993 Forum 1995-1998

AC Jack Stands No Longer Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Is there a place to pick these up? I remember someone picked them up somewhere.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick-up in NJ

You can pick them up at my place in NJ if you like.....no freight cost but you'd have to pay 7% NJ sales tax. I'm in Bergen County in Northern NJ (approx 12 miles from the GW Bridge going into NY city).

SD
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve D'Gerolamo
The item desciption always indicated that "actual freight"would be charged when processing the transaction. In the past, I padded the cost of the item to let the transaction slip under the flat $10 shipping rate. This was not fair to the East Coast and Central customers. Now a fair price is listed for the item ($74ea , previously $95ea for the AC Hydraulic versions) and actual freight is charged. The item listing on my site now gives a freight cost range (a pair of stands with special double wall packaging weighs 28 lbs)........

East Coast - $12-16/pair
Central - $18-24/pair
Rockies/West Coast - $25-32/pair

If you have a UPS account, I'd be happy to let you pick up the freight cost and charge you only for the stands.

Jungleboy....I just sent you an email explaining all this. Its not too late for me to cancel your order.

There will be no more stands after the current shipment until May-June and future pricing is not guaranteed. If anyone needs an exact freight quote, send me an email with your zip code before ordering online. Steve , Ultimate Garage
Steve,
Our discussion here and my comments were not made to offend or discourage folks against your shop. Obviously you have provided a good product and a good price, otherwise I personally wouldn't have purchased the items from you. I did not mislead anyone, I was simply have a conversation with fellow rennlisters - "$10 shipping (which is admittedly low for the weight)" "I can't complain tooooo much since they did tell me before the transaction was complete..." I certainly don't think that you had any intension to deceive, nor did I suggest that.
Having said that, all I was suggesting is that this information be made available to the customer initially so that they have the entire cost in mind when making the decision to purchase the item. When I replied to you about authorizing the transaction, I expressed these very concerns to you. Please take it as customer feedback if you will and nothing more. Have a good night.

Arun
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Steve,

Please take it as customer feedback if you will and nothing more. Have a good night.

Arun
Thanks Arun....others had the same comment which is why I posted the freight cost estimates by region with the product desciption. The e-commerce software I use does offer "plug-in" freight modules but the rates from UPS frequently change and may be much higher than the discount rates I currently receive. I see a person on Ebay selling the same product with a flat $22.00 per stand shipping cost.

I'll try to implement something a little more precise in the future for this and other items. With diesel fuel approaching $4.00/gallon, even the flat $10 shipping cost on small orders may be in jeopardy soon. SD
Old 03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve - do you still have two pairs left?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Steve - do you still have two pairs left?
I just got the last 30 sets of jackstands yesterday...these will have to last me through June.

Many people have asked about the quality of these compared to the AC Hydraulic stands. AC always outsourced production of the flat top 3000N stands and there is some speculation that their recent production (ie, for the past few years) may have come from China. The current ESCO stands ARE made in China (no speculation here) but at least the price is down $20+ per stand and the welds and finish are much cleaner.

Another problem with the AC stands is they used to get beat up badly in transit to the US. AC would ship 100+ stands in wooden crates, unprotected from metal to metal contact. The current ESCO stands come 2 to a box and the posts are bubble wrapped for additional protection. I've been repackaging these in heavy duty boxes as I got feedback early on that the Chinese boxes were getting beat up badly in transit to the customer.

I still think this is the best stand on the market today and the only one to use when supporting cars on flat surfaces.

SD
Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Steve,
I purchased my set from you back in '05 and swear by them. I have used them dozens of times - so they look as if they were dragged behind a bulldozer for a few miles.

I have seen a set of the ESCO stands and can say that the two are essentially the same. As you mention, the finish on the ESCO stands appears a bit better.

Andreas
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just happened to check the Ultimate Garage website and found that the flat top jack stands are on sale for $65 each until July 31 or when stock runs out. I called Steve to ask about them and he told me these made-in-China stands actually have higher quality finish and welds.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...oducts_id=2233

No financial interest, just passing this on in case anyone is still looking for some.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I tried to order 4 but his system said they didn't have that many in stock so I ordered 2. I wonder if I got the last 2?

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

Default Try ordering another pair

Message deleted.

Last edited by Steve D'Gerolamo; 07-26-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just ordered 4. I was only charged $10 shipping when I checked out (paid with paypal). They were $72 (not $65). Total was $298.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

The group purchase is closed. The supply that came in at the discounted cost is sold out. The sale priced Rennlist jackstands have been repackaged in heavy duty boxes and are all set to ship on Monday. Thanks to all who participated. Steve D

Last edited by Steve D'Gerolamo; 07-27-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Damit. I need some of these like yesterday.

If anyone picked some up and don't need them, let me know.

Thx.

RT
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Default Received my jackstands today...

Wow, I can't believe how heavy duty they are. They are truly massive. It makes me want to put my car on them and redo the suspension I just finished!!

Thanks Steve!!

-Doug

Quick Reply: AC Jack Stands No Longer Available