Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Always use stock OEM Porsche belts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Always use stock OEM Porsche belts!

I recently took my car to the shop to get my steering rack replaced after it started leaking last week.

Normally, I do my own oil changes and alternator/fan belt changes. But since the car was already there and needed new belts, I went ahead and asked to do them.

I picked up my car and about 10 miles later the CEL engine light came on. I was close to home so I drove it there. I scanned the ODBII port and it showed:

P0300: Random Cylinder misfires
P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire
P0302: Cyl 2...all the way to cylinder 6 (P0306)

I reset the light and took it for a drive, this time with scanner in hand. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, the CEL came back with the same codes. Repeated the procedure 2 more times to be sure that it wasn't just a fluke and the CEL would come back right on.

I checked the engine and noticed that instead of Porsche belts, the shop used Conti belts, they seemed to be the right size belts too with 993 part numbers!.

I searched here and found that many have had issues with CELs and non-Porche belts. (Is this a great place or what?)

Took the car back and we replaced the belts with OEM and the CEL disappeared.

They are also puzzled and told me that they have a customer that they did a complete 60K service that included the belts and he was having the same CEL pop-up. They changed everything from cables, distributor caps, spark plugs, etc to no avail. They did use the same Conti belts on his car. The last thing it crossed their minds was this could be caused by the belts. They are calling him today to get them replaced.

Lesson learned and moral of the story...ALWAYS USE OEM PORSCHE BELTS!
The following 2 users liked this post by cabrio993:
kazumi3 (06-07-2023), norbtx (06-08-2023)
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you compared the two belts side by side? Anyone know what issue of physics/mechanics causes that problem?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Have you compared the two belts side by side? Anyone know what issue of physics/mechanics causes that problem?
Yes

1) Porsche belt Part number 999 192 343 50 has dimensions 9.5x760mm, the Conti that was on the car with same refernec number was 10x760mm ( .5mm wider)
2) Porsche belt Part number 999 192 338 50 has dimesions 9.5x766mm, the Conti that was on the car was 10x765mm ( .5mm wider & 1 mm shorter)

I think the fact that they are .5 mm wider, even though the difference is miniscule, is enough for the Conti belt to not go as deep into the alternator pulley as the Porsche belt, making the alternator spin somewhat slower and confusing the ECU causing the false misfires.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience... this place is great. It's like going to school for me... always learning something everyday!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I had the same issue, throwing Misfire CELs, Jason Andreas said "Use factory belts", I was dubious, but he knows a lot, so I went with his advice and it fixed it.
Thanks Jason, and Rennlist in general
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

...oops. Just had all my belts done at the weekend. I don't think they were OEM.
That said, no CEL.... yet, and its been about 200 miles since.

Phil
Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts

Mine are the 10mm wide Conti's that the mechanic put on at the 45K check. I get a CEL for mis-fire on Cyl 4 every couple hundred miles. PITA, but I haven't gotten around to changing them, yet. Will wait on my planned Fall service weekend to change to new OEM belts. Might also install an RS pulley "while I'm in there"!!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I always use OEM for that reason!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why can't other suppliers nail these things perfectly?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Right on! A 0.5 mm difference is quite a bit in the land of V-belts. Can you
imagine being the poor slob who had the distributor caps, cables, etc.
changed when it may have been just the belts?! Good grief, I'd be cursing
a blue streak...
Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket manufacturers would rather save a few bucks on making or sourcing their parts–they count on most people not reading Rennlist to know the difference.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Really... and these are not cheap, made in China, imitations either. These are Continentals made in Germany specifically for the car.

What surprises me even more is that the price difference on the OEM belt vs these is not that much in the grand scheme of things. So why even bother?

It makes me wonder how many people are out there using these and dealing with CEL's thinking that there is something wrong with their ignition system.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I recently took my car to the shop to get my steering rack replaced after it started leaking last week.

Normally, I do my own oil changes and alternator/fan belt changes. But since the car was already there and needed new belts, I went ahead and asked to do them.

I picked up my car and about 10 miles later the CEL engine light came on. I was close to home so I drove it there. I scanned the ODBII port and it showed:

P0300: Random Cylinder misfires
P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire
P0302: Cyl 2...all the way to cylinder 6 (P0306)

I reset the light and took it for a drive, this time with scanner in hand. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, the CEL came back with the same codes. Repeated the procedure 2 more times to be sure that it wasn't just a fluke and the CEL would come back right on.

I checked the engine and noticed that instead of Porsche belts, the shop used Conti belts, they seemed to be the right size belts too with 993 part numbers!.

I searched here and found that many have had issues with CELs and non-Porche belts. (Is this a great place or what?)

Took the car back and we replaced the belts with OEM and the CEL disappeared.

They are also puzzled and told me that they have a customer that they did a complete 60K service that included the belts and he was having the same CEL pop-up. They changed everything from cables, distributor caps, spark plugs, etc to no avail. They did use the same Conti belts on his car. The last thing it crossed their minds was this could be caused by the belts. They are calling him today to get them replaced.

Lesson learned and moral of the story...ALWAYS USE OEM PORSCHE BELTS!
yup..it has been discussed here before...man if the fob was that easy...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
clubrsr993
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Run into the same problem. I couldn't agree more with this statement..."ALWAYS USE OEM PORSCHE BELTS!"
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the pulley shims can't deal with the .5mm difference? Seems like if slipping was the issue the Conti belts would actually work if fitted properly.
Not that it matters I guess... the Porsche belts are pretty reasonably priced, at least via Sunset Imports. Still, very interesting!

Quick Reply: Always use stock OEM Porsche belts!