Installed a modified plenum for 12hp increase on N/A 993 today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
mrsullivan,

I think, on the Rennlist forums, you would be in the distinct minority if someone made horsepower claims that they could not be backed up.

Oh, wait, that's right; according to some here, there's no Rennlist honor. Uh, yeah, right.
Maybe "Rennlist honor" is about carrying on a legitimate discussion or debate, etc... without having to be an a**hole about it... I would like to believe that is more what Rennlist is about. I certainly didnt detect any boastfulness or intention to deceive in the original post. Do I believe it? Actually, no, probably not... but I just dont see the need to berate the new guy because he is perhaps mistaken about what a wrench did to his car...innocently not knowing any better.

We will have to agree to disagree on the topic of what "Rennlist honor" is all about...

Last edited by mrsullivan; 06-30-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This sounds suspiciously like complete bull****, a scam.

Otherwise there'd be no need for secrecy. I hope nobody falls for this money-making scheme.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

So, that means...
New fabspeed mufflers at +14hp,
Chip at +12
Drilled airbox .05 hp
and this mod at +12, that totals 38.5 hp.
For this to work the engine tray has to be removed?

Sweet, sign me up.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
This sounds suspiciously like complete bull****, a scam.

Otherwise there'd be no need for secrecy. I hope nobody falls for this money-making scheme.
Good bait for a meaningless debate. If it is what it is then post the data: Who, what, when, where and how. We're all adults here, lets act that way. I don't get it. I just won the lottery, but I cant tell you where or for how much but I feel wealthy now....

Old 06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, let me put it this way: The 993 has been on the road since 1994. Today we are in 2008. That's 14 years in which experimentation, research, and development have taken place. People who drive Porsches love to do mods, and typically have the kind of disposable income that allows them to pay for them.

So today we know a few things about 993 engines, and by "we know" I mean "the following has been repeatedly proven on a dyno":

- a chip works great on the '95s.
- a chip gives minor gains on the varioram cars, but for all intents and purposes can't be fitted to U.S. '96 cars.
- headers don't do anything.
- cat bypasses and sport mufflers *might* make a few more HP/TQ, although many tests show no change or even power losses.
- air filters don't do anything.
- damn I wish we could get those new heads that are made in the UK without our bank accounts being emptied because of the exchange rate.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that there isn't a whole lot that hasn't been tried. 993's are not, at this point, fertile ground for new discoveries. Power-increasing mods do not happen by accident; tuners in the U.S. and UK have spent many thousands of dollars and man-hours on R&D for this kind of stuff, and what's available on the market is well-publicized.

As far as plenums go, the plenum is the chamber in an engine's intake which air passes through after it travels through the throttle body and before it is separated by each of the intake runners. The plenum cannot be tinkered with, unless a new design is created; on a 1995 993, the plenum is made of a single plastic molding. I'd be very curious to know what this mysterious mechanic did to the "plenum."

Here is part of a Ferrari F430 intake plenum, illustrated to show air pressures:

Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there we go.... now we are back on track... nice
Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Maybe "Rennlist honor" is about carrying on a legitimate discussion or debate, etc... without having to be an a**hole about it... I would like to believe that is more what Rennlist is about. I certainly didnt detect any boastfulness or intention to deceive in the original post. Do I believe it? Actually, no, probably not... but I just dont see the need to berate the new guy because he is perhaps mistaken about what a wrench did to their car...

We will have to agree to disagree on the topic of what "Rennlist honor" is all about...
I'm not saying the OP is trying to deceive, but this is not a "Hey, what do you guys think?" post where a dialogue is opened up, but more of a "Hey, this thing gave me a 12hp increase. PM me if you're interested" post. That is the difference. Personally, I don't think anyone is being overly rude just because they're questioning the claim or calling bullsh*t. I've seen this board be far ruder, myself included, and you, too, mrsullivan. I believe it was you said to the Rennlister (who questioned the Porsche logo that Darin Fister put in his shop) by writing something to the effect of "Who cares? No one cares what you think".

Yes . . . I fully admit that this is a rude post.

Originally Posted by 1irondog
Just came back from my wrench who installed a modified plenum for my 993! Estimated hp gain to be 12, he said it would take 40 to 50 miles for the computer to make fuel adjustments. On the ride back i felt a signifecant amount of pull in the higher RPM's !If any one is intrested in such a mod pm me for info.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few guys on the 996 board did before and after dynos and the plenium did produce some HP. As I recall the big numbers (10+hp) only happened through a very narrow RPM range when the cams were shifting. I don't think anyone ever figured out why. For most of the RPM range it only produced a couple of HP. This is from memory. You can search on the 996 board for more info.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

I will look into getting my car on a dyno and post the results after I get back from vacation!
Irrelevant if the car wasn't dyno'ed immediately BEFORE the mod.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Good bait for a meaningless debate. If it is what it is then post the data: Who, what, when, where and how. We're all adults here, lets act that way. I don't get it. I just won the lottery, but I cant tell you where or for how much but I feel wealthy now....
I'm not baiting for any debate. I'm saying "Show me the hp." In the meantime, I call bull****. That's not an insult to the OP, he just probably doesn't know the reality since he hasn't done the before and after dyno pulls yet.

I've tested enough with our intakes to know that 15 hp will be VERY hard to come by.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Irrelevant if the car wasn't dyno'ed immediately BEFORE the mod.
+1e6. Need both a before and after to have any value.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another basic rule of life - This mod needs to pass the sunshine test or it is just more BS....no more secrets
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

This reminds me of another poster a few years back that came here and started giving out vague information about some go fast parts he was developing for the 993. He indicated that they were only design concepts and not intended for sale but he got a lot of folks spun up about them even though nobody really knew what they were. I never did figure out what parts he was talking about as the details were that sketchy. He had people PM him for the info. Seemed that he was really skirting the Rennlist Sponsor rules which prompted John D to lock the thread and start a sticky about selling products without being a sponsor. Anyway, I forget the posters name but I am sure that some of the older members will remember.

Does anyone know what he was really developing? Did that product ever take off? Or is this it reincarnated?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

............. I must add that I do have an automotion chip and DACH X bypass pipe so Im sure all of these factors come into play.....................
Ah, multiple modifications with no before and after dyno pulls. A dyno run now won't tell you anything except the hp being put out at this point. It won't tell you the impact of the individual mods, nor the impact of the combination of mods taken together.

I'm reminded of a well know vendor's website (who's products I like), where specific hp claims are made for specific products like mufflers. In the small print there is a statement about the claim being measured when all intake and exhaust products offered by the vendor are used together.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Give the guy a break. Here is a plenimum that I build.
Attached Images  

Last edited by autosea; 06-30-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed a modified plenum for 12hp increase on N/A 993 today