993 Forum 1995-1998

Wives ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
fortunately this girlfriend is a good one and understands the importance of my choice in that area.
Surely the first two were "Good ones" at the time?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 691 Likes on 384 Posts

Guilty as charged.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Black993
Drifting

Well, this thread makes me feel good!

I've been dating my current girlfriend for 5 years (yeah...i know...). Through those 5 years she has seen my love of cars grow substantially and has always supported it. Not once has she ever complained about something I've purchased for the car(s). She's always there at the autocrosses to support me (and she loves to ride when allowed) and I constantly drag her across the southeast to watch races. I think it would only be better if I could get her to actually DRIVE at the autocross.

The best part? She was the greatest proponent in getting the 993. I agonized for months over whether or not to actually buy one. I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to large financial decisions and she sat me down and said "just do it, you want it, you can afford it finally, its the exact car you want, just get it already!"

The ONLY thing she has given me a hard time about (and in a joking way, not mean) is that I should buy her a ring instead of a set of PSS10's. I guess after this long, and after reading this thread, she's probably right. Better do it before I miss the boat!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
I thought that was "If it has **** or wheels...rent it!"
No, you're confusing that with "if it floats, flys or fu*ks, you rent it"
Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been married for 21 years (I am 47) and the only sad thing is that in today's day and age that sounds like a lot.
We are a partnership. She knows I love cars. She likes them and understand my passion. When the Pcar opportunity came up, her point was "you only live once, if you want it and we can afford it, go for it". Yes, she is a keeper.
BTW, she does she does take the Cab out sometimes on her own although she is not in love with the Fabspeeed Supercups sounds
Ron
Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
I thought that was "If it has **** or wheels...rent it!"
Originally Posted by sdcabrio
No, you're confusing that with "if it floats, flys or fu*ks, you rent it"
Understood. Just paraphasing to suit the discussion.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heard it all and observed in my youth (mainly at the track). So when I did finally get married 10 years ago, at 35, I kinda had it all out of my system. Biggest "grief" I had lately was buying the Smart! It didn't even put a dent in the account I tapped to buy it, and I had to rather forcefully put my foot down. (This is from someone who pretty much would have let me scrounge up an '04 turbo cab last fall if I really, really wanted to spend that much.) Too funny last night when I'm with some of her co-workers (who have seen her in the C4S) that she now thinks it's kind of a cute car, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's women.......you never know from which direction you'll get blindsided!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

My wife knows what I'm passionate about and is supportive; and likewise from my end.....if you don't have that then its a ticking time bomb w/attorney's fees attached to it.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Better to be broke and happy than rich and miserable.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:57 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Better to be broke and happy than rich and miserable.

Better to be rich and happy then poor and miserable.

At 60 with kinda grown kids-depending on the day and topic-my wife and I have been married longer then my senile memory allows. It is give and take and knowing what is important to each other. The Porsches have never been an issue. With the 993 I got a tip so that she could drive it too, although she hardly has. With major purchases, and we aren't rich being one college prof and on not for profit administrator, it is a consensus decision, but she has yet to say no to any slippery slope items.

She's a keeper too

Al

Last edited by 993Maineiac; 04-26-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:10 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I was never happier than when I was dirt poor, had enough cash for a 6 pack and a pretty girl to drink it with.

Everything has been downhill from there.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In defense of my sex, men can be just as much of a pain as women. I've got a girlfriend whose husband keeps such tight reign over the family finances that she has to stash away money so she can occassionally have fun, go to dinner, buy a pair of shoes she really doesn't need, etc... She works and together they make good money... he's just incredibly cheap.

My ex-husband and I never fought over money or cars... as long as we met our savings and retirement goals, which we developed together, the rest was up for grabs. During the divorce, money was still never an issue...

I'd never marry anyone who didn't have a similar philosophy toward money and enjoyment.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok going to put in my .02 I am married and it is not perfect by any means. But one thing we don't do is take things away from each other like we would with our 3 year old. It's just childish to do that. I have my car and drive when I want to without having to worry about someone taking away my keys. For those of you that say this is ok.....i feel for you. Because granted you won't be going through a divorce...you also won't be going anywhere else because remember you are in "timeout"

Last edited by melman911; 04-26-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Surely the first two were "Good ones" at the time?
sure, they were 'good' ones in many ways, as was I...

until the first one decided she'd rather get it on with a former beaux than deal head-on with her career dissatisfaction issues... and then later due to my immaturity on a business trip had an 'emotional affair' (one of those that involve flowers but no sex)... the counseling didn't quite do the trick so we went our different ways. Stayed reasonable friends.

and the second one decided since I didn't want kids that she was going skydiving and decided to get it on with her instructor... (not the best way to tell me that she still thought that she wanted kids)... when I told her that if that's how she really thought she should deal with our kid-mismatch issue, that maybe we should separate and get counseling, she agreed to separation, didn't agree to counseling, and lived a party life for the next few years until she realized she had a repressed alcohol problem... thankfully she fixed that and we became friends again...

Hindsight is always 20-20.... and to whomever said that financial clarity and some separation says that I'm on my way to divorce #3, you are entitled to your opinion, however wrong it is in this particular case.

We both focus on 10% or more into 401ks, $500 or more per month into 'general' savings, paying bills on times, going on moderate vacations together, and each paying for our own cars or other likes... There's no reason that we couldn't cohabitate or even get married and contribute to a fund for the common/shared stuff, and each have our own finances. Sometimes reasonable fences make good neighbors, or good partners.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 325 Likes on 146 Posts

Even though I am a women, I really don't understand some (most) women.......
Really, come on now!!!

I say, do what you want. You have to be happy. Sounds like some women are never happy and therefore the don't want there men to be happy either.

So Sorry about that.

HOWEVER, as Denise has said above, there are many men who are just as bad..............

Either way, you've gotta find the right one.

Quick Reply: Wives ?