Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another successful DIY curb rash repair (long with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another successful DIY curb rash repair (long with pics)

I had one rear twist that was curb rashed along the very edge of the wheel. So a couple of weeks back, having read and learned from ppl experiences with DIY curb rash repair I took the plunge and tried it out. So here is my version of curb rash repair, lessons learned, and the magic color code! . Having said this, I would have never made it without my friend in the car painting business. Ok, here goes (pictures in respective order):

Products used (in order of importance): Carlsberg Sort guld 5.9%, 3M 400grit, 600grit paper, plastic padding "PP100" epoxy putty, Lesonal primer RTS, Lesonal clear (extra tough/hard perfect for wheels), custom blended "Toyota super silver" TOY166 color spray (2), sikkens thinner (3), some standard wheel cleaning products (13) and loads of 3M masking tape. I can dig out more info
on the exact Lesonal products if anyone wants, don't have them at hand right now.

This is the true winner (2). I was in a bit of a hurry going into this project so I didn't have time and didn't know where to source the Einzett Silber spray recommended by most here on RL. So I googled around a bit and read somewhere that an old MY94 Toyota silver was very close to the
Würth/Einzett silber. So I had this blended and checked it out. It was VERY close indeed and can be mixed by almost any local shop! See for yourselves..

Start by masking the outside of the wheel.(4) Make sure to really get the tape underneath the rim, pressed against the rubber. Sand the damaged areas (400 grit). Make sure to really keep the sanding to the specific areas of damage. I did a mistake here and accidentally touched the spokes while sanding resulting in me having to clear the whole wheel instead of just the outside edge. When done sanding, put putty on the damaged areas and let it sit for a while (5).

Sand again until you have a smooth surface.(6) If needed, do another round of putty and sand. Repeat process until very smooth, this time using 600 grit. Mask the inside of the wheel (6,7). We are half way there . Cover the whole wheelcentre (9).

Spray the damaged areas (and a little bit around them) using the primer (10). Let sit. Unmask the wheelcentre and sand the primer until a smooth surface is achieved (11). Unmask the whole wheel (12). Clean using thinner. Give the wheel a thorough clean (13,14,15,16). Make sure the wheel is DRY before
masking the outside of the wheel and the centercap (17). Mask the backside of the wheel (18). Mask the center of the wheel, cover the whole center (19,20). Scrath using an abrehesive cloth(?) like a scotch brite (rough side) to make sure the color sticks. Clean with thinner. Apply the silver color (21). Preferably in a dust free area. I applied the paint in 4 layers. Let dry for 5mins between layers. Unmask the center section but leave the centercap bit (22). Apply clear coat (23). Unmask, end result! (24).

This all in all took me like 3 hrs effectively. Lots of masking but then again, would have had to do it unless I went through the clear on the spokes while sanding the outside of the wheel.. Cost? Not much.. got the material pretty cheap. But I wouldn't want to do 4 wheels.. Hehe. Good luck

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
V
Rennlist Member

2nd batch

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Nuff
Racer

NICE job!!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I have 2 wheels I can send you
Great job!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well done.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Wow, kick ***!

I have some rash on my BMW wheels. I will have to give this a try; if I get the courage and patience. Thanks for the pics and directions.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job and attention to detail. Haven't heard of the Lesanol, where is this available and has the clear retained its gloss?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
I have 2 wheels I can send you
Great job!
Hehe, I knew that was coming .. Just bring the beer and I'll do it for you.. Oh and you have to pay the freight across the pond (for yourself and the wheels)

Originally Posted by prshguy
Nice job and attention to detail. Haven't heard of the Lesanol, where is this available and has the clear retained its gloss?
Lesonal is part of the Akzo Nobel group and their products should be available all over the world.. I have no affil with the company but I have a friend in the car painting industry and he uses this stuff so it has to be good . The gloss is still there for sure.. try www.lesonal.com
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very very nice. I'm sorry but this looks more like a 3-4 Carlsberg project.

Quick Reply: Another successful DIY curb rash repair (long with pics)