993 Forum 1995-1998

North Hollywood Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Hollywood Speedo

I need to have my odometer fixed and I was thinking of changing gauge face colors at the same time. Has anyone used North Hollywood Speedometer? I would appreciate any feedback. Also, any idea on cost for changing colors would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just posted a similar question re: nhspeedo - they get extremely high reviews from many other Rennlisters. They were extremely nice on the phone and my complete set will be headed that way tomorrow for a change to silver.

Re: colors. Again, a search on Rennlist will help you. (Hint, hint!) www.FVD.de has red, yellow, blue, white, silver, and black. The dial replacements they sell are the OEM style with real cut-outs for the dash lights - unlike the other replacements which rely on the thin nature of silk-screening through which to project the lights. From what I gathered when I originally did my research on this topic, the ones FVD sells come from the same place the Gemballa dials come from, and one may also purchase some of the Gemballa screened tach dials from FVD.
I just checked the FVD website site and some faces are on clearance - the full set price has jumped dramatically (I would guess due to the falling dollar).
I will have my extra silver dials for sale very soon.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Scooter
Instructor

I had my gauges in my '92 done at NH in silver. They did a great job.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rkb
The dial replacements they sell are the OEM style with real cut-outs for the dash lights - unlike the other replacements which rely on the thin nature of silk-screening through which to project the lights.
If you're driving in the opposite direction of the setting sun the cut-out gauge face openings will sometimes look illuminated. The factory gauge faces with double-sided silk screening don't suffer from this problem.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NH did my gauges in silver, painted over all the warning lights so you couldn't see anything except the numbers! I called them and told them this was not what I expected nor wanted. They refused to redo, replace, or refund. There were also numerous pinholes in the painted faces causing bright white "stars" on the gauge face when driving at night. It is the worst job I have ever seen, and their refusal to do anything to correct the situation was not what I expected. I will never use them again, and suggest others use Palo Alto or someone else.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

NH sent me back my speedo with a nice big dent in the bezel a couple years back, they said it "must have been dropped" in the shop ... they offered to fix it when I called them on it, but I decided to live with it. But, still ... not the best experience ever. They should have some sort of quality control before sending their work out.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I find it interesting that none of these problems or issues were ever brought up in the most recent question about North Hollywood Speedometer.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rkb
I find it interesting that none of these problems or issues were ever brought up in the most recent question about North Hollywood Speedometer.
I didn't see the other thread, or I certainly would have posted.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 189 Posts

I have used them a few times, mostly for simple ODO repairs and the like. Never a problem, quick service.....
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
1990-964
Pro

I had good service overall from NH Speedo I did the face of my tach in silver and they provided a factory face after they contacted me about the face that I sent them which I bought from FVD. The FVD face while good looking was not accurately clocked and off by over 500 rpm. They did not clue me into the fact that the dial would light-up dimmer than the black face but overall the level of service and speed of turn around was as good as I than expected. I would not hesitate to use them again. I also had looked into PA Speedo but found their prices to be way the heck out there by comparison(at least by the quote over the phone) so even though they are close to where I live I sent the work off to Hollywood.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

I just used Palo Alto to reface and calibrate a 85mph speedo to 150. They were cheaper than what HS quotes, and they even replated the housing.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the factory silver gauges in the C4S, at night there very hard to read, I like the factory black better. However, the silver looks cooler.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no experience with NH but I've used Palo Alto Speedo a couple of times and was happy with the job they did on both my projects (70s era Smiths and Jeager rebuilds). No affiliation etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Thanks all for the feedback. This is a great site! I decided to forgo a color change at this point. The biggest change I want to make is to have the redline on the tach appear at 12 o'clock. NH Speedo will be able to do that, but only in black
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had NH replace my glass on my speedo. They did a great job - but that is what I expect for what they charge!! They also offer to recondition the orange highlights which would be awesome but expensive for all the guages.

Quick Reply: North Hollywood Speedo