Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Upcoming trip to the US - What to buy (Wear and tear items)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming trip to the US - What to buy (Wear and tear items)

Hi all!

On July 12th I'm starting a 3 week vacation in the US with my GF. We will spend time in Philly, NY and Toronto. At my friends place in West Chester, PA I already have my newly bought DACH 200cell Cat X-pipes lying on the living room floor taking up space . Furthermore I have a set of OEM wide ovals and some other stuff.

Now to my question. With the exchange rate being in favour of us europeans, what are some of the more expensive and/or good to have "wear and tear items" that would be good to buy when I'm in the US. I don't have a car yet so I'm talking common 993 items here.

A must on my list are the Walrod control arm bushings. I will order those for sure. Should I order a set for the rear as well or just for the fronts?

The typical mirror seals, window seals etc are not that expensive AFAIK, so maybe it's not worth purchasing those.. DME relay? What else? Any ideas?

It's probably best to order on-line via Sunset or Suncoast and then have them ship the stuff to West Chester. Then everything is there when I arrive.

TIA
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How are your rotors, calipers, pads, all that?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

he doesn't have a car yet.
how about buying a car while in US?
check the canadian region section we do a gtg every saturday morning.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any details on the car you're buying? Like how many miles or what the PO says he's replaced? Then it would be down to how much $$ you want to spend. Could be a good time for you to do some upgrades....

Dave
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non car items too, buy a digital camera here
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Good advice guys, thx. Non car items are covered: Clothes, Camera, iphone, New laptop, sunglasses, shoes etc etc.. I don't have a car yet. I planned on scanning the market for cars before I leave, should something interesting show up.

There was a blue turquoise C2S on Craigslist a while back. That car was discussed in a recent thread but the inital posting has expired. Has anyone seen this car advertized elsewhere? Very tempting if someone can track it down and it's still available!

Any info on the control arm bushings? Should I buy two a set of bushings for the rear as well?

Do you just replace the bushings or do you often the replace the control arm too? If yes, then maybe I should buy that from the Sunset..
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Any info on the control arm bushings? Should I buy two a set of bushings for the rear as well?

Do you just replace the bushings or do you often the replace the control arm too? If yes, then maybe I should buy that from the Sunset..
You may as well do all that.
I recently replaced the following on my car:
- the front A-arm bushing (with polyurethane bushings)
- the rear lower control arms (with stock items)
- the tie-rods (with 993 GT2 tie rods )
The car feels much tighter and the steering is much sharper with more road feed-back
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Thanks Arnaud. Is there at typical mileage at which the items you mentioned "should" be replaced? I guess it will depend very much on how the car was driven, alignment etc etc but just a ballpark mileage figure? Also, if I may ask, how much was the total worth of parts excl. labour? TIA
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

"Philly, NY and Toronto"
Bass Pro Shops is running a special on 185gr JHP .40 cal, 200 rounds for like $16 or something.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Thanks Arnaud. Is there at typical mileage at which the items you mentioned "should" be replaced? I guess it will depend very much on how the car was driven, alignment etc etc but just a ballpark mileage figure? Also, if I may ask, how much was the total worth of parts excl. labour? TIA
Mine were replaced at 69K miles. Parts total was $875.00, labour was $750.00 (replacing the A-arm bushing took 4 hours all-in) + full alignment for $295.00.
I probably could have lived with the old parts for longer, but considering that I am tracking the car, I do not want to take a chance.
NB: I hope that you will stop by our weekly Get Together in Toronto when you are in town.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In no particular order: fuel pump, DME relay, plug wires, plugs, O2 sensors, dist cap and rotor, Durametric SW and cable, brake pads, LWF and clutch, fan belts
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 AM
tfm
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Viggo,
With the exchange rate being what it is I would guess buying a car here and shipping it to Sweden for less than a $1000 USD would be a smart move no matter how you look at it. Philly and New York are excellent places to source a 993; in fact, you could probably buy a very desirable car retail at Holt in West Chester and still come out way ahead financially. Seems like a replacement suspension would be in order as well.
Good Luck with the trip.

Quick Reply: Upcoming trip to the US - What to buy (Wear and tear items)