Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
JakeS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a 993 ?

..x-posted from 911-forum.

Hey rear-engined folks,

I am looking to relocate permanently latest at the end of the year to the US. I've been here on assignment but now it seems that when I return to US in sept/oct it's for good.

So, this brings us to the topic ; I am selling my good ol' 944 S2 in Finland (someone's going to get a GOOD deal out of it ) and will purchase a 993 here in states. I live in Texas so closer the better but I don't mind a trip to look elsewhere...

I see the price range of a 993 being $25..$60, depending on the model. What would be the important things to look for like
a)how long does the clutch last
b)how long does the engine last (like 100k 200k or ?)
c)what are the most desired options
d)which model is the best to go for (I'm looking at a keeper, not something I'll sell tomorrow). The ultimate might be C4S but I don't think I need 4wd in Dallas? Turbo.. maybe
e)What's the avereage cost-of-living with 993 ? I have owned my S2 for some time and it is something like $1,5k for maintenance and $2k-> for mods per year.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me be the first to say congrats on moving up to a great car. Please look at all the Victory Motors threads before looking at their inventory.

I would tell you Books and Records along with a good unbiased PrePurchase Inspection are a priority.

I will let the others who have a better idea on engine life and clutch life weigh in.

But you should look for an Arena Red Porsche as the most senior Techs assembled the car.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Tons and tons of threads in the archives. Good luck and happy reading.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
But you should look for an Arena Red Porsche as the most senior Techs assembled the car.
Agreed!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

The advice that I can give is to be patient with the search and drive as many as possible...and dont get pressured by dealers

Good luck
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Jarko,

While you are in the big D try to PM PJCONNOR and talk with him-you buy the lunch. I am sure he can answer all of your questions. If the car has been taken care of the engines are bulletproof-clutches depend on the drover but should be north of 60K. As to the type and color that is strictly personnal choice. You have the price range nailed but a little more such as starting at 30 will get a better car usually-but get a PPI.

I do hope the S2 is a keeper-I love that car!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 191 Posts

Jarko,

First, welcome to Dallas! I've lived here my whole life. Second, is it too stereotypical to ask if you're into hockey? I'm a huge hockey fan!

Now back to your original question. I would agree with others in that you can learn more than you'll ever need by searching RL. I would also agree with the suggestion to contact Patrick Connor. There is a good group of 993 guys here in Dallas. I'm sure several of us would be happy to get together to discuss. Also, the guys at RUF are very helpful and can locate a car too.

As far as maintenance is concerned, mine has been maintenance free but it's not my daily driver.

I wouldn't go for awd unless you go for the Turbo....it's just extra weight in the C4S and you certainly don't need awd in Dallas. Let us know if you want to get together.

Good luck
Old 07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I'd try to get one with a top end which has been done by a reputable shop (with documentation). This is a very expensive job that more of these cars will need, or should already have.

Sounds like you intend to keep it for a long while. Might be worth investing in an S or 4S because values might hold up a little more over time.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
JakeS2
Racer

Hi guys,
Right, it seems my mobile system failed to deliver my message, let's see..

First of all, thank you!! and esp.the warm welcome by the lone star porschepeople.

I haven't been at RUF yet, but I have met Hans on track days so that connection is there. I am sure Hans would be able to source a car for me, but I also might enjoy the adventure to drive different cars myself and when the right one is found ; go for it.

I have already bought some 993 related reading but as with my S2 I saw that reading is one thing and talking to people who drive them is totally another. You cannot beat the competence people have gained over years so some of you might be in for a lunch'n'talk.

..and yes, being a Finn I am a hockey fan ; let's go Stars!

Quick Reply: What to look for in a 993 ?