993 Forum 1995-1998

Wives ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wives ?

I visit the forum tonight and the first 2 threads I read are about a wife taking away someone's keys (who works and she doesn't) and another thread with a reply from mrsullivan whose wife sets his car allowance ?

Ok folks, I can only afford a Mini Cooper and a '95 C2 purchased used after a drunk Harley driver totalled my pristine '83 SC, but they are my cars. I'm not married (have been twice) and no wife will tell me what to do with the money I earn. IF my current girlfriend and I ever cohabitate or get married, financial separation with fair (based on salary) contribution to a common fund will be the order of business.

I also suspect that many here (buying Quattroportes and the like) have far greater income than I, so I'm feeling particularly prickly seeing all this stuff about a wife calling the shots.

I'd rather be alone than be with a woman who runs one of the most important aspects of my life (i.e. what I drive). The girlfriend has her car, I have mine. I'm to old to change my stripes, fortunately this girlfriend is a good one and understands the importance of my choice in that area.

No offense meant to any who are experiencing wife 'issues'.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
...I'd rather be alone than be with a woman who runs one of the most important aspects of my life (i.e. what I drive)....
I hope you find a more understanding woman! I know my wife is the best. I have a Cuda and now the 993. She actually suggested I keep both but my sensible side says part with the Cuda. It's for sale for $100K Just kidding on the price.
Yes, she does have a sister, 47, never married.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be one of the luckiest guys on the planet - still married to my high school sweetheart after 400,000 years, and she still puts up with my largesse!

I may even sneak a Ferrari or Lambo into the garage one day and live to tell the tale.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF my current girlfriend and I ever cohabitate or get married, financial separation with fair (based on salary) contribution to a common fund will be the order of business.
Sounds like you're heading towards ex-wife no. 3
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If it has **** or wheels...you will pay to play!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

My wife is actually very understanding and supportive. She knew before we really started dating that a 911 was my dream car and that I'd have one someday. So when I bought my first one, she accepted it and questioned me when I sold it. It wasn't the right color and we used the cash to help get into our long-term house.

Anyway... it's about being partners... she has things she spends time and money on and I have mine. Frankly, mine is quite a bit more expensive than hers, so yes... I do take her feelings into consideration before spending a bunch of money on the 993. Right now, my job is even a bit up in the air due to my employer exploring an RFP to outsource our areas... so we are even more in tune with what we're spending money on.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw

Anyway... it's about being partners... she has things she spends time and money on and I have mine.

Well said my friend.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trojanman
throw in a Dr. Phi-ism...Hows that working for you.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trojanman
I agree...number 3 is on the horizon.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 549 Posts

I visit the forum tonight and the first 2 threads I read are about a wife taking away someone's keys (who works and she doesn't) and another thread with a reply from mrsullivan whose wife sets his car allowance ?

<snip>

No offense meant to any who are experiencing wife 'issues'.
sigh, yes i too have wife issues
fortunately the kind of issues where she is chomping-at-the-bit about having to wait another few weeks before she can order her paint-to-sample 997S
<JOY>

have fun

craig

Last edited by cgfen; 04-26-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

No wife issues here ... even with 2 P-cars for me ... but maybe that's because I got her a 993 cab too ...
Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wives,...what can I say? My wife & I have been married for over 10 years now. She knew when she met me that I'm a car freak,...have been all my life. She is pretty understanding with my obsession/passion of spending hour upon hour in the garage fooling with our cars and spending $$ that in reality could be spent a million other places instead of on mods. She now rolls her eyes when she sees me at the kitchen island counter, laptop fired up, "constantly loging into Rennlist."

I feel lucky that she is to a limited extent "into" cars. She treats ours well, ie..always parks on an end, doesn't curb the wheels, throws the sunshade in to protect the dash, etc.. Some of her girlfriends are amazing when it comes to vehicle abuse.

The grass is always greener. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be single again (I'm 39) making the money I make now (not tons, but compared to when I was in my early 20's) spending what I want on anything I want with no consideration for anybody else. Seems like it would be great, but that it could get pretty empty, pretty fast. I keep telling myself that anyway.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most of the marriages I have seen dissolve have gone over two issues ... sex (with someone else, usually) and money.

I've been married twice -- once too young, and once cheated on -- but in neither instance was money a factor in the marriage.

I've had friends who were on strict allowances from their wives (including one who divorced her when she balked at him spending $15 at the mall for a new pair of running shorts after she had just bought herself a $2400 watch for her birthday), known guys who have snuck a new Porsche into the garage because it was the same color as the old one, guys who have a secret stash of money to mod their cars, guys who hide the credit card bills ...

If your significant other respects you, and understands that the car is important to you, she will tolerate it. If you're lucky, she will love it. If you are asking "permission" out of respect for her, that's fine. If you're asking permission because you are terrified of her, well, there are probably other problems at play.

I think most of the guys who are talking about "She Who Must Be Obeyed" here are doing it tongue in cheek. My favorite story was the wife who was giving the husband a hard time about his efforts to shed weight from the car, and suggested that he try losing some weight instead. He told her he knew a way to lose 130 pounds immediately. LOL

I am currently dating someone who makes four times as much as I do; her attitude about this whole issue is "Why the hell would anyone give someone a hard time about something that makes them happy?" She also includes the fact that I play lead guitar in a Grateful Dead cover band a few nights a month in that philosophy. I think she is a keeper :-)

She believes -- as I do -- that we both work hard for our money, and as long as we are being responsible about retirement and other obligations, there's no discussion necessary.

So, I don't balk when she spends $700 on a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, and she doesn't care that I own a $3800 replica of Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar.

Oh, and the lease on her 5 Series is coming to an end and she just mentioned that it would be fun to go test drive a 997 cabriolet at the Porsche dealer. She loves my 993.

I think I need to book some more gigs so I can get her a diamond.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3

If your significant other respects you, and understands that the car is important to you, she will tolerate it. If you're lucky, she will love it. If you are asking "permission" out of respect for her, that's fine. If you're asking permission because you are terrified of her, well, there are probably other problems at play.

I think most of the guys who are talking about "She Who Must Be Obeyed" here are doing it tongue in cheek. My favorite story was the wife who was giving the husband a hard time about his efforts to shed weight from the car, and suggested that he try losing some weight instead. He told her he knew a way to lose 130 pounds immediately. LOL

I am currently dating someone who makes four times as much as I do; her attitude about this whole issue is "Why the hell would anyone give someone a hard time about something that makes them happy?" She also includes the fact that I play lead guitar in a Grateful Dead cover band a few nights a month in that philosophy. I think she is a keeper :-)

She believes -- as I do -- that we both work hard for our money, and as long as we are being responsible about retirement and other obligations, there's no discussion necessary.

So, I don't balk when she spends $700 on a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, and she doesn't care that I own a $3800 replica of Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar.

Oh, and the lease on her 5 Series is coming to an end and she just mentioned that it would be fun to go test drive a 997 cabriolet at the Porsche dealer. She loves my 993.

I think I need to book some more gigs so I can get her a diamond.
+1 for everything.

And yes, it does sound like you have a keeper to me.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
If it has **** or wheels...you will pay to play!
I thought that was "If it has **** or wheels...rent it!"

Quick Reply: Wives ?