Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The king of engine undertray

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The Ferrari tray is designed to create a low pressure point under the rear of the car, effectively pulling it down, actually quite ingenious. I don't know how much down force this creates relative to a wing, but it also does NOT create drag, so the overall aerodynamics may be actually better.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins
You are correct a 430 pulled up next to me at the gas station a few weeks ago, was speechless. One of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen!

Robin, care to share what made you go after a Ferrari and not say a GT3? And, what are your thoughts so far?
Scott, I went to Ferrari for few reasons:

(1). Was a teenager dream to own a Ferrari since the 80s after the Magnum PI show.
(2). Porsches now days are just so non-drama, too reliable, too maintenance free. Porsche made too many cars, so there are a lot of them on the road. Sort of lost the mystique feeling.
(3). There is nothing else in the world that sounds like a Ferrari. Except the Carrera GT, but that's too expensive of a car. If the CGT was in a price range of a 360 I would have bought one in a heartbeat instead of a Ferrari.

I read that Ferrari spent crazy amount of hours in the wind tunnel for the 360, and a lot of the design is transfer of technology they learn from Formula 1. The whole idea was not to add any external wing or aerodynamic devices to ruin the lines of the car. In real world application I am finding there is a "soft" spot in the car's handling between 80-90 mph where the car feels very floaty, supposely the aero effect does not function very well below that speed. So.....
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree completely in regard to the CGT!!! Saw the movie "Fracture" this past weekend that is one fine car.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

So are we suppose to feel sorry for you that you are having a harder time wrenching your F-car then the P-car?

Yes, we are all a little jealous! Just be glad it's not a CF undertray, & you cracked it with a jack.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
This journey into discovery of the Italian mistress is just beginning. Should we start a pool on how long Robin keeps the Ferrari.

Been there done it, you know the rest of the story.

Most P-car guys I know didn't last a year
I don't know LAT, maybe we should ask Robin if he still has the RR to get an indication of his pain threshold before we start placing bets. He might actually be good for a couple of years.

JK Robin, I've been through the Italian and English affairs too.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
I don't know LAT, maybe we should ask Robin if he still has the RR to get an indication of his pain threshold before we start placing bets. He might actually be good for a couple of years.

JK Robin, I've been through the Italian and English affairs too.
Still have the RR, the British truck has been great. Spent a total of $700 fixing her up, new air spring, new shocks, new ball joints, new tie rods, (used) valve block, computer rest. Air suspension have been working great, until.... Monday this week. Craped out again, I believe one of the ride height sensors are busted, got a new one on order will see what happens....
Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Ewok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, Italian engineering at its finest. A great car to drive but I like to get intimate with my car, and not be unpleasantly surprised when I do. But I do hope you enjoy ownership, it's a fantastic car.

Quick Reply: The king of engine undertray