Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: Very interesting times we live in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fun watching the Clintons get knocked down by their own party. That's all I'm gonna say
Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

snicker-snicker...

Originally Posted by Dan V
It's fun watching the Clintons get knocked down by their own party. That's all I'm gonna say
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Here in Michigan...there is an economic hole. But, we can take consolation in the fact that our votes don't count!
You have at least 17 electoral votes, we have the minimum 3. I must say the three votes we have come vis-a-vis the biggest political chuckleheads of all time.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Canadian Perspectivebut anti CAD$ strenght)

I would love to see a 1st African American or female pres. in our time, its way overdue.......I just hope whoever wins can clean up the US's International image and get the economy back on track.
...and keep his/her guns in hisher/ own back yard, and not export them around the world where his/her nose doesn't belong!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Oh yeah. And it's only going to get more fun as they slowly realize what they thought was a sure thing was, in fact, totally impossible from day one.

A widely unliked and untrusted person (hey, it's not me, it's poll results!), regardless of how "powerful" they are, will never get elected president.

I think McCain has it in the bag, unless a ****pile of 18-25 year olds vote, which they will probably not do. (Too much work!)
Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What will be interesting is how the US responds to the rising economic powers of India, China and others.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
jungleboy
Pro

these are interesting times indeed! hey, I heard Obama owns a 993 in that case, he's got my vote! lol
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 532 Posts

I think that this will be very interesting.

First, the Democratic party, most of the media, and several organizations have been pushing a concerted effort to create a specific "tone" of public opinion for the last 8 years. This in itself is not anything new. Politics always does this. However, I don't think we have seen the intensity of such a campaign to sway public opinion in a very long time and certainly not with three different entities (DNC, media, and independent organizations such as Move On) working in such lock step.

Second, the old guard of the Democratic party, the Clintons, have had the attitude that they run the game. That has been true for a long time, but a groundswell of public opinion is swinging away from their control.

Meanwhile, a relatively unknown is sweeping the hearts and minds of the Democratic voters by skillfully playing on the themes and tones that the "three entities" have been working to build for the last 8 years. Obama has played a shrewd hand of working the passions of the people by offering nothing more than vagaries and platitudes. He has generated a wave of enthusiasm that will sweep over the Clintons like a tsunami.

A fracture is developing in the Democratic party.

Obama will likely win the majority of voting delegates. However, the Clintons are experts at playing hardball and will stop to leave no stone unturned in their quest to win. This is where things will get interesting. Clinton will pull in all the old markers they are owed and may steal defeat out of the jaws of victory, if I may borrow a friend's words.

It is very possible that the Democratic party will see a replay of Election 2000, but this time it will be real and there will be a situation where the popular vote is negated by their own super delegates. Clinton may win, but most of the Democrats will have voted for Obama. This could set the stage for a huge angry backlash within the party. If it reaches critical mass the party could produce an internal coupe and you may see many long time old guard members get thrown to the wolves.

This is where the ancient Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" takes on a surreal nature.

The only thing missing in this potential acid bath is a real differentiation between Clinton and Obama in terms of political ideals. Both are very much alike when it comes to ideology. If they were diametrically opposite, then a party coupe would be very politically bloody and change the face of the party.

However, this is not the case. The three entities have spent a huge amount of effort to paint a perception that the world is about to self destruct economically, socially, and environmentally. Ignoring the rhetoric shows that this is not nearly the case that it is built up to be. It really is only perception and as such is vaporous. Furthermore, the proposed solutions to these problems has even less substance than the proposed problems. There is no real plan and there is no golden path for us to march on. There is only "hope" and "change", but no definition as to what that really means.

My point is that the unrest that may be brewing does not have a tangible difference in core beliefs that will force the party in one direction or another. There are no real ideological sides of the fence to get on, but there will be a lot of anger and resentment. If this does come to pass as I have speculated, a crystal ball will be as good as anything to predict the ultimate outcome.

The only thing that seems certain is that it will be interesting.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

A black man or a white woman in the White House isn't going to fly.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Black man..........white woman.........Ill take this option: I vote Condoleeza Rice, she has more intellegence and class in her little finger than those other 2 morons have in their whole bodies now if she'd just run!!!!

JERRY
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
What will be interesting is how the US responds to the rising economic powers of India, China and others.

Easy answer to that, tariff!!! You want to sell products to the US, pay the duty taxes. There is no surprise, all these countries places huge duty taxes on all US made goods. Of course there are the lobbists who only cares about their own pocket in our country. (Well... as long as US don't tax anything from Germany and Italy)
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
A black man or a white woman in the White House isn't going to fly.
Americans see Obama as an American, I don't think most people see him as Black American. Sadly (from a race perspective), when people pull that curtain closed on election day you are correct, they won't vote for him as peoples predjudices will preclude them from "pulling the lever" under his name. Polls will be way off on this one. As it relates to a woman in the White House I don't agree. You are right as it relates to Hillary though, she's unelectable. The overwhelming problem with the Dems is that there is zero substance behind all of their carefully crafted words. McCain might be someone who eats "crabby flakes" for breakfast every day but you know what you are going to get with him. People will always vote for the devil they know versus the devil they don't know. McCain will take it in a 53% versus 47% popular vote as he'll get 80% of the swing vote (which represents 10% of the total vote).
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

I agree with Mark. I think Hillary will end up getting the Democratic nomination and in the end she is too polarizing to get enough votes in a general election.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan V,

I like the Fred Thompson banner! I think Fred got in too late and didn't get the media attention he needed after he did get in.

BTW - Fred used to date my sister-in-law ... and he actually came to my wedding!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Very cool Harvey he seems like a good man.

JERRY

Quick Reply: OT: Very interesting times we live in!