Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my HID mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ted....will you let me know if you come up with any good solutions for the retrofit? I agree that some of the aftermarket HID's out there can be annoying to others. I'm really more interesting in a fog light that will produce strong white light that matches the amazing intense white light of the aftermarket headlights I now have. Many thanks ,

Matt
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ewok
I hate having to look at people's excessively bright aftermarket HID headlights. I'm glad you like your lights but I sincerely hope they are not offensive to others.
I agree totally. I think a lot of time it is that the headlights are poorly aimed or not self adjusting to load. Obviously these problems are magnified with HIDs. And then, regardless of aiming you have the problem of someone in a lifted pickup tailgating you. I will do the HID thing soon, but I will take extra care in aiming.

To stray off topic, have you guy noticed lately how freakin' bright some LED taillights are these days? I was at a stoplight the other night behind some generic SUV, I had to put my visor down until the light changed. . .very annoying

even more off topic, I think there is just too much light in general at night
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really more interesting in a fog light that will produce strong white light that matches the amazing intense white light of the aftermarket headlights I now have

Keep in mind that really bright fog lights are pretty much useless in the fog. The idea with fogs is to throw a wide, low level light that doesn't get reflected back at you from the fog (ever turn your highbeams on in thick fog?). If you convert the fogs to HIDs you should really just use them as driving lights, and only when there is no oncoming traffic. My solution was to go the other direction and put yellow H1s in the foglights. Around here I actually use them.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that wanted to know, the link to the kit I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130198580330

No afilliation, etc.. Just a happy buyer so far (only installed a few days) got them shipped to my office in 3 days.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
I agree. It seems like this is mostly an issue with bulbs that are overly blue/purple (8000K+ ?). I saw an annoying example of this a few hours ago on a Focus.

Typically OEM HIDs also have self-levelling systems, which aftermarket lights don't. But with stiff suspensions and small front trunks our cars should not need to adjust much to extra weight sagging down the *** end.
As I understand it, the more blue the light output,.. the less light being put out. The really dark blue/purple ricey look is just that, a look.

I went with the 6k because I did that on my e30 BMW that has the elip. headlights and loved the outcome. I used a different vendor for the 993 but again, I'm very please with the results. My lights have just a very light hint of blue.

As for pissing anybody off, I sincerely doubt it. The whole mod takes place inside your existing headlight module/bucket. You can aim them just like before the install. I didn't mess with re-aiming, felt no need to do so.

I'm a little confused by the coments about self-leveling, etc..
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Spent $98.98 shipped for an HID kit off of ebay. Did it myself in 45 minutes. Super slim ballasts, stuffed it all into the headlight bucket itself, true "plug-n-play", 6000K color (very slight hint of blue.) Just went for a cold top down test drive (10:45 pm), they're awesome.

Fliping on the high beams doesn't do a WHOLE lot anymore. I didn't realign them at all, they just seem super bright....didn't get flashed by anybody going opposite direction.

Actually drove to my local drycleaner strip mall to check out how they look to others via the darkened shop windows,...very cool if I do say so myself. Tough to find a better mod for 100 bucks. I know tons of guys have done this already, but if you haven't you gotta look into it.

Thanks to all that took the time to post in the various HID DIY threads.

I love this place (slope and all)
I just ordered mine from the same vendor. Hope yours are still working out for you!!

J
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Marlon
Drifting

I like having the rear fogs in my Range Rover - takes care of tailgaters day or night without fail.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys realise one of our Rennlist members sells these ?

Alan from Aceparts.com
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/16632-aceparts_com.html

eBAY link
I bought a HID kit for my 993 TTS

ask Alan for the slim ballasts ...they fit into the headlight housing

also ask him about his wiperblades for 993's !!!
My 993 now has better wipers and lights than my near new GM / Holden
Old 03-19-2008, 01:14 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.Ho
I just ordered mine from the same vendor. Hope yours are still working out for you!!

J
So far so good. I think you'll like 'em.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
banzai993
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Ho

J
lemme know Bro
Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These little side light bulbs are a must if you have HIDs I will take a few pics when and if it ever stops raining here in the UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-SIDELIGH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am getting my Siemens 8000K HID kit tomorrow. I should have time to install it on Saturday. I will post pics. I don't think they have a slim ballast though
I can't wait.....
Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
I am getting my Siemens 8000K HID kit tomorrow. I should have time to install it on Saturday. I will post pics. I don't think they have a slim ballast though
I can't wait.....
pity you ordered the 8000k kit
Not as bright as the others
Old 03-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Jeffrey Tucker
Track Day

Does installing the HIDs disable the existing high beams or just make them less relevant given the increased brightness of the HIDs in low beam mode?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
Does installing the HIDs disable the existing high beams or just make them less relevant given the increased brightness of the HIDs in low beam mode?
+1

The auction mentiones you lose high beams entirely but the way I read it, that's only for 9007, 9004, H13.

Ours is the H1 so what happens with the high beam? Do you still have the regular high beam or you lose it?

Also, is this just plug & play, no splicing the wires etc. needed?

Last edited by Flying Finn; 03-21-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Love my HID mod