993 Forum 1995-1998

Justice

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think you took the high road here by letting him off (fwiw!!)

Heard a similar story from a guy I know and a house he owned and rented. Current tennant stopped paying rent after being really (and I mean REALLY) difficult beforehand. Finally got them evicted - lots of expense in repairing the house blah blah. Fast forward 5 years and the guy I know is the Director of a dept at work and bumps into his 'old' tenant - its the ex-tenant's first day working in THAT Director's dept.

Short story - they put him on notice and shipped his @ss out in 30 days or whatever - he only actually worked a day there. Thats Karma, my friend...life's a bitch...what goes around....justice...whatever - boom, its over.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surj-993C2S
I dont think you took the high road here by letting him off (fwiw!!)

Heard a similar story from a guy I know and a house he owned and rented. Current tennant stopped paying rent after being really (and I mean REALLY) difficult beforehand. Finally got them evicted - lots of expense in repairing the house blah blah. Fast forward 5 years and the guy I know is the Director of a dept at work and bumps into his 'old' tenant - its the ex-tenant's first day working in THAT Director's dept.

Short story - they put him on notice and shipped his @ss out in 30 days or whatever - he only actually worked a day there. Thats Karma, my friend...life's a bitch...what goes around....justice...whatever - boom, its over.
Hallelujah to that! You get what you give in this world. And sometimes, we have to take a few moments out of our precious, productive, money making time, to set things straight and serve up a little justice and balance it out.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW what goes around comes around.
Make it judgement day for him.
The guys a scumbag and deserves to pay somehow.
Think about what they were saying about you, the owner of the car before he put his boot in.
Letting it go is very mature and applaudable, but come on....the ***** kicked your door in.
You have one chance of sweet revenge.
I say take it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Many many years ago I worked at IBM in Vancouver, Canada. As a brown nosing junior I volunteered to drive my manager to pick up his car after its service. On the way there I was cut off by someone and started to lay on the honk and gave him the bird.

Well my manager torn a strip off my back. He said that that person that you gave the bird to may very well be the owner or manager on my next sales pitch.

To this day (20 years later) I am still reminded of that everytime I want to honk someone in rush hour traffic.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update on this fantastic story?

If it were me in this situation, I'd have a number of people interview the guy - give him the best interview ever. The person before me would nearly offer him the job, a huge salary and incentive. Just say, "the next guy just has to sign off, and it is yours." I'd be in my office with my back to him. Reading the CV. I'd turn around, but bury my head so he couldn't see me. Ask him about his hobbies. "Do you like cars?" "What do you think about Porsches?" Then look up, and calmly say, "This is not your lucky day." And show him the door, and say nothing more.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rennlisters seem to be big on retribution and vindictiveness.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlisters seem to be big on retribution and vindictiveness.
Rarely is it due. . . but in this case it was !
Old 07-22-2008, 03:04 AM
TargaTango
Racer

I have come late to this thread. What a bloody beauty! I cannot help but think that payment for a bad deed is too easy and does not put things right for the perp. It would have been a good lesson for the s***t head to know that there are consequences for each and every action and in this case one of them is no chance for a good job. And to have kicked one of man's best friends and such a beautiful P at that!!! Now that is a crime.

What really saddens me is why do some people act as such a-holes. In my first job at a then big 6 accounting practice one of the guys I worked with and who had lived a privileged life being born into an upper middle class family and had gone to an expensive private school and a good university, recounted with delight and humour how one of the buddies he accompanied to a public New Year celebration in Sydney went up to a horse with a policeman on its back and punched it in the head. And this from educated suits. I never wanted to talk to that jerk with those soughts of values again. I think that sometimes some people have to be brought low (eg a criminal prosecution) to motivate them sufficiently to review their behaviour. Just my humble thoughts....

All the best,
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 AM
allffy
Advanced

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating you all but I was in meetings yesterday and my internet at home is playing up.
Yesterday morning I went to the cop shop to report the incedent, the cop on duty seemed sound, he came out an took a look at my car. His first question was did I give him a slap? I said no, he said I should of. He said there is not much he can do, he can interview the guy to get his side of the story but after that there is not much else. He said he would follow up.

I called the guy before lunch and firstly introduced myself as the guy who's car he damaged, he instantly started saying sorry and if there is more damage he would pay. He said it was a "dare" and he deeply regrets what he did etc etc etc. When I told him that he also had an interview with me after lunch the phone went silent, I gave him the option of coming in (boss reckoned it was the best option) for the interview but he declined. He even said that if I want I can come around and damage his car, but I declined.
(The agency me called to confirm and I explained what happeded and that as one of their biggest clients we are concerned about the type of candidates they are sending us)

Looking at it now the guy lost €300, lost a great opportunity to further his career and bank balance, will have the cops dropping in to see him all because he is a ar*ehole. If he dosnt learn something from that, an awkward interview wont teach him much.

I know better than anyone what he did was sooo sad and he is a pr*ck that deserves what he gets but there is a line and once you cross it it can get messy.

Thank you all for your comments and yes I have a great story and some great suggestions that I can recite over a few beers.

My brother agrees with most of you and is not talking to me anymore, he said that if I ever need a kidney not to call him.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I think you did the right thing. Damage or not, ultimately youre dealing with another human being and any retribution needs to be proportionate. Guy's obviously an a**hole, but as far as I know there's no cure for that.

You can have my kidney if you need it, this is Rennlist after all, but I'm sure your bother will get over it. I have four and most of them are not speaking to me at one point or another.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

You did the right thing, and hey, I'll even throw in a kidney
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update! I will also throw in a kidney... I have 2 (I think) and from what I've been told, I only NEED 1.

You certainly took the high road on this. Kudos!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 the higher road is usually the better way to go. Believe me, your point hit home with this jacka$$.

Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Well played - you got to tell him exactly what he did, he still got that great kick-in-the-gut feeling and may have needed a change of pants. It'd have been nice to see his face but all in all better this way, especially that he himself chose not to interview.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Living well is the best revenge. Thanks for the update... and well played sir.

Quick Reply: Justice