Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help Needed: Sunfroof won't close and it looks like it's going to rain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed: Sunfroof won't close and it looks like it's going to rain.

Hi everyone,

For the last couple of weeks my sunroof has worked only when it wants to. In other words, I would open the sunroof and when I went to close it, sometimes it would close (perfectly) other times, nothing.

Well, the wife and I just came back from a long drive, dinner, etc. etc. When I pulled into the driveway, the sunroof decided it didn't want to close. I know the fuse isn't the issue because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Any thoughts?

My problem is I'm up at my place in Maine and I have no garage here. Weather is 40% chance of rain. I know I can close it manually, but trying to avoid that at all costs.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this and if so, what the issue is.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
lumpy
Racer

This happened to me up in VT a month ago. I shut the car down and restarted after checking the fuse...while sitting in the car I banged on the roof at the back of the sunroof and then it worked. Beats having to do it manually. I'm sorry it is not very scientific but it has worked ever since.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I think you can wind it shut manually with the hand crank in your tool kit. Check the manual first, in other words, dont trust my bad memory
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I think you can wind it shut manually with the hand crank in your tool kit. Check the manual first, in other words, dont trust my bad memory
Thanks Chris,

You definitely can do that, but i"m trying to avoid. Also trying to figure out what the issue might be.

Anyone know if there is a relay at the switch that I might need to replace? No noise from the motor. when it does work, it works perfect. Never an issue opening, only closing.

John
Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lumpy
This happened to me up in VT a month ago. I shut the car down and restarted after checking the fuse...while sitting in the car I banged on the roof at the back of the sunroof and then it worked. Beats having to do it manually. I'm sorry it is not very scientific but it has worked ever since.
Lumpy,

The "Fonzy" method. I'll give it a try. Is that your car as your avatar? is that Metallic Green or Black?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Lumpy,

the "FONZY" method worked. I had tried restarting the car a number of times to no avail. This time, I started, tried (didn't work.) Shut it down, restarted, gave it a couple of good hard whacks around the mechanism and presto. Sunroof is closed!!!

Question, anyone have any idea what the root cause is? Would like to fix/reconcile if I can.

Thanks,

John
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM
lumpy
Racer

John,

Glad the "Fonzy" method worked. Interestingly, the manual states not to drive over 62mph with the sunroof open because this may damage the sunroof mechanism and/or headliner. While heading up to Stowe, I was driving above 62mph for an extended time with the sunroof open...oops but it was fun. Thats all I know. Yes thats my car and mug in the avatar...black cuz they are the fastest!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
the "FONZY" method worked. I had tried restarting the car a number of times to no avail. This time, I started, tried (didn't work.) Shut it down, restarted, gave it a couple of good hard whacks around the mechanism and presto. Sunroof is closed!!!

Question, anyone have any idea what the root cause is? Would like to fix/reconcile if I can.
A couple of educated (?) guesses:
Loose or dirty electrical connector --One of the root causes of many electrical "gremlins". Unplug & replug a few times or scrape the connector pins/contacts gently to remove oxidation on the contact.

Stuck electric motor---I've seen motors stop in a position where they don't want to restart...

I'd vote for #1 most likely. Getting to the motor & bits isn't hard....one zipper and a screwdriver....5 minutes.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
A couple of educated (?) guesses:
Loose or dirty electrical connector --One of the root causes of many electrical "gremlins". Unplug & replug a few times or scrape the connector pins/contacts gently to remove oxidation on the contact.
Yep, try that one! Just unzip the headliner and you will see the plug. Clean the contacts and put it back together snugly. That solved my problem which was exactly as you describe.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. Going out with screwdriver in hand right now.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WHY would you open the sunroof when you know that it sometimes doesn't shut, it might rain, and you have no garage???:
Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bill930p
WHY would you open the sunroof when you know that it sometimes doesn't shut, it might rain, and you have no garage???:
As I'm not a weather man, and it was 80 degrees and sunny when I left my house, I kind of felt I was safe.

But thanks for the constructive input.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interestingly, the manual states not to drive over 62mph with the sunroof open because this may damage the sunroof mechanism and/or headliner.
Just to clarify ... the manual says not to operate the sunroof over 62mph. Driving faster than 62mph with it open is OK.

- Dave
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davesnothere
Just to clarify ... the manual says not to operate the sunroof over 62mph. Driving faster than 62mph with it open is OK.

- Dave
Good clarification. I was just sitting here thinking "Damn, I've been driving around with the sunroof open doing 80+ all this time. Wonder what I screwed up!"
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify ... the manual says not to operate the sunroof over 62mph.
Yup I've seen this with other cars as well and I think it's because at speed you can get a pressure differential as it closes that will pop the sunroof off it's track. If you just open the windows before you operate the sunroof you should be OK.

Quick Reply: Help Needed: Sunfroof won't close and it looks like it's going to rain.