Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damnation! My car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my uk car also has the 'crude' led in the center console...I was told by someone at Porsh-Apart that all uk cars had the alarm retro fit mentioned by Steve above.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock
I'm not sure I understand you here Garth, my diodes only flash when the alarm/immob is engaged .. Once I unlock the doors , the immob is also shut off and the diodes stop flashing. I suspect my alarm/immob system was retrofitted as there's also a (rather crude looking!) red diode that flashes on the lower central console .. This light then stays on constant when the immob automatically comes back on again if the ignition isn't started after about say 20 seconds. My clock icon isn't lit at any stage so it's either not been included in the system fit or the bulbs kaput.

Ok - I was referring to the sequence of starting the car that has had the door unlocked for some time, and the key just inserted - ie., the immobilizer is armed .... and then must be disarmed after the key is turned to the run position, lighting all the dash icons.

I now see that the UK has some added delights to this already system. G'luck
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
my uk car also has the 'crude' led in the center console....
Hiya Lee,
Is yours a PA1000 and if so , does the immob light on your clock annunciate?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think someone else mentioned this before but in addition to the ground strap at the battery you also need to check the ground strap from the motor to the frame. Just from what you've written so far I would be looking at the battery, cables (and ground straps) and the starter. Just my .02.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
henkinc
Racer

Shamrock - you may of course simply have a bad solenoid on your starter motor - hence the clunk.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 AM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by henkinc
Shamrock - you may of course simply have a bad solenoid on your starter motor - hence the clunk.
Did further 'starter motor' searching on line last night and this thought struck me too .. I'm hearing it's pretty unusual to have a starter go at sub 50k miles (No??)

If the solenoid goes , will it give trouble first or will it die end of story? .. The car has been running perfectly for the last two days ..
Old 03-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock
Did further 'starter motor' searching on line last night and this thought struck me too .. I'm hearing it's pretty unusual to have a starter go at sub 50k miles (No??)

If the solenoid goes , will it give trouble first or will it die end of story? .. The car has been running perfectly for the last two days ..
I don't have any experience w/ Porsche starters but I've had a great deal of experience with American car starters. They usually give you a warning that they're about to fail but not always. If there's built up crud on the windings in the motor and the brushes are on that spot you'll have problems getting the starter to turn. Sometimes a good wack with a hammer will let it turn over and it will continue to function until the brushes fall on that bad spot again.

As for mileage that has little bearing on whether the starter is bad. A lot of short trips with lots of starts would obviously be harder on a starter than one that's driven for long distances each time.

I'm not saying your starter is bad, I would check your cables/ground straps first.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
shamrock
Racer

Thanks Bill , the battery ground strap is perfect , but that's the end of my knowledge I'm afraid . Is there a way of checking the starters earth connection besides getting up close and personal with it ? Ie would it be possible to detect a bad starter by unusual draw on the battery during starter engagement? I could pull the dme relay and turn the car over while checking batt voltage.

Quick Reply: Damnation! My car won't start!