that! I hope it all works out in your favour.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 AM
NightFlyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was screwed over by Sonny also. I sold him the rollbar off of my car and I made the mistake of shipping it to him before I received payment. I was too trusting I guess. I never received payment from him even though he said he sent it several different times.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

There was a Ruf for sale on eBay a few months ago. Some here said that it was him.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Nobody I know would make any type of business with that guy... f* crook!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Update: Carlos called with a valid Discover card to pay for the parts he's keeping, and today the US mail delivered the parts he said he'd return. If the credit card charges don't get reversed, he's made good on the whole deal.

I'll post another update in a week or so, or sooner if the card payment bounces.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
I was screwed over by Sonny also. I sold him the rollbar off of my car and I made the mistake of shipping it to him before I received payment. I was too trusting I guess. I never received payment from him even though he said he sent it several different times.
Wow! Sorry to hear that.

Andreas
Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

There is a very long thread on Pelican about Carlos that makes instructive reading.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
There is a very long thread on Pelican about Carlos that makes instructive reading.
I banned him from Pelican (I'm an admin there). He is a major crook. No offense to anyone, but it always amazes me that people send thousands of dollars to people in what is effectively a foreign country, without any knowledge of that person's reputation. In this situation you have NO RECOURSE. Getting your parts depends entirely on the seller's good will and moral character. This guy Carlos should spend the rest of his life in jail, IMHO, for what he's done.

Quick Reply: Sportech in Puerto Rico, criminal activity, beware!