Sponsored by:

Will be in market for 993 - Tiptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will be in market for 993 - Tiptronic Question

I will be in the market for a 993 as I sell my M3, hopefully soon. I see quite a few of these cars in the market right now with tiptronic and I'm wondering from a performance perspective how they function? Quick shift? Does it effect performance numbers (0-60), up/down shift response? I plan on modding the car extensively (performance/aesthetics) and some light-duty tracking, DE.

I'm experienced with Audi as I've owned 2 with thier tip transmission ('00 A6 & '02 A4) and the shift was rather soft, not fast. On the other hand I've driven an M3 with SMG and was impressed and how quickly that shifted.

Anyway, my purchase will likely mean having to fly out of state to check a car out since there aren't many here in Minnesota that come up for sale . I'm not opposed to one but if it's like the Audi I'd rather not even if it's a good deal. I'm wondering if anyone with a tiptronic can chime in on that and if any regrets.

There seem to also be better deals on the tips and does that say something about them. Also, what about durability? I did see an "S" not too long ago with one that surprised me, but made me think perhaps there's something to them.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

I'm not so fond of the early iterations of Tiptronic. To each, his own.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It should be very similar to the Audi. The Tiptronics (prior to DSG) used in both Audi and VW are Porsche's design and were used under license from Porsche. There's definitely a bit of a delay when shifting "(semi-) manually". It's apparent in our Passat & GTI .
Old 03-02-2008, 01:46 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

BTW there were a fair number of Carrera S models built with Tiptronics.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a tip C2S. It's driven in DEs and I autocrossed it one year winning the class for the season (see this rennlist thread for the long story of how I ended up with a tip). The only serious complaint I have about the trans is that it only has four ratios. The trans control is very sofisticated, 6 modes, and I'm never sure just which mode it's in. That makes the trans in auto a bit annoying. I drive in manual mode only. If you test drive a tip it's likely that you'll be disappointed. It takes a while to learn to use the trans.

The good is, I'm never in the wrong gear, I think it's impossible to over-rev, you don't take your hands off the wheel to shift, ... , and you'll pay $4k to $5k less for a tip car vs 6 speed car. I don't think the shifts, in manual, are soft or slow. I've heard the trans is bullet proof and I've had no trouble with mine.

From a tip owner the bottom line is if I were going to extensively mod the car for performance I'd get a six speed. I would recommend a tip if you want a daily driver for conditions where you'll wear out the clutch or your leg. If you're not concerned about auto/manual then then you can buy the tip and pocket some cash for mods.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
gonz911
Pro

hoggel - thank you for the response, it's what I was looking for. It's something for me to think about because I will be driving it quite a bit in traffic. So it seems you just have to get used to driving one way or the other. With the Audi's I never bothered using the manual mode since they're not sports cars, although some may argue that. I also thought it was as I said a 'soft' transition. I decided what I'm going to do is find a few that I'm interested in (tip or not) and then test drive them. After the amount of time and money I put into the M3 I don't want to make the same mistake. I'll have to check out your thread. Thanks again!

The mods I'd be looking at would be wheels, suspension, exhaust, and chip, interior and some exterior, so I probably shouldn't have said extensive, somewhat relative I guess.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a tip C2S. I drive in manual mode exclusively and spend most of my time in 2nd or 3rd. One more ratio would probably be better, but it's close enough for 100% street driving. No regrets, no problems, and everything - shifts, launches - is fast enough for me.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
gonz911
Pro

Excellent thread and thanks for the referral! I didn't know you can remap the rev/shift from driving patterns. I guess the key is to decide to drive in manual as you said. Thanks again. This I think will be a good option.

Originally Posted by hoggel
I have a tip C2S. It's driven in DEs and I autocrossed it one year winning the class for the season (see this rennlist thread for the long story of how I ended up with a tip). The only serious complaint I have about the trans is that it only has four ratios. The trans control is very sofisticated, 6 modes, and I'm never sure just which mode it's in. That makes the trans in auto a bit annoying. I drive in manual mode only. If you test drive a tip it's likely that you'll be disappointed. It takes a while to learn to use the trans.

The good is, I'm never in the wrong gear, I think it's impossible to over-rev, you don't take your hands off the wheel to shift, ... , and you'll pay $4k to $5k less for a tip car vs 6 speed car. I don't think the shifts, in manual, are soft or slow. I've heard the trans is bullet proof and I've had no trouble with mine.

From a tip owner the bottom line is if I were going to extensively mod the car for performance I'd get a six speed. I would recommend a tip if you want a daily driver for conditions where you'll wear out the clutch or your leg. If you're not concerned about auto/manual then then you can buy the tip and pocket some cash for mods.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
gonz911
Pro

Thanks too Ed for the input.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although not perfect the tip is a decent box thats well matched to the 3.6 liter flat six. The 993 tip is a second or two slower in most zero to X comparisons. (997 Turbo tips are faster than their 6 speed counterparts) Some will require you to hand over your "man card" but my sig sums it up well.

Best wishes and good luck
Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM
gonz911
Pro

I've been researching the heck out of this site to narrow in on what I want. I also purchased Adrian Streather's "Porsche 993 The Essential Companion". I'm now reading up quite a bit on the tip and I'm interested. I never really committed to driving my Audi's in manual mode because I figured what the heck, not really a sports car. I"m going to arrange it so I can drive one and a 6SP prior to buying. Looks like quite a few good deals on tips though. That's what made me wonder if there was a down side to them other than the obvious. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

apples to apples the tips are worth a lot less, so if the seller is realistic you should be able to land a nice clean car at a good price.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

And there's another tip detail I like. When it's in manual mode it shifts up at redline. When I'm on the track I only shift down. The car shifts up. A few people have ridden with me on the track and they are always surprised that it's a tip.

The first time I did DE with NASA the Chief Instructor rode with me for the checkout. After three laps at Miller Motorsports Park we got out and he complemented me on my smooth driving. I said that the tip helps and he said, "This car is an automatic?!!" :~)

And I may be selling the car ... if you're interested. I am getting married and between the two of us we have five cars and a two car garage. I have an e30 BMW that I drive on the track and a vw TDi to drive everyday now so the Porsche is kinda the odd guy out. If I do sell it will probably be the least expensive C2S on the market because of the multiple owner history, as I explained in the other thread, and because it's a tip. It has performed flawlessly for me though and I have maintained it meticulously since I have had it (three years this month).
Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

And I may be selling the car ... if you're interested. I am getting married and between the two of us we have five cars and a two car garage. I have an e30 BMW that I drive on the track and a vw TDi to drive everyday now so the Porsche is kinda the odd guy out. If I do sell it will probably be the least expensive C2S on the market because of the multiple owner history, as I explained in the other thread, and because it's a tip. It has performed flawlessly for me though and I have maintained it meticulously since I have had it (three years this month).
Props for another E30 owner!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
gonz911
Pro

I may be interested. I didn't realize that it will shift up at redline while in manual mode! My car is going up for sale. I need to sell it before buyng another.

And there's another tip detail I like. When it's in manual mode it shifts up at redline. When I'm on the track I only shift down. The car shifts up. A few people have ridden with me on the track and they are always surprised that it's a tip.

The first time I did DE with NASA the Chief Instructor rode with me for the checkout. After three laps at Miller Motorsports Park we got out and he complemented me on my smooth driving. I said that the tip helps and he said, "This car is an automatic?!!" :~)

Quick Reply: Will be in market for 993 - Tiptronic Question