Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 tire of choice for Commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default C4 tire of choice for Commuting?

I need new tires on the new C4, driving her home on Friday, there was a downpour, & it was getting a little squirmy. I got S02's on there, right at the wear bars.

I'm looking at the Pilot Sport Ribbed, form TR, but I want a fun tire, that is compliant, & quiet! This is a commuter, not a track rat. Tread wear @ 220 sucks, & they are around $900 shipped a set.

Any feedback from DD?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I need new tires on the new C4, driving her home on Friday, there was a downpour, & it was getting a little squirmy. I got S02's on there, right at the wear bars.

I'm looking at the Pilot Sport Ribbed, form TR, but I want a fun tire, that is compliant, & quiet! This is a commuter, not a track rat. Tread wear @ 220 sucks, & they are around $900 shipped a set.

Any feedback from DD?
I have MPS2's on mine only because I couldn't get the Bridgestone RE01Rs. Ostensibly, an outstanding tire, and a better value. ~$720 for 225s up front and 255s in back. However, I have no complaints about the PS2's, and they rate outstanding in the wet.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got Sumi's HTRZ II's on my c4s...not sure you can beat these for a DD when you consider price/great tread wear. I don't have much seat time with other tires but I don't have any complaints about mine.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FLYT993
I have MPS2's on mine only because I couldn't get the Bridgestone RE01Rs. Ostensibly, an outstanding tire, and a better value. ~$720 for 225s up front and 255s in back. However, I have no complaints about the PS2's, and they rate outstanding in the wet.
140 tread wear, that means they will last me less then a year, I'll pay the extra for the 320 wear. But they are a great tire, & not to $$

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I've got Sumi's HTRZ II's on my c4s...not sure you can beat these for a DD when you consider price/great tread wear. I don't have much seat time with other tires but I don't have any complaints about mine.
These are DIRT cheap! How do they feel? Do you notice any extra road noise? I don't want a numb tire, or a really loud one.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall for a DD I think the Michelin PS2 is the best tire. It also lasts 10-15% longer than it's competitors. That being said, I still don't know if that is the most tire you will get for your money..
Old 02-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive the HRIIs. I had some Yokahamas which were nice, then I had SO2s on the car and the SO2s are definetly more nimble.

I like the HRIIs for daily driving, they aren't as nimble– although not that far away from the SO2s. They feel just a tad more sluggish, but give a little better ride. I definitely wouldn't consider it numb, but mine's a C2 and I haven't driven a C4, do they feel heavier in general?

For me the Sumis are much nicer on the freeways to and from work because they don't get knocked around by surface imperfections as much. The SO2s are stickier, but still, the Sumis are predictable.

For the money, I will buy another set of Sumis when these are done. They are cheap, wear incredibly, have decent wet weather response and look nice on the car. Im putting the majority of my miles on the car commuting though—prolly 15k a year. If it weren't a daily driver I would go with something stickier and lighter feeling.

Oh and as they age they feel a little more slippery. After 6-8 months or 6-8k Miles I feel this very slightly, just not quite as sticky as new. A friend has 'em on his Mustang and he said the same thing about his. But at the price if that bothers you just buy another set. Some of these really sticky tires don't even last that long.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Far from numb feeling. I notice the wind noise far more than road noise from tires. On the C4S the fact that these are not as sharp at turn in may bother some but again, this is for a DD. I have had mine in all conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry, track) and for the money and my purposes they are a great compromise. I really don't think I could be talking my wife into $600 just for rear tires every year!

That is an interesting point, Amfab, about them feeling a bit less grippy after 6k miles. I have noticed this but attributed it to my colder weather. I'll be interested to see if I can break them loose as easy in the Summer. Either way, I find them to be very predictable when they do break loose.

The way I look at it is I have several other modifications I'd rather sink money into (PSS10's, LWF when my clutch goes out) before sticky tires every 8K.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Humm, I was thinking also about the Yoko S drive.

I'm going to try the Sumitomo HTR Z III, only a little more $$ then the II's & have good wear ratings, & seam to be low on noise!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
I drive the HRIIs...
I just switched to these. It took about 500 miles before they settled down and I stopped experiencing some flightiness on the rears on interstate lane changes.

Now that that's behind me, I'm enjoying the Sumi's tremendously.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always go for the cheapies of decent quality for driver duty. Still waiting for something to wear on the C4S (18K on the rears, still over 1/2 tread).

Guess you just need to consider water channeling ability, too!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use S02A's on my DD. I quite happy with how they perform in the rain. I put about 10k miles a year on the car and the current tires are over 1 year old with plenty of wear left.

Quick Reply: C4 tire of choice for Commuting?