993 Forum 1995-1998

Help with Track Tires: Yoko A048 vs. MPS-PS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Track Tires: Yoko A048 vs. MPS-PS2

I have come to realize that my Pirelli P-Zero suck as track tires so I am looking at better dual use DE / street tire. I am avoiding a true Dot-R like the MPSC and hoosier's.

I am down to the Yoko Advan A048 and the MPS-PS2. I have gotten over the initial shock of the price so I can move on.

I have a C4S so the PS2's don't come in the OE size, so I would have to run 225's /295's which it sounds like it's not really a problem. There is some debate with an AWD drive car and running 235's in the front. The cost is the other issue.

For the Yoko A048's they do come in my OE size. I hear they are loud compared to others. Not really a big deal to me, I am well past a comfortable car.

To me it seems the PS2 is more of a true mixed use tire with the A048's more of a sticky track tire.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Jim,

Just MHO - but both the PS2 and the A048 are NOT track tyres....
Sticky road tyres = yes, but tracktyres = No.

Radials (both PS2 and AO48) are not designed to run hot and their curve falls off as the tyre gets hotter as opposed to R-Spec which work similar to slicks.

Not knowing exactly what you are looking for - the best advice I can give is to buy a 2nd set of wheels and fit R-Specs to those and keep a set for the street. With a bit of practice you can change Wheels in about 10 mins start to finish.

best,

Simon.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I run the yoko's on my 993 turbo, and I like them- a lot more grip than the ps2...

they're a harder compound and even with a few heat cycles at the track they don't wear out at all on the road...I like them and would recommend them if you're looking for mixed use with long wear being a factor. I've never run them in the wet on the track- only on the freeway and stuff in the rain and haven't had any issues.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought PS2s for my C4S, but haven't mounted them yet. I went with 235/295. I looked into the AWD issue and compared overall diameter of the old 225/285 PS with the various sizes of PS2. I think (and hope) that 235/295 is the right combo of a 4S.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul902
I recently bought PS2s for my C4S, but haven't mounted them yet. I went with 235/295. I looked into the AWD issue and compared overall diameter of the old 225/285 PS with the various sizes of PS2. I think (and hope) that 235/295 is the right combo of a 4S.
I think the overall diameter is very close if you compare the two. The number 25 comes to mind as the diameter. I think the arguement with the 225 vs 235 is turn in. some people like the smaller tire for this. On the other side you have 235's pulling with an awd car. Still probably not a big deal.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Jim,

Just MHO - but both the PS2 and the A048 are NOT track tyres....
Sticky road tyres = yes, but tracktyres = No.

Radials (both PS2 and AO48) are not designed to run hot and their curve falls off as the tyre gets hotter as opposed to R-Spec which work similar to slicks.

Not knowing exactly what you are looking for - the best advice I can give is to buy a 2nd set of wheels and fit R-Specs to those and keep a set for the street. With a bit of practice you can change Wheels in about 10 mins start to finish.

best,

Simon.
I totally agree but there has to be a compromise for me. I really want something better then the P-zeros. If I really wanted to swap tires I would spend the $4k on a trailer. That is planned for next year. I really don't want to be swapping tires at the track.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I run the yoko's on my 993 turbo, and I like them- a lot more grip than the ps2...

they're a harder compound and even with a few heat cycles at the track they don't wear out at all on the road...I like them and would recommend them if you're looking for mixed use with long wear being a factor. I've never run them in the wet on the track- only on the freeway and stuff in the rain and haven't had any issues.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I probably won't be running them wet on the track, just wet on the street. I did notice they were marked hard compound, that helps with the decision too.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As many opinions as people I gues, but here's my 2c. On my 2wd 993, i haven't found a better tire then the PS2. I do use PSC for on the track but use the PS2 every now and then if I don't feel like swapping the tires. imho the ps2 is the only real dual compound tire for street use. Giving extraordinary grip cornering and maintaining low wear when driving highway.
H
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The A048 is an R compound tire whereas the PS2 is a street compound. If you are looking for a sticky R compound then I suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, the Toyo Ra1 or the newer R888. If you have separate track wheels then the Hoosier R6 or the BFG R1 kick ***. The drawback on the latter two is that you won't drive to the track on them. The Toyos have more grip than the yokes and can be driven to and from the track. The Michelin Cup are ok on the street unless it is raining. The A048 is noisy as heck and not as grippy as the others I mentioned.

Best,

Best,
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If looking for the best tire to use dual purpose and expect to have any kind of wet weather traction (just in case) I think the Michelin Sport Cup is the most competent. PS2's are good but won't grip as well when hot. Have you looked at the Yokohama AD07? It's a street tire, but dry hot grip is very close to that of the Sport Cup and better than the PS2. That may be the best tradeoff of road and track grip that you are looking for.

As for size, try to stay within 4% OD. 235/40 and 295/35 is 2.75%, so OK. Don't run a 225 with a 295, especially with AWD. 235/40 and 295/30 is a great combo and only 1.6% different.

Call me if I can help further. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
If looking for the best tire to use dual purpose and expect to have any kind of wet weather traction (just in case) I think the Michelin Sport Cup is the most competent. PS2's are good but won't grip as well when hot. Have you looked at the Yokohama AD07? It's a street tire, but dry hot grip is very close to that of the Sport Cup and better than the PS2. That may be the best tradeoff of road and track grip that you are looking for.

As for size, try to stay within 4% OD. 235/40 and 295/35 is 2.75%, so OK. Don't run a 225 with a 295, especially with AWD. 235/40 and 295/30 is a great combo and only 1.6% different.

Call me if I can help further. Thanks.
ahem...More options. I will give you a call Damon.

Quick Reply: Help with Track Tires: Yoko A048 vs. MPS-PS2