Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be in market for 993 - Tiptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I previously owned a Targa Tip. IMHO the auto function is absolute crap and way too stupid by half. My ex 1997 Subaru auto box was far superior. You just selected the sports button for crisper downshifts and longer upshifts. With the Tip I could never get it to select its sportiest mode despite resetting it by disconecting the battery for 15 minutes and then driving hard. Practically it is ineffective. As most have said it is far superior in manual mode which I used all the time. My box had an issue when in first. Despite supposedly having a sensor to pick up lateral gs so that it would not auto upshift in corners it malfunctioned here. There was 1 corner I frequently took which I would arrive at from a standing start at around 5,000rpm. As soon as I eased the throttle back from full to try and maintain the 5,000rpm in first around the corner, it automatically would shift to second despite being in manual mode. Tips also effectively has 3 gears and 1 overdrive to the manual's 5 gears and same overdrive, and that is at least 1 gear short leaving some very big holes with rpm dropping below 3,000 rpm on some upshifts.

Yes they are great for traffic, but last year I traded my auto Subaru for a manual and have very much enjoyed the additional involvement that the manual gives, and this is despite what can be some quite heavy traffic in Hong Kong at times. I have also swapped out the Tip in my latest 993 for a 6 speed at considerable cost. Manuals are rare in Hong Kong.

Oh, and a not much known or talked about aspect but wonderful attribute of the Tip is that you can match revs on manual downshifts – very handy when you are really moving and want to keep the car balanced and settle it before a corner. There is a lag between when you select a lower gear and before that lower gear engages, during which time you can blip the throttle.

Another advantage of a Tip is left foot braking which can significantly decrease your response time for braking if you are covering the brake.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
gonz911
Pro

Wow. Great stuff. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Luftd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerard
My wife has a tiptronic Audi A4 (30v V6) and in auto mode it is much better than the Porsche tip. Not just because it has 5 gears.
In the auto mode:
Audi box adapts to driving styles very quickly.
Porsche will take forever.
The Audi changes down very quickly when the accelerator is pushed down just a fraction.
The Porsche requires a fair bit of movement and this makes it feel non responsive.
Audi will give you first gear when you stop.
Porsche default is second gear with the selector in D. Put it in 3 and you will start off in first, but once you get up speed you will want to move it to D.
In the manual mode:
Audi is slower to change gear than the Porsche.
The Audi will take you down to first gear when you stop.
Porsche default is second gear. As you have opted for manual mode, don’t be lazy, just select first gear yourself.
Audi delivers the power smoothly.
Porsche feels like it fumbling around with extra gears especially when you are in first and second and change up too soon. Drive it hard and it is not noticed.

You have to drive it in manual mode to enjoy it. You will either love it or hate it. There is nothing in between. Left foot breaking is the way to go.

I am a tip convert having thrown around manual Lotus cars for 30+ years. The clutch has gone forever and when I sit in traffic, I am truly glad.

That is how it is for me with two tips in the family.

There is not much difference between the NA models for the standing start kilometre time. The figures below are for the ROW models. The tip gearing was the same for the US market unlike the manual.

I will get some video on the YouTube one day showing the speed of a tip gear change and also how the revs change when the varioram comes into play for those that are curious.

A little side note….I drove a F430 on the track recently and when I saw the F1 paddle shift I jokingly thought ‘Oh great it’s a tip!’ It was awesome.
Attached Images    
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
chet
Instructor

I shouldn't admit that I don't know how to handle this since I've owned my tip for almost two and a half years, but maybe some of you can help me with this.

I always drive the car in manual mode, but when braking, it will automatically shift down to 2nd when the revs get below some certain point. When I'm coming to a corner and slowing but not stopping, sometimes the transmission shifts down by itself and sometimes it doesn't. I always seem to find myself either trying to accelerate without downshifting only to discover I'm still in 3rd, or downshifting as I accelerate only to find myself engine braking because I'm now down in 1st.

Am I the only one that happens to?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
gonz911
Pro

David,

Thank you very much for the information. This is going to be tough but I'm thinking I love a manual too much to save a few grand. I'm going to try and arrange driving both before I decide. I didn't enjoy driving the Audi in manual mode but then it wasn't as if I was driving a sports car either. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Luftd993
Gerard
My wife has a tiptronic Audi A4 (30v V6) and in auto mode it is much better than the Porsche tip. Not just because it has 5 gears.
In the auto mode:
Audi box adapts to driving styles very quickly.
Porsche will take forever.
The Audi changes down very quickly when the accelerator is pushed down just a fraction.
The Porsche requires a fair bit of movement and this makes it feel non responsive.
Audi will give you first gear when you stop.
Porsche default is second gear with the selector in D. Put it in 3 and you will start off in first, but once you get up speed you will want to move it to D.
In the manual mode:
Audi is slower to change gear than the Porsche.
The Audi will take you down to first gear when you stop.
Porsche default is second gear. As you have opted for manual mode, don’t be lazy, just select first gear yourself.
Audi delivers the power smoothly.
Porsche feels like it fumbling around with extra gears especially when you are in first and second and change up too soon. Drive it hard and it is not noticed.

You have to drive it in manual mode to enjoy it. You will either love it or hate it. There is nothing in between. Left foot breaking is the way to go.

I am a tip convert having thrown around manual Lotus cars for 30+ years. The clutch has gone forever and when I sit in traffic, I am truly glad.

That is how it is for me with two tips in the family.

There is not much difference between the NA models for the standing start kilometre time. The figures below are for the ROW models. The tip gearing was the same for the US market unlike the manual.

I will get some video on the YouTube one day showing the speed of a tip gear change and also how the revs change when the varioram comes into play for those that are curious.

A little side note….I drove a F430 on the track recently and when I saw the F1 paddle shift I jokingly thought ‘Oh great it’s a tip!’ It was awesome.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
skicoach
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chet,
I've owned a 98 C2S tip for just short of 2 years. They are supposed to automatically downshift to 2nd at a certain rpm when slowing down. Until you get used to when you can downshift and find yourself in 1st and hi-revving when you thought you were going to 2nd. Pay attention and you'll learn just when it happens.
As with all things, it just takes time to get used to. On the original topic, I have learned to love my tip. I had planned on getting std.transmission (real Porsche) and during my search I came across what I think to be the prettiest 993 I've ever seen. It is Mirage metallic (special order) with Savannah beige leather and still with only 15,000 miles (6000 with me). It was the color combo, condition, and low miles that caused me to "settle" for the tip. It's funny that almost everyone that gets a tip for whatever reason ends up really liking it. It just might turn out that the tips become more sought after as the number of drivers that learn on standards is dwindling.
Good Luck,
Chris

Quick Reply: Will be in market for 993 - Tiptronic Question